PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
Are we talking makers or shapes? As far as shapes go, there are countless variations. For makers, are we talking factory or artisan? For factory, I don't believe there is a clear favorite- maybe Peterson, maybe Dunhill. For artisan, the undisputed (IMO) masters are Tao, Balleby, Ilsted, and Manduela.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
In my experience, bulldogs come in all sizes and chamber dimensions. Just pay attention to legnth and chamber dimensions. This classic Dunny bulldog, that I’m about to fire up is rather small and I clench with no problems.
View attachment 103253
This looks nice, and maintains the muscular aspect of the bulldog i really like. Wonder how a 2+ cm width and 4.5+cm chamber would feel. Needs more wood than a billiard.

Reactions: JOHN72
This looks nice, and maintains the muscular aspect of the bulldog i really like. Wonder how a 2+ cm width and 4.5+cm chamber would feel. Needs more wood than a billiard.
I haven’t had a problem clenching any of my dogs, nor do I have the jaws of the Capt’n. If there was any pipe best designed to clench, I’d think the bulldog is it.

Reactions: karam

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Out of curiosity and given i am eyeing to get a bulldog in the nearish future, can they be reasonably big and with deep chambers, or is the shape and leverage on the jaw while clenching preclude that? I always thought that big pipes sort of need to be bent not to become unclenchable.
If you're wanting a big bulldog with a deep bowl, then the Peterson SH squire is for you.

Mar 1, 2014
Enjoying some Ukrainian bright leaf homegrown in my custom silver drip bent bully. Currently my favorite.
View attachment 103203

Cosmic is that your Silverwork or did you find someone who performs to your expectations?
When precious metals are your area of expertise I'd expect it to be very difficult for a pipemaker to produce a satisfactory piece.

Mar 1, 2014
Reactions: karam
Cosmic is that your Silverwork or did you find someone who performs to your expectations?
When precious metals are your area of expertise I'd expect it to be very difficult for a pipemaker to produce a satisfactory piece.
Yes sir, I have been adding bands and stone work to some of my pipes for a few years now.

Hey cos, that pipe with the custom silver you first posted looks like a ladies pipe. Do you smoke that while wearing your best dresses.
Ha ha... you were so poor growing up that if you weren't a boy, you'd have had nothing to play with.

I heard your wife used to scream a lot during sex... especially when you walked in on her. puffy