3 Fresh Davide Iafisco Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Paying cash is great, especially if you would have spent that money on too many expensive pipes and tobacco!
Well, the goal is to not have to have a mortgage, not to see what a low percentage to gain. I always looked to pay the mortgage off in as few years as I could with three children and later with them in college.

They graduated with no student loans, but it took being frugal in other areas.

Last year I sold the family farm and move to Alabama. I found a nice older home and spent close to $30k in upgrades and repairs, but I took $25 K off the asking price and they accepted.

The idea that cigarette smoke, animal dander/waste damage, damage to walls, or any other possible situation that a buyer must accept and not try to get a lower price is just some people blabbing. Trust me, I am not going to pay the asking price and neither are other buyers.

Cars are the same. I was looking at an otherwise nice Mercedes with cigar odor. I didn't even consider it. Lord knows you cannot get the smell out. It is the same with people who haul their dogs with muddy paws.

All I am saying is, to reflect to a fellow member's opinions, do whatever you want since it is yours; just don't expect me to pay for the liberties you enjoyed...;)

Well, the goal is to not have to have a mortgage, not to see what a low percentage to gain. I always looked to pay the mortgage off in as few years as I could with three children and later with them in college.

They graduated with no student loans, but it took being frugal in other areas.

Last year I sold the family farm and move to Alabama. I found a nice older home and spent close to $30k in upgrades and repairs, but I took $25 K off the asking price and they accepted.

The idea that cigarette smoke, animal dander/waste damage, damage to walls, or any other possible situation that a buyer must accept and not try to get a lower price is just some people blabbing. Trust me, I am not going to pay the asking price and neither are other buyers.

Cars are the same. I was looking at an otherwise nice Mercedes with cigar odor. I didn't even consider it. Lord knows you cannot get the smell out. It is the same with people who haul their dogs with muddy paws.

All I am saying is, to reflect to a fellow member's opinions, do whatever you want since it is yours; just don't expect me to pay for the liberties you enjoyed...;)
“You” don’t have to, but someone will. puffy

I'm mostly surprised that all of this is like "news" to some. I don't follow real estate like the stock market or anything, but just watching the news and watching houses around me... interest rates are as low as they've ever been. Demand is up, it's a sellers market. Will this all mean more toxic loans on down the road?... probably.
Is it a great market to be a buyer? Well, it's definitely the easiest it's ever been to get a loan. They seem to be giving them away, left and right. But, I'm certain that you won't get a deal on a house. You may be made to "feel" like you're getting a deal, but...

Cars... I just don't sell my vehicles out right. I trade them in, and get a premium on my trades. Never has a dealer said, "smells like smoke, don't want it." Besides, dealing with a numbskull trying to get a loan on his own, or thinking someone will pay cash for a two year old Nissan Frontier... just more stress than it's worth.

Reactions: ofafeather

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
So I used to rent cars out of a Toyota dealership. We had a fleet of 50-75 cars depending on the season. We had a “strict” no smoking policy, since once the cars hit 20,000 we sold them to the dealership who then sold them as used cars.

I smoked in them. My boss smoked in them. Customers smoked in them.

We sprayed Fabreze.

Once and a while, a customer would hold her nose (it was always a woman) and cry that it smelled like smoke. I’d get the fabreze. The only time it was a problem was with long-term rentals, like two weeks or more, with people who spend four hours a day in the car chain smoking and ashing on the carpet, leaving butts on the floor etc. Then we’d charge them $200 cause they’re slobs and deserved it. Other than that, we had very little issue, 99% of customers either noticed nothing or weren’t bothered enough to say something.

As far as smoking in the house and keeping value up, we don’t smoke inside here simply because we don’t want to. Well, I do once in a blue moon...but anyway, my girlfriend works in a field where, once and a while a six-figure job pops up in some far-flung place like Virginia or Idaho or something and if she gets it, we gotta move. We don’t want to have to de-smoke the place, whatever that involves.

So I used to rent cars out of a Toyota dealership. We had a fleet of 50-75 cars depending on the season. We had a “strict” no smoking policy, since once the cars hit 20,000 we sold them to the dealership who then sold them as used cars.
Yeh, I remember a guy with a cigarette, setting in the drivers side at Enterprise CarRental, handing me the form telling me, "sign here that you won't smoke in the car." wink wink... EVERYONE smokes in a rental car, that smokes.
I don't ever remember seeing anyone go through a car that I've returned, except maybe to walk around it looking for dents.

As far as smoking in the house and keeping value up, we don’t smoke inside here simply because we don’t want to.
Absolutely nothing wrong with not smoking in your own house. I totally respect that. It's just the whole "I don't because I am a slave to keeping my house at top value to sell" that bothers me. And, thus it keeps this discussion on topic, since it's a myth. puffy

I can see this maybe in California or New York, where people are more "touchy about smoking", and I have no idea what their markets look like. But, if I was stuck in one of these areas, I probably wouldn't smoke. I enjoy living in an area where I can smoke in restaurants and out in public and everyone smiles and doesn't seem to scorn smokers.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
<< Snipped bits out >>

Absolutely nothing wrong with not smoking in your own house. I totally respect that. It's just the whole "I don't because I am a slave to keeping my house at top value to sell" that bothers me. And, thus it keeps this discussion on topic, since it's a myth. puffy
I'm the one who introduced value being reduced due to smoke odors. It's a real thing in some markets. But, oddly, I don't feel a slave to that precept! It's because my GF and son find the odors unpleasant.
I can see this maybe in California or New York, where people are more "touchy about smoking", and I have no idea what their markets look like. But, if I was stuck in one of these areas, I probably wouldn't smoke. I enjoy living in an area where I can smoke in restaurants and out in public and everyone smiles and doesn't seem to scorn smokers.
I enjoy living in an area that has smoke free restaurants, and be out in public free to smoke in most places. Everyone smiling? Only in Marin.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I enjoy living in an area that has smoke free restaurants, and be out in public free to smoke in most places. Everyone smiling? Only in Marin.
I disagree that all public places should be smoke free. Bars - Bars should definitely have the option to have indoor smoking. I get that the law is there to protect the workers, but it is possible to have ventilation installed that allows the air to circulate at a safe rate. Yes, we have cigar bars in California, but you have to buy the cigar at the establishment and that means in effect - NO PIPE SMOKING. For Pete's sake, we have 420 Lounges in California.

A society without the ability to participate in risks to one's health is in fact, not a free society.

I disagree that all public places should be smoke free. Bars - Bars should definitely have the option to have indoor smoking. I get that the law is there to protect the workers, but it is possible to have ventilation installed that allows the air to circulate at a safe rate. Yes, we have cigar bars in California, but you have to buy the cigar at the establishment and that means in effect - NO PIPE SMOKING. For Pete's sake, we have 420 Lounges in California.

A society without the ability to participate in risks to one's health is in fact, not a free society.
Here, most places have no smoking policies, but when I ask politely if this means pipes also, I almost always get the go-ahead to smoke my pipes. But, YMMV, because I am always a polite smoker that tries my best not to get my smoke in folk's way. Some places have no restrictions on smoking at all. I believe Longhorn steak house still has ashtrays on the tables. But, honestly, I too can't stand to be around cigarette smokers. I don't think they realize how bad their smoke smells.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

I didn't say that at all!

And I believe that private enterprises should have the option to allow or disallow smoking.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Trust me, I am not going to pay the asking price and neither are other buyers.
Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, you definitely wouldn’t be paying asking price, you are right! You’d be paying much more than asking if you wanted to buy a house. And it’s such a sellers’ market here that you could operate a hookah lounge inside your house and the price would not budge a bit downward.

It’s all about the market and the market cycle— I’ve been outbid several times trying to buy a duplex in Milwaukee that’s gone well over asking!

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I didn't say that at all!

And I believe that private enterprises should have the option to allow or disallow smoking.
No you didn't say that. This is the problem with the reply button. If you use it to provide some context to what you are about to say while also trying to address another thought, it does make it look like you are replying directly to the the previous respondent. I appreciate your correction.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, you definitely wouldn’t be paying asking price, you are right! You’d be paying much more than asking if you wanted to buy a house. And it’s such a sellers’ market here that you could operate a hookah lounge inside your house and the price would not budge a bit downward.

It’s all about the market and the market cycle— I’ve been outbid several times trying to buy a duplex in Milwaukee that’s gone well over asking!
Same here as well. Asking price plus the highest bid. I had mentioned that in a previous post. ?

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ

This came up a number of years ago in Arizona. At first the bar and restaurant owners were against restrictions on their freedoms. Then, when they realized they were going to piss off a certain percentage of their clientele on either side of the issue, they supported the new restrictions so they could blame it on the "state". Sad but true.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

Thanks for posting that.

Before the internet about every pipe came packed with instructions similar to those.

If there ever were instructions printed on how to smoke cigarettes or cheap cigars I’ve never seen any.:)

Every word of the Mastercraft instructions was carefully thought out, arranged, edited, spell checked, and had to be published.

If any of it is mythical none of it advises anything harmful to the pipe.