What Do You Do With Your Used Glass Jars?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I use mylar bags for that. with each entry labeled with a multicolored printed tag, and then enter same in spreadsheet.

BTW, would you please consider:

Putting your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Does anyone else collect the smell of exhaled pipe tobacco in their used jars?
Let's not forget this gem, while we're at it.

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
I have jars used by my mother and grandmothers, they don't go bad. As long as the rubber is pliable and not torn, the lids are good to go. Lids never wear out as long as rust doesn't get them.

Why would anyone throw out jars?

Reactions: Duck

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Out of curiosity, have other members noticed a continued shortage of mason jars and a price increase for those available?

I uses to infuse my own alcohol and could purchase wide mouth jars for about $1 a piece, including the 32 ounce quart jars.

For the life of me, it's been nearly impossible to find 8 ounce half pint jars. If found, they are around $3 a jar on the cheap side.

Side note, some alcohol infusions look amazing in the bottle ... like apricot brandy. The apricots plump and look like golf balls that are aesthetically pleasing surrounded in brown liquid while contained in a shapely brandy bottle.
Yup, 1/2 pint wide mouths are still in short supply where I am.

Reactions: Servant King

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I am glad to hear that you don't allow paper to touch the inside of your jars.
Haha, just teasing! I don't even wash them before putting tobacco in them, but if I had an old one I'd be comfortable washing it with soap and water and normally it would air dry, but a clean dish towel wouldn't make me worry a bit. (Don't think paper towels are any less clean than cotton swabs, lol).

Jan 27, 2020
Haha, just teasing! I don't even wash them before putting tobacco in them, but if I had an old one I'd be comfortable washing it with soap and water and normally it would air dry, but a clean dish towel wouldn't make me worry a bit. (Don't think paper towels are any less clean than cotton swabs, lol).

What if they leave the glass factory touched by a worker who has herpes?

• Wow
Reactions: Servant King
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Wash them in hot water and dish soap , rinse with hot demineralized water !
Air dry them. Not with paper towels, pipe cleaners , my deceased mother in law's undies etc.
Put them in the oven for 10-15 minutes on 110 Celsius to sterilize. Don't have herpes btw.
Bob's your uncle :)

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
i wash and re-use them with blends that were closest to them incase there's any leftover aromas. i.e. i dont put VA's in jars that had Latakia.