PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hampshire Pipes & Cigars

Might Stick Around
Dec 30, 2021
Hampshire UK
1. Get good advice from the store before buying your first pipe
2. Listen and take heed to that good advice!
3. Buy small sample packs of tobacco and try them all
4. Listen to and learn from experienced smokers
5. Sit back, enjoy, don’t give up straight away

Jun 25, 2021
England
1. Experiment with moisture levels and packing densities to learn what works best for you.
2. Take your time and be patient with the process.
3. Keep your pipe clean, and clean after you use it.
4. Relighting is fine. Smoking a pipe is not a stunt.
5. Figure out what you want to get from pipe smoking and learn what you need to learn to attain that goal.
Take good note. These are the only pieces of advice worth listening to. Forget all the rest.

Jan 27, 2020
Buy a Falcon, buy Newminister 400, Frank method, don't fret over the tobacco and number of pipes others here have, either enjoy smoking a pipe or not.

Reactions: LeafErikson

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
OK, several people have mentioned straight pipes. Why? I've only got one that is semi-straight, the stem is curved a bit. I've mostly bought bent because I like the looks of them better.
I think a lot of people feel that they smoke dryer either bc less saliva runs down the pipe or moisture from the smoke doesn’t collect in the shank as much. Also bc proper drilling may be easier to achieve in straight shapes.

Reactions: Irish Piper

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
OK, several people have mentioned straight pipes. Why? I've only got one that is semi-straight, the stem is curved a bit. I've mostly bought bent because I like the looks of them better.
Function over form is the most likely response(s) you’ll get. I do find the conversation interesting and there are some die hard believers. So, be careful what you say about straight pipes…you might get shanked.

Reactions: Sidehatch

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany
Function over form is the most likely response(s) you’ll get. I do find the conversation interesting and there are some die hard believers. So, be careful what you say about straight pipes…you might get shanked.
To each his own is what I say. ?

I just think that straight pipes aren't really my style.

I assumed that the reason people were recommending them was because of some sort of functional difference, but I've also read that there really isn't one. So I was a bit confused.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
There's a lot of great advice listed above. I seriously doubt I could add anything that hasn't been suggest already. Jesse said it best, I think. I guess I might add that when it comes to flakes, try several different prep methods to decide which suits you best. Rub out, fold and stuff, or cube cut. And above all, have fun!

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
1. Pack loose, gradually tamp tighter as needed if going out too often
2. You dont have to smoke it all. Throw out the bottom half if it starts to taste bad.
3. Learn to retrohale- smell the tobacco.
4. Smoke slowly.
5. It takes time to get the hang of it. A long time. Relights arent bad.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
1. Don't overthink it - smoking a pipe is meant to be relaxing. Enjoy the journey!
2. Smoke what you like & like what you smoke. Don't worry about what others might think.
3. Having to relight frequently isn't a sign of weakness.
4. Stir the dottle & use pipe cleaners liberally.
5. If you have to choose between buying another pipe or buying more tobacco, buy more tobacco.