PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Hi Greg,

My source for that was a post you made to Mike Gluckler's YouTube Blog several years ago where you stated that you had changed your position and recommended jarring tobacco as soon as possible and aging it in the jar. This would have been around fall 2018, if I remember the time frame correctly. If this was someone impersonating you, you might ask Mike and see if he can send you the post.
Here's what I said, transcribed from the video:

"If the tobacco comes in the flat vacuum sealed tins, especially the rectangular ones, you’re probably better off jarring it if long term aging is your goal. I’ve lost quite a few flat tins to seals that failed over the years.

[stuff about vacuum bagging flat tins as a possible solution...]

Also, if you buy large tins, transferring to several smaller jars is a good idea for long term aging. Once a tobacco is nicely aged, it will begin to lose some of its complexity as soon as the seal is broken, and every time you open that container, a little of that goodness escapes. The angels’ share. I’ve always only aged 2oz or 50g tins for this reason. Once I open one, I want to smoke it up over a fairly short period."

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks Greg,

Glad to know I wasn't hallucinating about that. I've got no problem with round screw tops. Those have held up well for me. The square and rectangular ones? Somewhat less satisfactory after a decade and more. It's not a design for holding a seal long term. The pressure around the perimeter isn't distributed equally in a design like that.
Also, after reading that post I decided to decant the poundage I had of Haddo's, and am glad I did so, as the bare vertical seams between the coated sections were beginning to corrode. I may have interrupted years of aging, but I'll take that over losing a large chunk due to tin failure.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As a newbie I have had trouble even getting some of these tins open, I can't believe they would lose pressure. About two months ago I got a tin of FVF. I got a coin between my finger and thumb, and twisted at the edge. Only the coin gave way, and the nail of my index finger inserted itself, with force, under the lip of the lid. Needless to say the lid didn't come off, but a large part of my finger nail did. Very painful. Well, good to know I just have to wait eight years and it will open itself lol
The tamper part of the Czech tool works amazingly well at popping tins. I tried it when short of available coins and have never used a coin since.