PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just saw DUNE. This edition of the Frank Herbert epic epitomizes everything I loathe about self important films. It is cold, soulless, and devoid of anything resembling characters to care about. Slow, bloated, crammed with filler, lacking wit, and barely skimming the surface of Herbert’s world.
It’s like watching 2 1/2 hours of screen savers.
If long stretches of “meaningful” stillness and vacant prettiness are your thing, DUNE is for you.
2 out of 5, and that 2 is for production design. The rest of this mess is a 0.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I saw it recently and totally agree with op.
A lot of beautiful panorama scenes but the acting
and story development feels bland, numb.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It is cold, soulless, and devoid of anything resembling characters to care about. Slow, bloated, crammed with filler, lacking wit, and barely skimming the surface of Herbert’s world."

Sadly I think this could well apply to so many modern films. They are pumped out with increasing regularity that no time or thought is actually spent on character building, compelling storyline etc.

Regards,

Jay.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Yeah as soon as Zendaya said Harkonnen as Karkanin, I was done. Pretty sure she never watched the original.

I didn’t realize they’d make it a series. If that was the case they could have done so much more.

The new Bladerunner was fantastic, or so I thought. Updates can be done, it just isn’t easy.

Now I want Logan’s Run!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I've never read the book and I know absolutely nothing about Dune or the story. I was planning on watching it tonight based on some clips I've seen. Now, probably not.

After Googling it, I see there is a 1984 David Lynch DUNE. Any reviews on this version? Maybe I should watch that instead.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Slow, bloated, crammed with filler, lacking wit, and barely skimming the surface of Herbert’s world.
That's really too bad. I was looking forward to it. Dune might just not be able to translate to a screen.

1984 David Lynch DUNE
Don't Scott. Don't do it!

But the book might be my favorite book I've ever read.