PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have smoked something (cigarettes, cigars, pipe) for almost 50 years. I gave up cigarettes 14 years ago and glad I did. One would be foolish to believe there are no damages to your health from any kind of smoking but the extent of those damages probably depends on how much you smoke and whether or not you inhale.

Don't be confused, when you smoke a pipe you are inhaling some small amount of smoke regardless of what your intentions are. I don't try to inhale but I do pull the smoke into my throat and exhale through my nose most of the time for added enjoyment. I'm sure this increases the amount I inadvertently take into my lungs somewhat. I also smoke 5 to 6 bowls per day.

I really enjoy smoking my pipe and also the occasional cigar(s), mostly when I play golf. I've notched 64 years on this planet and none of us are getting out alive. I do believe pipe smoking is the least harmful form of tobacco intake, I suspect there's more potential for damage to your mouth, gums and throat than there is to your lungs. I'm not a health professional but I suspect the health risks if you only smoke a bowl per day are very minimal. I haven't noticed obvious health issues from smoking aside from a minimal amount of congestion/phlegm build up. It may have had a negative affect had I decided to try out for running events at the Olympic Trials. I will say I've noticed my penis has grown substantially over the years. Not sure if that can be associated with the smoking or perhaps from tugging on it too often. Whether one would view that as a positive or negative is probably a personal matter.
The last paragraph is awesome, analysis and humor.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
66 now and quit at 63 due to respiratory symptoms, lungs crackling on breathing, and the asymptomatic feeling that if I didn't stop I wouldn't be able to stop coughing without a stay in the hospital. I smoked 2-3 bowls a day for 16 years. Feeing my lungs sore had been coming on for about 6 years. I just powered on. Quitting was inconceivable. At the end when I'd cough I'd think "better keep smoking."

I knew I was in trouble but I wouldn't admit it. Smoking had been a big part of my life for years, and I'd pursued it in a big way with very large tobacco purchases and PAD that wouldn't quit, because neither would I. I had spent a lot of time on the forums and had sucked up every bit of pipe data, and followed that by doing the same with cigars.

But on having the premonition that it was either stop or go to the hospital, with what problem, with what complications, and how sick I would get and how long I would be there, I quit. I stay quit because that's how addiction works: one bowl and I'd be off to the races. Given that tobacco is the second-most addictive substance on the planet, I'd be a fool to let it back into my life again.

Two additional matters.
1. I smoked cigarettes off and on for 40 years. I think they much more than the pipe produced my respiratory symptoms.
2. I smoked very strong blends. I'm not sure they caused any more distress than moderate strength blends, but that much nicotine was hard on my body.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
6’4”
220lbs
Pipe smoking for 14 years

I started cigarettes when I was 12, quit when I was 31. After a few month off the cigs (at worst a 3-pack-a-day habit, and best 1/2 a pack) I felt almost new again. I farm and do labor all day, and lemme tell ya it’s great to be able to breathe!
I smoke 4-6 bowls a day, sometimes less, sometimes more if I’m out fishing or something. Besides some occasional phlegminess (what a great word) I haven’t experienced any health effects that I can nail down to pipe smoking itself. I don’t inhale regularly, but will occasionally do the ol’ French Inhale cause I like it. Bottom line, nothing is as bad as cigarettes, and while I don’t pretend that smoking a pipe isn’t without its risks, I’m willing to take them at least at this stage of my life.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have more shit that's gonna kill me than you can shake a stick at. Till then, eat, drink, and be merry! Been a hell of a ride...WOOWOO...
Mfe0ISr.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
In my 60's, with some health issues, but none related to smoking.
I have annual medicals.

I smoked cigarettes for a couple years, but was never a heavy smoker (impoverished university student !). Bought a pipe to get away from cigarettes in the early '70s and quit when we were expecting our 1st child mid-80s. Took up cigars in early 2000s and smoked cigars exclusively until I rediscovered my love of pipes in 2018.

Now I smoke on weekends only, unless I am on holidays. Usually 2 bowls per day, rarely 3, with a cigar every 2-3 weeks.

I don't smoke if I'm unwell - even if it's only a sore throat. And definitely not if I have a respiratory tract infection. I had extensive sinus surgery 5 years ago (unrelated to smoking) and have no wish to revisit that.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I'm 35 and 165lb. In good shape cause I'm a small scale organic farmer, so lots of walking and picking weeds.

Been smoking for 15 years, mostly cigarettes but kicked the cigs over a year ago and now I'm about 3-4 bowls a day but ocasionally more. I sometimes inhale. I don't feel any negative effects from pipe smoking except if my tobacco is too moist and it burns to hot. I'm much happier with pipe for a variety of reasons, i noticed with cigarettes I would have lung congestion periodically and it felt somewhat harsh on my throat. I don't think a few bowls a day is really a problem physically, especially for a person with a healthy and active lifestyle. But that's just me, everyone is different. For some maybe just one bowl a day or a few a week would be so negligible it would be hard to say if it would be a problem. I did feel like cigarettes would do me in eventually though, so I felt the need to quit. It was hard but pipe is so much better anyway.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
39, heavy, much heavier since covid, haven't properly exercised in years but can hike for hours and reasonably strong since I did some semi serious weight lifting when younger - seems if you build some muscle young it stays with you.
Heavy cigarette smoker from 20-33, quit via vaping and vaped like a MF until a couple of years ago. Limited alcohol, no drugs at all, ever.
Pipe smoker from roughly early 30s to now, started with a bowl per few days to several bowls per day since covid.
Perfect health, thankfully, last checkup was a couple of years ago, full lung capacity, perfect bloodwork.
I smoked cigarettes over Christmas/New Year this year due to stress, I found they obliterated my sense of smell and taste, and fast, including of pipe tobacco. The only good thing I have to say about them is that they are low commitment, fast to smoke and deliver an instant nicotine hit.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Been smoking Cigars since 18 and pipes mostly this last year, but started that shortly after the Cigars.
Haven't noticed anything yet, but i'm 29 so, not exactly old yet.
More than likely bikes or my car will delete me before smoking will. I kinda think if you smoke, your health isn't really the most concerning thing to you anyway, just my thoughts.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I started with nicotine at age 6 behind the hill by the railroad tracks with my neighbor and one of his dad's stolen Pall Malls.
By High School I was a confirmed non filter cigarette smoker, usually Luckies. ( Dad smoked Camels and Luckies)
Of course, as a tobacco user, and one with a limited budget, I experimented with other delivery 'systems', like cigars, pipes, snuff, and roll your own.
I mis hit on the pipe every time I tried one, when I was younger....and I rolled my own the better part of 15 or 20 yrs, seldom smoking a machine made cigarette because they were horrible tasting, harsh, and made me feel unhappy about smoking them.
So, I've quit tobacco altogether for at least one year, and sometimes 5 or more, over the years (about 8x's.), and have found that in times of stress and duress, I've returned to the nicotine for relief.
I found myself in that predicament about a year after I'd retired and became physically ill and mentally stressed and once again began to roll cigs. However, this time, I had time on my hands and the thought crossed my mind to go to the drug store and get a corn cob to smoke so that I wouldn't have to roll, or use paper.... ( ! )
Of course, I was still inhaling at the time and it took me a few weeks to find all the stuff about pipes and tobacco online and to learn that I was not getting the most out of my pipe OR tobacco.
If I hadn't discovered this community of hobby enthusiasts and learned how to smoke and enjoy tobacco without inhaling, I'd have had to face another 'quit' or stay dissatisfied with a trade off of lung damage for stress relief.
That was 7 yrs ago, and I'm now 73. I smoke a bowl right after I get up in the morning at anytime between 1:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. and I take that out on the roadway for my first morning 'lunt'. By sunrise I usually have 'lunted' for 3 bowls and heard the birds awaken. I get my bowels going this way, my heart pumping and clean fresh air.
I don't count how many bowls I smoke during the rest of the day, but I never smoke inside, so I'm either out walking or standing (which is exercise) or on my screen porch which faces a nice easterly view of a pond and a wide variety of bird life.
I would say that smoking a pipe is beneficial to me in many ways, not the least of which is the camaraderie and mutual respect that seems inherent to the experience.
Too long? ha ha, too bad! :sher:

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
42 and have smoked all the nicotines over the years, but seldom felt the need to smoke more than once/day, which is a lucky thing. So on a weekly basis I'm generally a 5-6 pipe bowls (or cigars, depending on season and mood) type of smoker.
As for health, when I feel the effects is when I smoke indoors (the second hand smoke, as others have noted), and then I feel them pretty hard. I'll have a dry cough the rest of the day and lungs feel compromised. Even tried one of those fancy Rabbit Air filters. It's a pain in the ass during the long winter, but I no longer smoke inside. And every now and then I'll try a blend that seems to scorch my palate and throat, so I stay away from those.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Outside of pipe show or pipe club, I smoke one bowl a day. This has been for about 10+ years. Never cigaretts.

But recently, I have been having some health issues. My wife is encouraging me to smoke less. I am also using smaller pipes and less
66 now and quit at 63 due to respiratory symptoms, lungs crackling on breathing, and the asymptomatic feeling that if I didn't stop I wouldn't be able to stop coughing without a stay in the hospital. I smoked 2-3 bowls a day for 16 years. Feeing my lungs sore had been coming on for about 6 years. I just powered on. Quitting was inconceivable. At the end when I'd cough I'd think "better keep smoking."

I knew I was in trouble but I wouldn't admit it. Smoking had been a big part of my life for years, and I'd pursued it in a big way with very large tobacco purchases and PAD that wouldn't quit, because neither would I. I had spent a lot of time on the forums and had sucked up every bit of pipe data, and followed that by doing the same with cigars.

But on having the premonition that it was either stop or go to the hospital, with what problem, with what complications, and how sick I would get and how long I would be there, I quit. I stay quit because that's how addiction works: one bowl and I'd be off to the races. Given that tobacco is the second-most addictive substance on the planet, I'd be a fool to let it back into my life again.

Two additional matters.
1. I smoked cigarettes off and on for 40 years. I think they much more than the pipe produced my respiratory symptoms.
2. I smoked very strong blends. I'm not sure they caused any more distress than moderate strength blends, but that much nicotine was hard on my body.
Hope things straightened out for you since quitting as respiratory problems, regardless of the cause, are not good times. Thank you for sharing.

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
I started with nicotine at age 6 behind the hill by the railroad tracks with my neighbor and one of his dad's stolen Pall Malls.
By High School I was a confirmed non filter cigarette smoker, usually Luckies. ( Dad smoked Camels and Luckies)
Of course, as a tobacco user, and one with a limited budget, I experimented with other delivery 'systems', like cigars, pipes, snuff, and roll your own.
I mis hit on the pipe every time I tried one, when I was younger....and I rolled my own the better part of 15 or 20 yrs, seldom smoking a machine made cigarette because they were horrible tasting, harsh, and made me feel unhappy about smoking them.
So, I've quit tobacco altogether for at least one year, and sometimes 5 or more, over the years (about 8x's.), and have found that in times of stress and duress, I've returned to the nicotine for relief.
I found myself in that predicament about a year after I'd retired and became physically ill and mentally stressed and once again began to roll cigs. However, this time, I had time on my hands and the thought crossed my mind to go to the drug store and get a corn cob to smoke so that I wouldn't have to roll, or use paper.... ( ! )
Of course, I was still inhaling at the time and it took me a few weeks to find all the stuff about pipes and tobacco online and to learn that I was not getting the most out of my pipe OR tobacco.
If I hadn't discovered this community of hobby enthusiasts and learned how to smoke and enjoy tobacco without inhaling, I'd have had to face another 'quit' or stay dissatisfied with a trade off of lung damage for stress relief.
That was 7 yrs ago, and I'm now 73. I smoke a bowl right after I get up in the morning at anytime between 1:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. and I take that out on the roadway for my first morning 'lunt'. By sunrise I usually have 'lunted' for 3 bowls and heard the birds awaken. I get my bowels going this way, my heart pumping and clean fresh air.
I don't count how many bowls I smoke during the rest of the day, but I never smoke inside, so I'm either out walking or standing (which is exercise) or on my screen porch which faces a nice easterly view of a pond and a wide variety of bird life.
I would say that smoking a pipe is beneficial to me in many ways, not the least of which is the camaraderie and mutual respect that seems inherent to the experience.
Too long? ha ha, too bad! :sher:
Never too long haha!

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
39, heavy, much heavier since covid, haven't properly exercised in years but can hike for hours and reasonably strong since I did some semi serious weight lifting when younger - seems if you build some muscle young it stays with you.
Heavy cigarette smoker from 20-33, quit via vaping and vaped like a MF until a couple of years ago. Limited alcohol, no drugs at all, ever.
Pipe smoker from roughly early 30s to now, started with a bowl per few days to several bowls per day since covid.
Perfect health, thankfully, last checkup was a couple of years ago, full lung capacity, perfect bloodwork.
I smoked cigarettes over Christmas/New Year this year due to stress, I found they obliterated my sense of smell and taste, and fast, including of pipe tobacco. The only good thing I have to say about them is that they are low commitment, fast to smoke and deliver an instant nicotine hit.
No doubt that cigarettes seem to be a tough habit to kick and carry the most significant health impacts out of all forms of tobacco use. Wish you the best in keeping them kicked my friend!

Reactions: karam

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
42 and have smoked all the nicotines over the years, but seldom felt the need to smoke more than once/day, which is a lucky thing. So on a weekly basis I'm generally a 5-6 pipe bowls (or cigars, depending on season and mood) type of smoker.
As for health, when I feel the effects is when I smoke indoors (the second hand smoke, as others have noted), and then I feel them pretty hard. I'll have a dry cough the rest of the day and lungs feel compromised. Even tried one of those fancy Rabbit Air filters. It's a pain in the ass during the long winter, but I no longer smoke inside. And every now and then I'll try a blend that seems to scorch my palate and throat, so I stay away from those.
Ya, you are not wrong. When it comes to indoor piping I have to admit that is a time where I feel piping may have the most significant effect on my health. I always had this vision of a dedicated room in the home to smoke with a fancy air exhaust system to keep the smoke to a minimum with a fresh air return; someday.

Reactions: odobenus
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Been smoking something or the other related to tobacco since 12. 5'10" 155lbs 53 years old. Smoking pipes for about 3 years. Played Great Highland Bagpipes for over 20 (since you mentioned piping).

Physical activity depends on what interests me at a given moment. When younger, mostly martial art. Now, occasionally cycling.

Gotta go one way or the other. Not really concerned about it. No way of getting out of that problem. Hope it's not too painful and won't be too much burden on the kids.
I love the sound of bagpipes!!

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
I suspect that the people that had the worst health reactions to pipe smoking aren’t here to fill us in on their experience.

Personally, I don’t sleep as well as I used to, my teeth stain more, and I don’t have the lung capacity I used to have.
I thought about this while going over some posts and would say it is true, those who perhaps have had a some of the greater negative health impacts are not hear to share, now granted there are always those diehards who puff till their last breath regardless.
If I may, did/do you inhale?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
48 years, 1,83 cms, 75 kgs. Chronic pharyngitis since very young. Smoking cigars, almost 30 years old, tobacco pipe two years. My throat doesn't cause me any problems at the moment. I smoke about 4 to 6 corn pipes a day. Small cigars almost daily. Big cigars, the weekends, just one per day. They are too expensive.................

DIYpiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2020
Alberta, Canada
There is a member who appears to smoke non stop during their waking hours and often complains of not being able to sleep. I find this disconcerting. I empathize.
I have read a lot about how some blends give an almost sedative like effect relaxing the smoker, and perhaps it is in the process of sitting down and relaxing to a nice bowl, but nicotine is classified as a stimulant. It would stand to reason that heavy smoking, even piping all day, could negatively impact ones sleep.
I know a lot of guys at work that dip during the night shift to help them stay awake.