PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Mental being is an enduring concerning of mine. I'm prone to acute anxiety, and I often struggle with bouts of ennui and seasonal depression. Exercise, sleep, and a reasonable diet are all fairly crucial in curbing these things. And while the family pediatrician is unlikely to recommend pipe smoking, it's been a crucial component in lifting my general mood. While I've had a few extended hiatuses from smoking, I'm immediately reminded why I love it whenever I return. My family notices how it affects my disposition. I'm more content, patient, and less prone to fuss at the kids. In short, it's been great for my mental well-being.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the pipe and its relationship to your own flourishing.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I believe the ritual of smoking a pipe is just as calming as the effect of the tobacco. Packing, lighting and rhythmic puffing combined with the fact that most of us sit still while smoking may induce a semi trance like state. I find myself being more contemplative while smoking in my rocking chair outside and the cares of the world do not intrude for a short while.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
I developed anxiety 5 years ago, never really had it before. I know that in order to make anxiety go away, you have to focus on what causes the anxiety. When I started smoking pipe, the breathing technique, the slowing down, relaxing and the mental conversations you have with yourself and pipe, all do help. Cigarette smokers relax when they have a cigarette because the breathing technique is similar to a yoga or meditative breathing, plus the nicotine helps lol. There’s so much that’s going on in our lives, sometimes people for get to just let go. It’s not just smoking a pipe. Smoke your pipe in calm place, take in your surroundings, and just be present for a moment without all the noise of life.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Anxiety is a true bitch and something I have to stay on top of too. Pipe smoking has played a crucial role in keeping my mind right. It’s not just the nicotine either. There are much more efficient ways to get nicotine but those options don’t give me the positive effects that I’m looking for.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
If someone is having a really difficult time, they should seek help. Depending on what the experience is, you also have to see the right therapist. People often go the wrong therapist for treatment. If it’s something from your past that was traumatizing, then they need to see a trauma therapist. Many people go to a regular therapist for these matters instead of a trauma and get the wrong help. Talking to people can really help fix things but it also takes a personal responsibility of wanting to change to get there. My mother has a lot of mental illness and as a child she took it out on me. I was going to go to school to become a therapist but decided to fix myself first. The pipe is not the fix, it’s just a means of facing your thoughts at times so you can look inward and help yourself. It takes tools to fix things in life and as long as you’re not harming yourself and others, use what tools you need to fix it. Enjoy the one chance you have at life brothers! Enjoy those little things and if you do get sad, tell someone and ask for help.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Smoking a pipe is a convenient way for me to get nicotine when I'm busy working and either am too occupied to give my attention to a cigarette or have no place to spit when chewing.
My grandpa stopped smoking cigarettes when he was 45 but then started chewing skol tobacco. My grandma yelled at him one day for spitting and he never spit again while chewing lol. He lived to 91.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My grandpa stopped smoking cigarettes when he was 45 but then started chewing skol tobacco. My grandma yelled at him one day for spitting and he never spit again while chewing lol. He lived to 91.
Normally I've got cans or a brass spittoon but some areas at my job don't allow open containers. Any area that is free of flammable vapors is smoke friendly.