PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another thought.
5- 8oz bags of Esoterica has 1134 grams.
If it takes 3 grams per pipe there is 378 of smokes.
$1500.00 divided by 378 equals $3.96 per pipe smoke.
Is it worth it.
It is to someone willing and able to pay for it at that price for whatever the motivation.
Just because I could ... does it also mean I should?

See the thief example above.

I will not condone bad behavior. Whether you condone price gouging or buying stolen goods is your choice

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I'm not sure how I would feel about selling a bag of tobacco for 300 dollars, especially one that retails at a fraction of that. I'm glad I'm not in that position. If I did have the tobacco to sell, I'm not sure I would ask so much. It's very evident that someone will pay whatever for some of this stuff, but to me I just wouldn't feel right about it.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
I could do a lot of things. Whether I do it depends on my moral compass, my law abiding compass, my social compass, my sense of righteousness compass.
All of these varies from person to person.
May I ask you who was at fault here. The person that sold the tobacco for $300 per 8 0z or the person that purchased it. To some people $1500.00 just is not a lot of money for a $3.97 per hour of enjoyment. Far cheaper than other forms of enjoyment.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No ... the original tobacco merchant was providing value. The gouger did not. To get into why ... it will require a lot of discussion.... so I will leave you with an example...

You are a contractor. You provide value by buying raw materials, bringing in masons and manage the overall project. Do you think your customer would see value or your business would sustain if you just sold the raw materials at a premium and let the customer fend for himself?
Since the buyer didn't have access to the original retailer, the secondary seller provided value. Without him, the buyer gets no Stonehaven.

May I ask you who was at fault here. The person that sold the tobacco for $300 per 8 0z or the person that purchased it. To some people $1500.00 just is not a lot of money for a $3.97 per hour of enjoyment. Far cheaper than other forms of enjoyment.
That’s a very good question ?
Fault is a very strong word here...

I have mentioned earlier... if I was the buyer, I would rather pay a concierge the same amount of money as a service fee to hunt me down the scarce resource. This way, I am not encouraging the price gougers to create artificial scarcity, nor condoning bad behavior. This way the buyer is not right as he is doing a disservice to the fellow buyers

Also, since the seller is not a retailer he is also not right .

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Since the buyer didn't have access to the original retailer, the secondary seller provided value. Without him, the buyer gets no Stonehaven.
Yes and another possible senario is..the buyer just smoked the last of their 5 year old Stonehaven. Not wanting to wait another 5 years for his recently purchased bag... decides to splurge his latest stimulas check.

Reactions: sandollars
Guys ... on the buyer....

I just saw a news article today that buyers are paying 80K for a Kia. I just want to know who is the stupid buyer who thinks I have 80K - I will not buy a BMW, nor a Porsche nor a Lexus nor a Merc nor a Audi nor a Landrover, nor a Jaguar nor a Honda, nor a Infiniti nor a Toyota nor a Mazda nor a Nissan but will be price gouged for a Kia.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The buyer did not have access to the retailer because of previous bad behavior of the buyer which encouraged gouging
You have no way of knowing that. The buyer may not have lived within 100 miles of a retailer who had Stonehaven to sell. The buyer may have been an attorney who billed $500'per hour for his time. It would have cost him more to spend 45 minutes calling retailers than it would to spend the $300 without any guarantee 45 minutes would yield a single bag much less 5.

You're looking at it solely from your perspective. Somewhere, there's a guy who is ecstatic about finding 5 bags of Stonehaven which will provide him 400 hours of enjoyment for the paltry sum of $1,500. There's probably 500 guys in Vegas who spent that tonight for a couple of hours with a high end hooker. Are those hookers gouging too? It's not going, is called a free market.

You have no way of knowing that. The buyer may not have lived within 100 miles of a retailer who had Stonehaven to sell. The buyer may have been an attorney who billed $500'per hour for his time. It would have cost him more to spend 45 minutes calling retailers than it would to spend the $300 without any guarantee 45 minutes would yield a single bag much less 5.

You're looking at it solely from your perspective. Somewhere, there's a guy who is ecstatic about finding 5 bags of Stonehaven which will provide him 400 hours of enjoyment for the paltry sum of $1,500. There's probably 500 guys in Vegas who spent that tonight for a couple of hours with a high end hooker. Are those hookers gouging too? It's not going, is called a free market.
I will send out a Concierge

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I will send out a Concierge
Kewl. Let me know when you can find someone who will drive several hundred miles in search of Stonehsven for less than $300. I personally wouldn't do it, I'd rather pay the $1,500. There's no guarantee your guy would find even one bag so you could spend the money and end up with nothing.

• Love
Reactions: sandollars
Kewl. Let me know when you can find someone who will drive several hundred miles in search of Stonehsven for less than $300. I personally wouldn't do it, I'd rather pay the $1,500. There's no guarantee your guy would find even one bag so you could spend the money and end up with nothing.
Money was not the point. Point was to oust the vultures from the market

Status
Not open for further replies.