Guess Who's Dehydrated From Severe Food Poisoning?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
It has always interested me that various animals, like vultures and carrion eaters of many kinds have digestive bacteria that handle human food poisoning with ease. Spoilage in dead animals that would kill people in an hour is milk and honey to the stomachs of turkey vultures, etc. It's just yummy to them. That stink just draws them in from a mile away like the smell of fresh baked bread. I don't much like seeing vultures, but I have to respect their adaptations and ability to clean up our world. As my uncle said, when he dragged the occasional stray dead calf or deer carcass to the far corner of his acreage with his tractor, "The vultures have never let me down."
Friend of mine said he came up on a Vulture in the middle of some Ohio country road. The car got close and the bird needed to move fast. Said it vacated it's gut as he was flying off and it splattered on the car. Ate through the paint like the blood from the creature in Alien. lol

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Friend of mine said he came up on a Vulture in the middle of some Ohio country road. The car got close and the bird needed to move fast. Said it vacated it's gut as he was flying off and it splattered on the car. Ate through the paint like the blood from the creature in Alien. lol
they have interesting biology and part of it is having stomach acid that makes ours (which is pretty intense) look like a nice hand wash.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
This idiot:

View attachment 115872

4 days in Mexico drinking like a maniac and eating questionable things? No problem.

Leftover microwavable Benihana entree? Near death experience and down for 4 days.

Thought I was going to die the first night sitting on the can while holding a bucket.

Another 3 nights of misery.

Tonight I got a liter of fluid with a shot of something to stop the nausea and a prescription for antibiotics.
Kinda appropos that your t-shirt says "Dining Out"!

Get well soon!

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Glad you're recovering. So sorry for your misery and illness!

Last week was sort of like walking on a piece of glass stuck inside my shoe, . . . err, "sort of!" I think the phrase used by the colo rectal surgeon who "worked me into his double booked Friday schedule," as a favor to my primary care physician--"colo rectal infected abscess." Ouch!

So Friday afternoon, he says something like, "We'd normally do this next door in a surgical suite because it can be a little painful. But they're all booked up. Do you want to wait 'til next week." I'm like--"Let's fix this Now," Yelp Yelp Yelp

I told him I was glad he became an ass doctor. He smiled.
kindly
mike

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Glad you're recovering. So sorry for your misery and illness!

Last week was sort of like walking on a piece of glass stuck inside my shoe, . . . err, "sort of!" I think the phrase used by the colo rectal surgeon who "worked me into his double booked Friday schedule," as a favor to my primary care physician--"colo rectal infected abscess." Ouch!

So Friday afternoon, he says something like, "We'd normally do this next door in a surgical suite because it can be a little painful. But they're all booked up. Do you want to wait 'til next week." I'm like--"Let's fix this Now," Yelp Yelp Yelp

I told him I was glad he became an ass doctor. He smiled.
kindly
mike
81Og3EcQzYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife reviewed lower priced restaurants for New York Newsday, an edition run by the Long Island paper on Manhattan for some years, earning a tribute of respect from The New York Times when they finally shut down, and the staff moved back to work on Long Island. She can spot acceptable restaurants at highway speed. But her main criteria whether to eat at a place is smell. She can walk in the door and tell immediately if the grease used in frying is good quality and fresh or not. If not, out the door she goes. It's a good predictor.

Aug 1, 2012
My wife reviewed lower priced restaurants for New York Newsday, an edition run by the Long Island paper on Manhattan for some years, earning a tribute of respect from The New York Times when they finally shut down, and the staff moved back to work on Long Island. She can spot acceptable restaurants at highway speed. But her main criteria whether to eat at a place is smell. She can walk in the door and tell immediately if the grease used in frying is good quality and fresh or not. If not, out the door she goes. It's a good predictor.
Many people say that "fried foods are always OK" but after being instructed by the head cook to put food that fell on the floor back in the fryer and then serve it I have some issues unless I know the kitchen protocols. Oddly, many smaller businesses have better fryer/kitchen protocols than big ones along the lines of Applebees and Chili's.

Reactions: BROBS and kurtbob

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I know what it is and it's not the old Benihana entree. You saw me post that I liked this pipe and then you went and bought it. Now you are having a guilt ridden psychosomatic reaction which will only get worse until you send me that pipe. Is pipe greed worth becoming impotent and soiling your pants at business meetings and family events? I think not. rotf

1640055160982.png

Aug 1, 2012
Now all you have worry bout is contracting c-diff from the antibiotics messing with your bowel flora. Nah, you should be fine. ?

Feel better my man.?☕
I know you meant it well but to a guy like me who, despite his best efforts can let stuff like that work it's way into his thoughts...it's not cool to bring up things like that. I don't know about the OP's preference but I'd rather unavoidable crap (pun intended) be left for when I'm experiencing the symptoms of it rather than when I'm just in misery of the regular kind.

We could also mention that he has to worry about incurable staph infections, long covid and other nasty hospital infections but what's the point?

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I know you meant it well but to a guy like me who, despite his best efforts can let stuff like that work it's way into his thoughts...it's not cool to bring up things like that. I don't know about the OP's preference but I'd rather unavoidable crap (pun intended) be left for when I'm experiencing the symptoms of it rather than when I'm just in misery of the regular kind.

We could also mention that he has to worry about incurable staph infections, long covid and other nasty hospital infections but what's the point?
Well, I’m sure he doesn’t think I wish him or anyone Ill and it was just in good fun (as was clearly evident in my remarks). Sometimes when folks are down they can gain a lot from a laugh. If he has an issue I’m sure he’ll tell me. Thanks for your opinion. ☕

Aug 1, 2012
Well, I’m sure he doesn’t think I wish him or anyone Ill and it was just in good fun (as was clearly evident in my remarks). Sometimes when folks are down they can gain a lot from a laugh. If he has an issue I’m sure he’ll tell me. Thanks for your opinion. ☕
I feel what you're saying and agree that laughing at the situation can be great medicine. I'm just saying that written media doesn't always translate the way we intend when it comes to humor. Trust me, I've tried and fallen flat enough times.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I feel what you're saying and agree that laughing at the situation can be great medicine. I'm just saying that written media doesn't always translate the way we intend when it comes to humor. Trust me, I've tried and fallen flat enough times.
Indeed! But, since our feelings are aired and intentions are clear. I think we can agree that no ill-intentions were meant in any way. Next time you have a concern regarding my comments, just PM me and we can talk it over. That way we won’t clog up another’s post with this back & forth.
Merry Christmas. ?☕

BTW…forgot to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas ? & Happy Holidays @shanez.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Thanks for all the well wishes.

I started this to laugh at myself a little and help make myself feel better.

My stomach would cramp and hurt like heck whenever I put anything in it so I hadn't eaten hardly anything and apparently not drank enough fluids for 4 days.

I felt a ton better after IV fluids and anti nausea medicine.

I nibbled through half a cheese sandwich afterwards and almost felt euphoric.

Watching what I eat and drink for a while before going back to my normal diet.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Restaurants maybe, but the best fish and chips in England is near closing time, when they've been frying for 8 hours :P

Reactions: mso489 and BROBS