Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking Watch City Glass Slipper Micro-Batch in a smooth, medium brown early Radice full bend crossgrain/bird's eye 2 dot Clear with a black acrylic tapered stem. This should get me to dinner time. Still working on a review of this upcoming blend. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Radice_2 dot Clear.jpg

C

carolinasmokes

Just came in from the deck, it's been a great afternoon smoking bowl after bowl of Carter Hall in a few different cobs, now it's time to get some dinner going so I can have that after dinner smoke and coffee. See ya.

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
Speaking about the weird and wonderful patents applied for and granted from the late 19th century in an effort to create 'the perfect pipe' most are hidden from view (Masta, Youngs, Peterson, Lamberts Drybore etc.) and unless you disassemble the pipe and look inside the chamber and/or at the attachments to the tenon you wouldn't know the difference compared to a regular pipe.

The patents that are visible from the outside can seem extraordinary to us today and on some examples it's hard to know how the patent works and exactly what benefit it provides.

One of the most unusual I've come across is this unidentified HOC Syphon patent 13397 made in Strasbourg ...
20201010_165457_resized (1).jpg

... of a type I've only seen once before on a clay pipe with removable bowl
20210617_173141.jpg

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
Afternoon everyone, unfortunately due to a lack of sleep today has been rather unproductive and I’ve only just finished my second bowl of the day, Blockade Runner in the Snakeskin Longchamp. Closer inspection is making me think it’s actually lizard skin of some nature rather than snake, some poor creature died to provide it anyway.
Three Nuns Green up next in the bent Ornsby Pipe. View attachment 84879
My lizard appears to have done a runner but when I locate it I'll take a pic to compare skins with your pipe.
In the meantime here's snakeskin, baby croc and adult croc skin to compare
20210617_185902.jpg

I’m not sure whether it was ever used on those or not, but ostrich leg can look quite a bit like lizard as well.
Sorry, did you say ostrich leg or egg?
20190121_074720_resized (1).jpg
Proved useful for storing pipe tobacco once upon a time long before I bought the Le Parfait jars

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Trying a sample of HU Nyala. Completely unexpected. Very burley and cigar leaf forward; the red Virginia is almost non-existent. Very unexpected. I didn't know HU did burley like this. It's similar to Cornell and Diehl burley.
IMG_20210617_191032.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011

St. Bruno: Ready Rubbed in a Meer...
B0ZmWPX.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.