PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

depriest1022

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2021
Arkansas
www.researchgate.net
I have read a lot about how some blends give an almost sedative like effect relaxing the smoker, and perhaps it is in the process of sitting down and relaxing to a nice bowl, but nicotine is classified as a stimulant. It would stand to reason that heavy smoking, even piping all day, could negatively impact ones sleep.
I know a lot of guys at work that dip during the night shift to help them stay awake.
Nicotine is biphasic. It has an initial stimulating effect then a longer acting depressant effect. If you are constantly adding it to your system, it’s possible (likely?) that the relaxing effect of metabolic by-products ever shows up.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I have read a lot about how some blends give an almost sedative like effect relaxing the smoker, and perhaps it is in the process of sitting down and relaxing to a nice bowl, but nicotine is classified as a stimulant. It would stand to reason that heavy smoking, even piping all day, could negatively impact ones sleep.
I know a lot of guys at work that dip during the night shift to help them stay awake.
I don’t smoke or drink caffeine past 5.

I’m also seeing the benefits of smoking out of doors.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
The only thing I can say, when I worked at night, in a matter of a month. My blodd test gives me some negative parameter in general. Cholesterol increase, thyroid, sugar, more body fat, a metabolic disaster. It's horrible, Ihate work at night............

depriest1022

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2021
Arkansas
www.researchgate.net
The only thing I can say, when I worked at night, in a matter of a month. My blodd test gives me some negative parameter in general. Cholesterol increase, thyroid, sugar, more body fat, a metabolic disaster. It's horrible, Ihate work at night............
Working at night interferes with multiple activities in the body. It isn’t surprising that your metabolism went haywire. It happens to most people that try graveyard shifts or shift work where you rotate through the different shifts.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Preaching to the choir! I can remember ‘not’ remembering the drive home being such a zombie. I guess some poor bastard has to do it.

M

MARC52

I'm 68 years old and have used tobacco products my entire adult life. I smoked cigarettes and chewed tobacco in my earlier years, now I smoke a pipe and dip Copenhagen daily. I'm semi-retired and still work a full time job and have good health. I do inhale occasionally, a habit I acquired from cigarette smoking. I do not recommend this! I'm also an outdoor smoker, I usually smoke a bowl or two in the evening during the work week with morning and evening bowls on the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
I want to thank everyone for taking the time to share in this thread. This thread’s takeaways for myself are moderation is important and perhaps avoiding smoking indoors/enclosed spaces can help. There are no illusions here, tobacco is tobacco, but if you’re going to enjoy it there are ways to lower the ‘boom’ and still enjoy a beloved past time.
To all my fellow pipers, thank you again and puff away!

Mar 1, 2014
I smoked one bowl a week for a few years when I joined here, then stopped after 2016 to get my teeth straightened. I didn't specifically need to stop, but with several surgical procedures it seemed like a good idea.
Even after the orthodontic program finished, what I've discovered over the last few years is you absolutely do not need tobacco to have gum decay problems, so I'm glad I got that sorted before picking up the pipe again just because I know absolutely for certain my problems are not pipe related.
(Only brush your gums with the softest bristle toothbrush carefully stroking away from the gumline. I use different brushes for teeth and gums. If you have soreness in your gums, clean the problem area with a water pick loaded with Hydrogen Peroxide and sprinkle some salt and baking soda in your cheeks before bed to keep your mouth from turning acidic while you sleep).

When I smoke from a churchwarden I like to push all the smoke in and out the bowl and I can breath cleanly through my nose the entire time, (problem there is you get excessive dottle, but it is my preferred method).

Traditionally it seems that I get soreness in the back of my throat after every bowl, thus I like to take a few days break between bowls. It's hard to say if my mouth will ever fully acclimatize, but at one bowl a week I am always fully recovered between bowls and it shouldn't matter either way.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I'm 58 and smoke about 4 - 5 bowls a week. From my teens into my mid twenties I did inhale a tobacco product, but stopped at 26 or so. I took up cigars in my early 30's then pipes soon after. Since then I go in phases where cigars dominate, then pipes, then back to cigars, etc. Cigars were never more than 2 or 3 a week. I'm in a pipe phase right now and don't think I'm going back to cigars. As I've aged it seems my sensitivity to nicotine has increased and cigars will make me dizzy now from the nicotine. Other than that, so far no major health issues caused by my smoking.

YoungButter

Might Stick Around
Jun 19, 2021
37. I smoke 1-2 cigars and 1-2 bowls a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. If I’m doing a thing that’s not really conducive to smoking, I don’t and it seems fine. I’m thinking that I am going to institute a “no tobacco after seven” policy because I do notice that I am prone to sleeplessness if I hit it too late.

Smoked cigarettes from my late teens to mid-twenties. So much Stokkebye Amsterdam shag.
Smoked cigars in my early-mid twenties.
Smoked a pipe from my mid-twenties to thirties and quit, then started again this past year.

I quit because I was convinced that smoking was causing respiratory symptoms.

I’ve had a whole host of health issues throughout my life that turned out to be entirely related to amino acids, proteins and sugars that are found in most plant foods as well as some that are produced through fermentation, curing, aging and ripening. Food and drink was my passion and livelihood for most of my life, so I was constantly exposing myself to things and always felt ill. My symptoms were so normal to me because I had been experiencing these things for as long as I could remember but I always felt like something was off and I had a feeling that it was related to food but I couldn’t really make heads or tails of what was happening until I tried the carnivore diet as a means of eliminating nearly everything but still having a viable nutritional base. Things started to clear up, challenging foods would to trigger reactions in a vacuum that had previously been part of an entourage of physical, mental and emotional symptoms that were impossible to sort.

The whole process brought a lot of clarity to my relationship with my body. Life is a whole lot better now and I decided to start smoking again partially because I was really missing that exploratory tasting part of my life that food and drink had previously provided.

I was really nervous at first because I thought that it might prove to be detrimental to some of my physical goals as a human. I try to balance the toll that the smoking and carnivore diet are certainly taking on my heart by staying active. I do yoga most days, I love to hike, ride my bike and am beginning to dabble with rock climbing. I plan to take some of these pursuits a bit more seriously and am curious whether or not tobacco will interfere but I have my doubts.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
6'1, 190lbs, 37 years old. Sagittarius, hates long walks on the beach. Smoked for about 13 years now, at least 1 bowl a day, in addition to smoking cigars or sucking snuff into my nose. Previously smoked cigarettes for about 4 of my teenaged years.
At this point I feel like it's too soon to say if anything negative will occur, but I am not worried about it. At this point in my life I've been exposed to so many hazardous chemicals, there is no way I could ever point to one thing specifically and say, yep.. that's tobacco's fault.
The only thing I can say that pipe smoking specifically has had an effect on is my oral health. I tend to clench in the same spot on both sides of my mouth, and have had a little gum recession directly next to where the bit sits on my teeth there. My dentist surprisingly suggested that it wasn't necessarily the tobacco, but the heat/drying action of the smoke. I do a swish of some biotene if I've been smoking a lot and it has been stable since.
I should also say that my pipe smoking has been beneficial to the ongoing good health of those around me, because if I was force to stop with all the nonsense nowadays..

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Let's see
Almost 32 years old.
5'6" , 150 lbs
Been smoking a pipe since 2012
Cigs since 2006
Other combustibles since 2004
Pipe can range from 0-12 bowls a day. Sometimes every day, sometimes not once. Cigs and everything else daily since I started.

Nurses always tell me I'm as healthy as an ox. 6-30-21 my blood pressure was 118/70 my pulse was 67 and my oxygen was at 99%.

I also eat pure garbage, mostly cheeseburgers. (I wish I was joking) and drink way too much soda.

But Ive been seeing doctors alot due to injuries lol.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Let's see
Almost 32 years old.
5'6" , 150 lbs
Been smoking a pipe since 2012
Cigs since 2006
Other combustibles since 2004
Pipe can range from 0-12 bowls a day. Sometimes every day, sometimes not once. Cigs and everything else daily since I started.

Nurses always tell me I'm as healthy as an ox. 6-30-21 my blood pressure was 118/70 my pulse was 67 and my oxygen was at 99%.

I also eat pure garbage, mostly cheeseburgers. (I wish I was joking) and drink way too much soda.

But Ive been seeing doctors alot due to injuries lol.
You ought to be healthy, you're only 31 freakin years old!;)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
47 years old

5'9"

116 pounds

4000+calorie daily intake

A max of 3 hrs/day sleep

Cigarettes, pipes, chewing tobacco, and snuff daily since 17 years old and have worked a 7/12 job for 9 years. Doctors can find little evidence of tobacco use and even blood work shows that I may only occasionally smoke a cigarette.? My metabolism will likely put me in the grave before tobacco.