May as Well Admit It: I Like Fr. Dempsey Best. What Should I Purchase That's Like It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
As the subject line suggests, after enjoying a near hour-long smoke of Kramer's Fr. Dempsey in my Pete House pipe, I realized it was just plainly and simply the smoke I've enjoyed the most recently. Better (to my taste) that Eight State, EMP, a local Virginia blend, C&D's Haunted Bookshop, even another English blend from my local shop.

I know it is among the most basic of questions here, but it also is a main reason for the Forum: Do you good folks have suggestions that will hit the same spot as Fr. Dempsey? (I do have a couple aromatics sitting in my cart at smokingpipes, just to broaden things...) Thanks a million in advance.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
well if it's like Northwoods which I have never had - I was reading a review of a Peretti that's like it yesterday, cannot remember which one - use tobaccoreviews and do the advanced search on Peretti as the brand and type in keyword northwoods

Reactions: EssJaySea

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Sounds like Father Dempsey is a keeper. When blends like that are found, don’t discount your good fortune. My initial reaction was the same as others but I was beaten to the punch. “Buy more Father Dempsey”

I’ll add this.. spend some time with it. Get to know it well. Sometimes looking for it’s equivalent or the next best thing isn’t the answer.

I primarily smoke one blend because it never fails to put smile on my face and keep it there.

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
Father Dempsey is a really good middle of the road english blend, at least in my opinion. I know that I can put it in just about any pipe and it will be pretty great. This thread reminded me that I have 8 oz of it jarred up that's probably two years old. I also really enjoy Cary Grant for a change of pace when all my other english favorites are a bit too much.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
English blends from C&D I like include Stratfordshire, Tuggle Hall, Bayou Night, Old Joe Krantz, and Billy Budd. Be sure to read the constituent tobaccos on these bulks, to see if they sound appealing. PC carries a mild English in pouch I like, John Bull.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
Just keep Fr. Dempsey in your rotation. I'm not sure you need a group of taste-alikes. Nothing wrong with having a principle blend, while you explore a variety of others.
Based on the input in this thread, this is probably where I will end up. Trying to balance the fun and interest of trying new things with having the go-tos. In part, and maybe I didn't make this as clear as I could have, the really nice Fr. Dempsey smoke made me think: Maybe you should be looking to try blends similar to this and not so different (burleys, Virginias, aromatics, etc.)