PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I feel a spiritual connection to two geographic names. The first is a hill in New Zealand, and the second is a town in Wales:

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch​

The problem is that bureaucracies suffer from spaceism. As in, they are spaceist. The forms 'n' shit that you're always filling out at their request don't allow for enough characters for people with long names.

And that situation causes me anxiety and a bit of outrage. Like, you can't be bothered to provide enough form space for members of the abundantly-lettered-name community?

So, naturally, being American, I want to sue 'em for emotional distress & etc.

Anyone know a lawyer who specializes in such things?

Also, which of the two names do you think suits me best? I find them equally appealing, so will go with the one that other people seem to like. (Only one chance to make a first impression, right?)

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I feel a spiritual connection to two geographic names. The first is a hill in New Zealand, and the second is a town in Wales:

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch​

The problem is that bureaucracies suffer from spaceism. As in, they are spaceist. The forms 'n' shit that you're always filling out at their request don't allow for enough characters for people with long names.

And that situation causes me anxiety and a bit of outrage. Like, you can't be bothered to provide enough form space for members of the abundantly-lettered-name community?

So, naturally, being American, I want to sue 'em for emotional distress & etc.

Anyone know a lawyer who specializes in such things?

Also, which of the two names do you think suits me best? I find them equally appealing, so will go with the one that other people seem to like. (Only one chance to make a first impression, right?)

I don’t see the dilemma. Use one as your given name and the other as your surname.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
You know the meaning of the name in te reo Māori right??

My first guess would have been “if you can read this you’re driving too close”, but after consulting the Wikipedia translation, "The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the slider, climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his kōauau (flute) to his loved one" I have to wonder if played his flute is some kind of euphemism.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Funny that jguss would comment on this thread, because something interesting regarding HIS name has dogged him his whole life.

Anyone who has been around him knows that anytime someone is NOT speaking---no matter where he is, outdoors, indoors, at home, restaurants, whatever---he shouts, "Yes? Yes? What? WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT, DAMMIT?" constantly. As in, non-stop any time there's silence.

Why? Because he insists his name---Jon Guss---is pronounced as follows.

Like so:

J - as in Fjord
O - as in Trouble
N- as in Autumn
G - as in Gnat
U - as in Guest
S - as in Island

Kinda whacky, right?

I chalk it up to him having grown up around Seattle, but I'm not sure if things were quite so, um... unusual as they are today when he was a kid.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
My first guess would have been “if you can read this you’re driving too close”, but after consulting the Wikipedia translation, "The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the slider, climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his kōauau (flute) to his loved one" I have to wonder if played his flute is some kind of euphemism.
Yeah and another version is:

"The hill of the flute playing by Tamatea – who was blown hither from afar, had a slit penis, grazed his knees climbing mountains, fell on the earth, and encircled the land – to his beloved one".

Last edited:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Yeah and another version is:

"The hill of the flute playing by Tamatea – who was blown hither from afar, had a slit penis, grazed his knees climbing mountains, fell on the earth, and encircled the land – to his beloved one".

Thanks. I could have happily gone my whole life without knowing what I learned by foolishly clicking on that link.

Last edited:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
The new names are quite fetching and will certainly be much easier to remember and spell. Perhaps you could update your avatar to speak them in their entirety with a moving GIF? In a suitable feline lisping tone of course. That would be special. It would also please the moderators I would think. ?

Do you mean felt it in an abstract way, or an experiential one?
Monty GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Status
Not open for further replies.