Longevity Of Samuel Gawith Tins?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Some with lesser faith than me in the rectangle tins will suggest putting them in jars. And, I am not going to argue with that.
I however have had dozens of tins for approximately 7 years, and they are fine. I go through occasionally and try to pull the lids off by hand. A sealed tin will NOT pull apart by hand,. so feel free to give it a good pull.
I can not predict the future, but I will most likely have them smoked in a few more years. I am not worried, but I do check them occasionally.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Approximately, for how long will the tobacco be secure in rectangle Samuel Gawith tins?
Months, years?
I can’t answer with certainty how long SG tins will last, but I can testify to having many 8-12 year old tins of SG St. James Flake and FVF that are doing just fine.
I personally prefer to leave tobaccos in there original tins and have multiple tins that are 10,15 to 20+ years old and generally I’ve had very few issues.
In my experience the idea of tins being a poor means of storing tobaccos is over-hyped. Once in a while a tin will fail much like the cork on an occasional bottle of wine will fail. It happens, but rarely if stored correctly.

In my experience the idea of tins being a poor means of storing tobaccos is over-hyped. Once in a while a tin will fail much like the cork on an occasional bottle of wine will fail. It happens, but rarely if stored correctly.
So, I don't have to open my wines as I buy them and store them in quart jars? puffy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can’t answer with certainty how long SG tins will last, but I can testify to having many 8-12 year old tins of SG St. James Flake and FVF that are doing just fine.
I personally prefer to leave tobaccos in there original tins and have multiple tins that are 10,15 to 20+ years old and generally I’ve had very few issues.
It happens often enough that even the apostle of keeping it in the tin, Greg Pease, changed his stance on it several years ago. He's a long term cellarer, with tins that go back many years, and as he put it, "found a number of disappointments in my cellar". So he changed his recommendation to jarring for the long run.

I have tins that have lasted more than ten years, but even after 8 it begins to get dodgy, and the odds that the tin will fail increases with time. And why should anyone be surprised at this? These weren't intended for long term storage. Pressure seals on a rectangular tin do not have equally distributed pressure and are leaking from the get go.

Got any doubts about that? Fill a tupperware with tins and seal down the top. Then give it a couple of weeks. Do this with Virginias in one container and English in another. After a couple of weeks lean over the container, pop the top, and take a sniff. You'll smell the Virginias and their toppings. Pop the top with the English blends. You'll smell the Latakia and orientals. Your tins are slowly leaking from the day they're made. It's only a matter of time until they fail to hold a seal, and the difference that they hold up can be a minute variation in the seal at the start.

Aside from that, tins can be reliable for 8 or so years and then start to go.

It happens often enough that even the apostle of keeping it in the tin, Greg Pease, changed his stance on it several years ago. He's a long term cellarer, with tins that go back many years, and as he put it, "found a number of disappointments in my cellar". So he changed his recommendation to jarring for the long run.

I have tins that have lasted more than ten years, but even after 8 it begins to get dodgy, and the odds that the tin will fail increases with time. And why should anyone be surprised at this? These weren't intended for long term storage. Pressure seals on a rectangular tin do not have equally distributed pressure and are leaking from the get go.

Got any doubts about that? Fill a tupperware with tins and seal down the top. Then give it a couple of weeks. Do this with Virginias in one container and English in another. After a couple of weeks lean over the container, pop the top, and take a sniff. You'll smell the Virginias and their toppings. Pop the top with the English blends. You'll smell the Latakia and orientals. Your tins are slowly leaking from the day they're made. It's only a matter of time until they fail to hold a seal, and the difference that they hold up can be a minute variation in the seal at the start.

Aside from that, tins can be reliable for 8 or so years and then start to go.
I'm not arguing against what you've said, Sable....
but @glpease ...
If tins fail so often, why not sell your blends as bulks? Why keep selling us inferior packaging?

More money to be had with tins and cellaring isn't a manufacturer's primary concern. Their products are made for immediate consumption.
I know, I know, but Greg promotes cellaring and changing the tins to jars once you get them. Why not just sell us the tobacco for twice as much as other bulks and spare us the process of having to rejar them? It seems like he invests a lot into going against his suggestions.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know, I know, but Greg promotes cellaring and changing the tins to jars once you get them. Why not just sell us the tobacco for twice as much as other bulks and spare us the process of having to rejar them? It seems like he invests a lot into going against his suggestions.
?‍♂️I just cellar because I'm a cheap ass and am trying to stay ahead of higher taxes.