PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
We had a watch thread going a few years back from @cosmicfolklore that got closed due to the one year mark. So I'm bringing it back due to my watch obsession.

20171219_200528.jpg
A Timex Weekender with a Barton leather quick release strap. My first watch.
20180307_000329.jpg

My citizen eco drive, with the nato strap that my Timex weekender came on. Bought it when I graduated my conductor class.
20180216_231223.jpg

My 1st Seiko 5 and 1st automatic watch. Bought due to its similarity to an actual railroad approved watch.

That's when I got into g shocks.
Dw5600e1v
MVIMG_20180826_093534.jpg

Gw6900 solar and atomic.
20180819_113031.jpg

Gw50001jf
The elite g shock square.
This one I wore for a year and a half straight. My most expensive watch to date.
PXL_20210731_035716574.jpg

Then I decided I needed a dive watch. This is my Orient Ray 2.
PXL_20210615_170915763.jpg
Doesn't get as much wrist time as I'd like admittedly.
And my current watch I got a few days ago, another Seiko 5. This one is cheaper, but I wanted something more classy looking that I could use as a beater. I purchased another Barton leather quick release strap for it, in alligator style.
PXL_20210818_033509611.jpg

Hopefully this will be enough for now.

Anyone else like watches?

Attachments

• 20180819_113031.jpg
    20180819_113031.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 4

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
If I were filthy rich I'd probably be a watch collector, but since I'm not I don't want to go too far down that rabbit hole. My daily driver is this Orient Bambino which I've been very happy with for under $120. The strap I bought to replace the factory one cost nearly as much, but it's Horween Derby leather and has aged nicely, buttery soft these days. I have backup Orient Mako which only sees use if I know I'm going swimming.
PXL_20210818_051333402.MP.jpg

Last edited:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I like watches. I like the way they look.
When cell phones became a thing, I stopped wearing one. Then I realized I was looking at my phone all the time and all the addictive stuff in a smartphone was working on me. I didn't like that, so I purchased a watch. To me now, the most significant thing about a watch is that it makes it possible to avoid looking at the phone all the time.
I have two watches. A G-Shock that I carry most of the time that can and certainly does take a beating, and a prettier one for when I want to look a little classier.
Here's the G-Shock:

Attachments

• 16292854840627054397999304797787.jpg
    16292854840627054397999304797787.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 9

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I see more and more fitbits and iWatches on men these days.

I got this thing a couple years ago after not wearing a watch for years and years. I can put different apps on it from my phone. The apps I like most are the weather/temperature and the heart rate, which is pretty accurate, for those times when I want to get off my ass, put the pipe down, exert myself and see if I'm getting close to dropping dead. There's lots of other crap it can do, lock/unlock and start my truck etc.... basically whatever the phone can do, except I can't talk or type with it. The phone can stay in my pocket and the watch lets me see texts as they come in and has caller ID so I can see at a glance who I don't want to talk to.

image.jpg

I got this thing a couple years ago after not wearing a watch for years and years. I can put different apps on it from my phone. The apps I like most are the weather/temperature and the heart rate, which is pretty accurate, for those times when I want to get off my ass, put the pipe down, exert myself and see if I'm getting close to dropping dead. There's lots of other crap it can do, lock/unlock and start my truck etc.... basically whatever the phone can do, except I can't talk or type with it. The phone can stay in my pocket and the watch lets me see texts as they come in and has caller ID so I can see at a glance who I don't want to talk to.

View attachment 93267
Is that a fitbit or iWatch? Or what brand? I bought a fitbit to wear to the gym to record my laps in the pool and to map my bike rides, but I wore it to the beach and sand killed it. So, I am looking for a replacement. I like iWatches, but just to wear it while working out, it may be a bit over the top.

Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Is that a fitbit or iWatch? Or what brand? I bought a fitbit to wear to the gym to record my laps in the pool and to map my bike rides, but I wore it to the beach and sand killed it. So, I am looking for a replacement. I like iWatches, but just to wear it while working out, it may be a bit over the top.
It's an iWatch. You can get different types, some being more expensive than others. I don't remember all the differences in them though.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
m

My 1950 Hamilton 992B
View attachment 93270
and 1955 992B
View attachment 93271
As you say these watches keep excellent time for over 60 years old
Never heard of a 992B until I listened to a song by Norman Blake. He's my favorite muscian that I've attempted to pattern. Here is where he mentions the watch.
Norman Blake & Peter Ostroushko - Blake's Railroad Blues - YouTube

Norman has written several songs about trains including Lincoln's Funeral Train and Green Light on the Southern if intertested. These are also on YouTube.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I did not wear a watch for more than 20 years. Like @chasingembers said, I just used my phone. However, I have worn a FitBit for the last 3+ years to monitor my steps, sleep etc for diet and health. I plan to upgrade to an iWatch when they add a few more biometric measurements to their product.

I did not wear a watch for more than 20 years. Like @chasingembers said, I just used my phone. However, I have worn a FitBit for the last 3+ years to monitor my steps, sleep etc for diet and health. I plan to upgrade to an iWatch when they add a few more biometric measurements to their product.
I just wish they could make a watch with an accurate blood pressure, and a way for someone else to track me. I know, I know, the only demand for someone else to track them would be us old people, on the verge of Alzheimer and dementia. But, I am certain that I could enjoy being lost more if I knew that someone could come and get me by dinner time. But, a watch that does it would be so much less evasive than getting chipped.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
it jewelry men can wear without admitting it's a bangle.
I do have one practical use for a watch you might find allowable. I'm a massage therapist and over the years I've had battery powered clocks in my treatment room crap out on me maybe 4 or 5 times mid-massage. There are also times where I just can't turn my head far enough to see the clock for an extended period, depending on what work I'm doing. Timing down to the minute is important, especially with a tight schedule of 6 or 7 appointments, so I took to wearing a wristwatch on my belt such that I can glance down at any point and read the dial. Checking a phone is frowned upon during a massage and requires a free hand I usually don't have, so my solution has actually saved me a headache quite a few times.

I do have one practical use for a watch you might find allowable. I'm a massage therapist and over the years I've had battery powered clocks in my treatment room crap out on me maybe 4 or 5 times mid-massage. There are also times where I just can't turn my head far enough to see the clock for an extended period, depending on what work I'm doing. Timing down to the minute is important, especially with a tight schedule of 6 or 7 appointments, so I took to wearing a wristwatch on my belt such that I can glance down at any point and read the dial. Checking a phone is frowned upon during a massage and requires a free hand I usually don't have, so my solution has actually saved me a headache quite a few times.
I don't use my phone for just checking time, because I find that when I turn it on, I compulsively check all of the apps that I monitor. So, it is a time suck for me. Having a watch on keeps me abreast of time, without having to pick up that little addiction device in my back pocket.