PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
To be fair, I imagine having smoked as many blends as you have its probably hard to remember some of them.
I used to remember every single thing about every single blend I smoked until I got to around 2,500 reviews. Many of my reviews came from trade samples, gifts, or pipe shows back when free samples were given out. In those cases, I often had only so much of a blend to smoke, so some of those have become a little harder to remember. As a guess, I probably got 800-1000 reviews just from trading.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I used to remember every single thing about every single blend I smoked until I got to around 2,500 reviews. Many of my reviews came from trade samples, gifts, or pipe shows back when free samples were given out. In those cases, I often had only so much of a blend to smoke, so some of those have become a little harder to remember. As a guess, I probably got 800-1000 reviews just from trading.
That number blows my mind. First, there are 2,500 blends available, and second, that you've actually tried that many.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Ennerdale is your big brassy aunt - the one who wears too much lipstick and gives all the kids wet kisses. She's an eccentric lady with outdated sensibilities, an exclusively hot pink wardrobe, an encyclopedic knowledge of erotic literature, and a penchant for flavored liquors. She talks too loud, has absolutely no filter, and you will smell her three days after she leaves.

Here she is ... Aunt Ennerdale. Eleven out of ten on the sauce scale.

View attachment 75179

I might have to revise this assessment.
Ennerdale has been a real lakeland powerhouse for me in the past, but the stack of tins I bought from the early April drop fell way short of my previous experience and expectations. Batch variation is a real thing with this stuff.

The last bag of #7 Broken Flake I bought hit pretty damn hard with the sauce ... on par with the ennerdale I was thinking of when I wrote the post above.

Last edited:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
I might have to revise this assessment.
Ennerdale has been a real lakeland powerhouse for me in the past, but the stack of tins I bought from the early April drop fell way short of my previous experience and expectations. Batch variation is a real thing with this stuff.

The last bag of #7 Broken Flake I bought hit pretty damn hard with the sauce ... on par with the ennerdale I was thinking of when I wrote about the post above.
Yes, my January orders of #7 Broken and Kendal Flake were both up there on the sauce content. I was pleased!

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
The more and more I go through my couple ounces of Bob's Chocolate Flake and an Bob's Square cut, the more intrigued I become with full on Lakeland. One of these I'll have to try to find a same of Ennerdale (or something in between) to try out more Lakeland flavor!

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The more and more I go through my couple ounces of Bob's Chocolate Flake and an Bob's Square cut, the more intrigued I become with full on Lakeland. One of these I'll have to try to find a same of Ennerdale (or something in between) to try out more Lakeland flavor!
What difference do you find between BCF and BSC? I've only had BCF.

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
Id prolly do some silly shit for some Glengarry that actually was at a sauce level of 8. Mine is mild and i love i but i would def take more of that flavor

Reactions: ofafeather

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
OK, time for an update.
I've had some Grousemoor. I found it unique, but relatively mild, although the sample I got was quite aged. I've bumped it down a few notches and, of course, it's still open for debate.
I also placed a bulk order today which includes Rich Dark Honeydew, Grasmere, Dark Flake Scented and Brown Flake Unscented. Be prepared to weigh in on the unrated ones.
Please bring any omissions or miscategorized items to my attention.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

Lakeland Essence Strength Scale
1- Is that a wee bit of sauce, maybe, in the background?
Stonehenge, Hyde Park, Westmoreland Slices, Deluxe Twist XXX
2- You can taste it but it doesn't need its own pipe.
Bob's Chocolate Flake, Dark Flake Unscented, Best Brown #2, Louisiana Perique Flake
3- Try not to store it in the same container as your delicate VA flakes.
Brown Flake Scented
4- You only smoke it in a cob.
Grousemoor
5- You sit it out to air a day or two in advance of smoking.
Bosun Cut Plug Unscented, Coniston Cut Plug Unscented
6- It's a bit much, but you're pretty sure you'll come to like it.
#7 Broken Flake, Dark Flake Scented
7- The dog barks to go out whenever you load a pipe.
Rich Dark Honeydew, Bosun Cut Plug Aromatic, SG RB Plug
8- The dog makes you go out whenever you load a pipe.
Glengarry, SG Special Flake #1, SG Special Flake #3
9- Your wife inquires about your fidelity and searches you tobacco storage closet for a courtesan.
Coniston Cut Plug Aromatic, Kendal Flake, Grasmere
10- The postal carrier has strapped you package to the roof of his vehicle and wears gloves to handle it.
SG Cannon Plug
11- If you dare!
Ennerdale
Not yet assigned:
Brown Flake Unscented
Honorable Mentions:
Warhorse (3)
Mixture 79 (7)
HU Great Dixter (9)
The above @cosmicfolklore is what I have been using.

This just adds to the confusion: Aren’t Bosun Plug and Bosun Cut Plug the same tobacco in different form? If so, why the different strength and room note ratings?
View attachment 94151View attachment 94152
I am only guessing, as I am not at the GH factory, nor represent them at all, but my experience with pulled tobacco verses the cut flakes is that the flakes have had some time to air out the aroma a bit. A freshly cut flake from a plug is just getting started airing out.

Reactions: ofafeather