Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I never have fully trusted anyone who seemed to lack a good "vice" or two.

Moses liked black women - and married one (admittedly this is not a real vice in the modern understanding of vice, but his sister, Mariam, certainly thought differently;
King David is renowned for them, recall Bathsheba;
Let's not even get started on Solomon;
Hosea liked his women to be a bit loose.

History is full of great people who had vices.

There's nothing like a little vice to spice up one's life.

Obviously, I am saying all of this with a bit of humor.

But... it remains true. We as pipe smokers have an obvious vice - smoking, buying tobacco, and apparently too many pipes.

My question is, what other vices do you have...?

As I stated somewhere else, I enjoy a good western boot, even if it is made out of sea turtles.

And like Moses, I enjoy my coffee black, just like my women...

I stand ready to be cancelled.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
None really. I consider all those things to be sacramental part of embracing and celebrating the gifts gods bestowed on us all. (Seriously the fact that two people can make each other feel amazing just by touching each other and over stimulating the endocrine system, that's a genuine blessing if you ask me). Video gaming that's certainly one of my vices.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
So this thread reminds me of an Ugly Kid Joe song, though I hardly think riding motorcycles is a vice.

I used to enjoy plenty of vices! However as I age and mellow like a fine Cyprian Latakia I find that other people have ruined many vices for me. Mostly by over-serving themselves! However, silver lining, there is some sort of pandemic thing going on so there is like no chance of any of this "other people" nonsense.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So this thread reminds me of an Ugly Kid Joe song, though I hardly think riding motorcycles is a vice.

I used to enjoy plenty of vices! However as I age and mellow like a fine Cyprian Latakia I find that other people have ruined many vices for me. Mostly by over-serving themselves! However, silver lining, there is some sort of pandemic thing going on so there is like no chance of any of this "other people" nonsense.
yeah it's gross when someone eats too much cheesecake.

telescopes

Absolutely love Imos. Those who have never had it are truly missing out. I'm glad we have one in Springfield. When I lived closer to STL I ate it quite a bit.
Provel cheese with bacon and sausage and I am ready to go. Saint Louis style pizza is one of the truly great foods next to toasted raviolis. You my friend, know that which of I speak. And now, let us talk about Pork Steaks and Mauls.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Provel cheese with bacon and sausage and I am ready to go. Saint Louis style pizza is one of the truly great foods next to toasted raviolis. You my friend, know that which of I speak. And now, let us talk about Pork Steaks and Mauls.
I like my imos bacon and banana peppers. Can't be beat man. And man youre making my mouth water. Maulls is probably my favorite and ive had more pork steak living in Missouri than I ever have.

Last edited:

telescopes

I like my imos bacon and banana peppers. Can't be beat man. And man youre making my mouth water. Mauls is probably my favorite and ive had more pork steak living in Missouri than I ever have.
Living in California has been difficult when it comes to many of the great Saint Louis foods simply not found anywhere else.

Pork Steaks
Provel Cheese
Toasted Ravioli
St. Paul’s sandwich
gerber sandwich
St Louis style salads
Mauls
Mayfair dressing
Otts
Baked Mostecelli
Gooey Butter Cake
slinger

the list goes on and on.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Living in California has been difficult when it comes to many of the great Saint Louis foods simply not found anywhere else.

Pork Steaks
Provel Cheese
Toasted Ravioli
St. Paul’s sandwich
gerber sandwich
St Louis style salads
Mauls
Mayfair dressing
Otts
Baked Mostecelli
Gooey Butter Cake
slinger

the list goes on and on.
I can definitely understand it. I've been away from St. Louis for around three years now but I can still find a lot of that stuff, minus the sandwiches. I havent tried looking for maulls but im sure if I looked hard enough I could find it. The loss I'm still mourning is Heavy Pepsi. God that stuff was good. Its fountain Pepsi but with more syrup. Definitely not the best thing to drink on a daily basis but man it was good. Way better than regular Pepsi. Don't know if you ever heard of it, it may have just been in the area I was in, about an hour or so south of St. Louis. Cant find it in Springfield. Probably for the best.

Reactions: smknron

telescopes

I can definitely understand it. I've been away from St. Louis for around three years now but I can still find a lot of that stuff, minus the sandwiches. I havent tried looking for maulls but im sure if I looked hard enough I could find it. The loss I'm still mourning is Heavy Pepsi. God that stuff was good. Its fountain Pepsi but with more syrup. Definitely not the best thing to drink on a daily basis but man it was good. Way better than regular Pepsi. Don't know if you ever heard of it, it may have just been in the area I was in, about an hour or so south of St. Louis. Cant find it in Springfield. Probably for the best.
I worked in a well known St. Louis Italian restaurant as a chef in the 80s. When I left, I took the recipes with me. Even with those secrets, some ingredients elude me. I can come close, but no cigar. The Missouri wines, catfish sandwiches, the way they can do Italian food on the Hill. All of that is so far away. When I visit, I always gain weight.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I worked in a well known St. Louis Italian restaurant as a chef in the 80s. When I left, I took the recipes with me. Even with those secrets, some ingredients elude me. I can come close, but no cigar. The Missouri wines, catfish sandwiches, the way they can do Italian food on the Hill. All of that is so far away. When I visit, I always gain weight.
It really is a pretty unique place. I always liked going to the Delmar Loop or Soullard. Seen some really good concerts in St. Louis too.

Reactions: telescopes