Any Older Guys Remember This from their Youth?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada

" By the 1953 model year, car radios sold in the United States had to be marked with the Civil Defense triangle logo at 640 and 1240 kHz "

unknown.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Remember going into utility spaces in the basement of schools and public buildings and finding stacks of provisions, presumably potable water and some sort of foodstuffs? All with the radioactive symbol, which seems a little counterintuitive. The provisions were well intended but in urban areas misunderstood the survivability of the potential attack. More of a morale ritual than a viable plan, I think.

I remember being an eight ear old kid listening to the instructions we were to follow if there was a nuke attack. WTF I thought. Who is kidding who here. We'd be incinerated toast and we're supposed to follow these goofball instructions. The fifties were great times in America.
We had them till at least the early 70's. But, we lived near one of the largest US Arsenals. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it, but the thought makes it even more ridiculous. If they had taken out the Arsenal, nothing would have saved us.