PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Have a bottle, somewhere. But never used it. Just wipe with jeweler's rag and that seems to keep mine in good condition. But with moving and all, I need to clean them up.

Reactions: Briar Lee

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
When I tried using softie bits, I found that leaving them on would discolor the area it covered. So, don't leave them on!
I use the silicone ones. They're more pliable and can be easily put on and removed, so much so that you only need one. I managed to find them in small and large sizes and in black and translucent silicone. They work much better than the traditional rubber ones.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
One thing I started to do different in regards to helping keep oxidation away. My Dr. Grabow dated from 1967-1969, Commodore 65 Zulu with a vulcanite stem, I don’t clinch it at all.

After I take a few sips off the pipe, with my index finger and thumb, I rub gently the stem where I had my mouth, noticing that the removal of the saliva, replaced by oils on the fingers puts a oil and sheen back on the stem which seems to protect it.

Then, because I’m a really slow smoker, several times during my smoke with the pipe, I’ll unscrew the stem off and run some Obsidian oil on it for a few minutes, then buff off, and of course when I’m done smoking for 30 minutes let it sit then buff.

Doing all this, that stem shines and looks like the day it was new.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
H-Myst- Is there any real benefit to a 30 minute- or anytime-soaking the stem in oil??? My method is to vigorously rub a half dot of oil on a cloth that already has some oil in it. That's it. No further buffing required.

And I'd never use olive oil, no matter how virginal, though it'd be a problem only on a pipe that's put away for a long time. (Handling removes the oil over time so it doesn't have time to turn rancid.)

Reactions: mingc and Briar Lee

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have found that vulcanite needs to breath and a softie can leave a line if the Vulcanite is buffed from time to time. Not the best pics as it is still dark out. But the line can be rubbed out.

Attachments

• 1549BBC9-D268-4149-8D0E-56FF9FCFC0E8.jpeg
    1549BBC9-D268-4149-8D0E-56FF9FCFC0E8.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 2
  • 0867BAAE-8516-45F3-B0A8-8AC285FD60EB.jpeg
    0867BAAE-8516-45F3-B0A8-8AC285FD60EB.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
H-Myst- Is there any real benefit to a 30 minute- or anytime-soaking the stem in oil??? My method is to vigorously rub a half dot of oil on a cloth that already has some oil in it. That's it. No further buffing required.

And I'd never use olive oil, no matter how virginal, though it'd be a problem only on a pipe that's put away for a long time. (Handling removes the oil over time so it doesn't have time to turn rancid.)

I can't say I've tested times. Most of the time, I just do the same thing you do. Other times, like when I am cleaning a bunch of pipes, I'll let them sit 30 minutes to an hour.

Reactions: Briar Lee and mingc

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
It doesn't just protect against UV, but also against oxidation caused by saliva. Is it a cleaner? Technically no, but putting it on makes it appear cleaner. Think of it as along the same lines as car wax. You put that on to protect your paint. If you wax a dirty car, it will look better but there is still dirt under there. It's best to start from freshly cleaned and buffed. This is true whether you are using Obsidian, mineral oil or other.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I acquired some of this excellent product from @hauntedmyst and am simply waiting for some lbepens Hard Rubber Deoxidizer to come in the mail so that I can deoxidize my horrifically oxidized stems before applying Obsidian. I can't wait!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I acquired some of this excellent product from @hauntedmyst and am simply waiting for some lbepens Hard Rubber Deoxidizer to come in the mail so that I can deoxidize my horrifically oxidized stems before applying Obsidian. I can't wait!
If using the Ibepen Deoxidiser, I'd recommend leaving the stem soak for 2-3 days rather than hours if it is heavily oxidised.

Then wet-sanding with coarser Micromesh pads, followed by Obsidian oil and finer Micromesh pads.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
If using the Ibepen Deoxidiser, I'd recommend leaving the stem soak for 2-3 days rather than hours if it is heavily oxidised.

Then wet-sanding with coarser Micromesh pads, followed by Obsidian oil and finer Micromesh pads.
Why bother with the Ibepen bath if you're going to sand it anyway? Does it soften the oxidized layer that needs to be removed?