Any Older Guys Remember This from their Youth?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Yeah, I remember the CONELRAD settings on the AM radios. How many people realize that the "wall of sound" concept in music was because it sounded better on those old tube radios afflicted with vibrator hash.

My Dad bought a 57 Dodge with a push button trans and had to get the salesman to help when he couldn't get it to start after signing the paperwork. Turns out you had to hold the neutral button in while you turned the key. Who knew?

Reactions: philobeddoe

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm barely old enough to remember the Cold War, but I do remember my first car. It was a Buick with a plush bench seat, and it was kind of like sitting on a couch while driving.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Given the yields of the nuclear weapons deployed up until about 1958 duck and cover would’ve actually been fairly effective at reducing immediate casualties.

After that point the Soviet tactic of compensating for poor delivery accuracy with large yield devices and targeting cities (counter value) as as opposed to military targets would’ve made immediate protection of city dwellers somewhat moot.

Now almost all of the nuclear nations have extremely accurate delivery systems allowing for counter force targeting with much smaller warheads. Civil defense measures could be useful again.

Nuclear weapons design and effects have been a topic of interest to me for decades. An incredible amount of what drove decisions on both sides throughout the Cold War was driven by the rapidly changing technologies in nuclear weapons and their delivery systems.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Toast
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I remember being an eight ear old kid listening to the instructions we were to follow if there was a nuke attack. WTF I thought. Who is kidding who here. We'd be incinerated toast and we're supposed to follow these goofball instructions. The fifties were great times in America.
I remember having to get under the desk in grade school to practice for an Atomic bomb blast. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
I always thought that it'd just be better to go right away. I mean, after a nuclear attack, the earth is uninhabitable for like a thousand years or something just as crazy.
Yea there's totally no one living in Hiroshima or Nagasaki right now.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Reactions: cosmicfolklore