May as Well Admit It: I Like Fr. Dempsey Best. What Should I Purchase That's Like It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I just noticed I put LPJ...LJP.
I would make honorable mention to Tashkent but it's nowhere near FD. The best part of that list is it's readily available in bulk.
Based on previous posts, I think you and I are using Peretti as a never-ending honey hole for Oriental blends. Between them and Arango's Balkan Supreme, I don't buy many Latakia blends in tins at all.... and I'm running out of mason jars!

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Based on previous posts, I think you and I are using Peretti as a never-ending honey hole for Oriental blends. Between them and Arango's Balkan Supreme, I don't buy many Latakia blends in tins at all.... and I'm running out of mason jars!
I agree. LJP has some masterpieces and their Orientals are second to none. My jar collection is out of hand, I'm looking into mylar.
There is one blend I have not tried, Cuban Mixture. I need to add that to my next order. Between LPJ and WCC, they get a large portion of my business.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I agree. LJP has some masterpieces and their Orientals are second to none. My jar collection is out of hand, I'm looking into mylar.
There is one blend I have not tried, Cuban Mixture. I need to add that to my next order. Between LPJ and WCC, they get a large portion of my business.
I'm not quick enough for WCC, but I do grab some tins from there from time to time. We should probably not talk about Peretti anymore because, as you say, they consistently have the best orientals available right now and they're always in stock.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Fr. Dempsey is one of my fav's also. You should really try Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River. Just the regular one - no need for the reserve, etc. Absolutely my favorite! Lighter Lat than the Father, but a lot more depth and flavor from all of the other tobacco players. First time I've really found a strong flavored 'VaPer'.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
I followed some advice (I should have maybe grabbed some Mississippi River, but I forgot) and bought 4 oz of Fr. Dempsey today -- a lot of a single tobacco for me. I rounded it out with some aromatics, just to see how I feel about them after not smoking them for years. Oh, and then I had to buy a pipe for those, of course (just a simple Briar Works, nothing fancy). Next round I'll follow up some of these ideas.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Anyone who likes a balanced English blend owes it to himself to try GLP’s Westminster.

There is nothing very unique about it. It’s just a very excellently executed English blend. If I could only keep one Latakia blend in my rotation (unicorns and unobtaniums aside), Westminster would quite likely be it.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
? -- Smart! (And I will -- but am looking for a bit of diversity, too.)
I've not tried FD but if you like mild, one of my favourite non-aro's is 4noggins Jesses Own [The original owner Rich might well have been a right dickhead but he knew how to blend tobacco]

Virginia, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Perique and Latakia. [Both the Perique and Latakia are lightly used but one can taste both] It's well balanced and a real tasty blend. If that was all I had to smoke, I would not complain.

If you want to go to the wild side, another favourite non-aro is aged AJ's Vaper.
Did not like it fresh but when I tried it after 3-4 years in a jar, I could not believe the difference.
Buy a pound [You will regret buying any less] Stick it in a jar for a year before smoking.
Really, really worth the wait.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I just noticed I put LPJ...LJP.
I would make honorable mention to Tashkent but it's nowhere near FD. The best part of that list is it's readily available in bulk.
Tashkent is so much better than FD. But they really aren't comparable. One has Virginia, one doesn't. One has too much latakia (FD), and one is balanced. Just shows how tastes are different. Peretti Royal is better match for comparison. But I find it smoother than FD, too.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Inspired by this post, I got some Father Dempsey in, and I must say -- two bowls in I'm thinking it's going to usurp my current 'light/medium' English blend. Real good. I do realize this post was about finding something like it, but I didn't know it existed, and I'm quite happy with it.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
Inspired by this post, I got some Father Dempsey in, and I must say -- two bowls in I'm thinking it's going to usurp my current 'light/medium' English blend. Real good. I do realize this post was about finding something like it, but I didn't know it existed, and I'm quite happy with it.
Glad to have added someone to the Fr. Dempsey Brigade (if such a thing exists). I have 4 oz on the way (was supposed to arrive yesterday and doesn't seem destined to arrive today, sigh), which is a good bit for me to purchase at once.