PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
A Hunter Thompson hallucination? from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas but it doesn't look like Johnny Depp.

"The drugs took hold about an hour outside of Barstow." One of the most memorable first sentences I've read.
That’s the one. From the film, I reckon it’s the lighting that makes him look less Depp-like in that shot.

I was right in the middle of a f***ing reptile zoo, and somebody was giving booze to these goddamn things. Won't be long now before they tear us to shreds.”

So many good quotes in that book.

1allspub

Lurker
Apr 3, 2021
Sun City, AZ
Well, I don’t know if I’d call it a vice in-and-of itself, but I am an inveterate knife guy (mostly small, high-end folding pocket knives, though a few fixed blades as well). Rick Hinderer, Chris Reeve, and Spyderco are the knives I own most of, but have owned many others as well. I currently own 30-40 knives (plus a few swords—not cheap replicas, but real swords built for battle... and sharp!). But my collection of knives is about halved now compared to my heyday. This hobby isn’t a “vice” per se unless, and until, I let it myself make purchase decisions that would be wiser not to make (ie, “I just gotta have this *fill in the blank* knife”) given my finances of the moment. :)

Another thing I am drawn to is small pocket flashlights, particularly copper ones. Same deal vis-a-vis the “vice” factor of knives! ;)

Also, Gibson Les Paul guitars... I have (and have had) far too many Les Pauls in my ”collection” than my playing ability justifies. LOL! I just love them! Something about their aesthetic, feel, and history that I am drawn too almost irrationally. ?

Cars. I have owned many, many cars/trucks in my life. Muscle cars (many Firebirds, & Trans Ams), sports cars (a couple of Corvettes), 4WD pickups, commuter cars, etc (even a Polaris RZR 1000 side-by-side ATV). I currently own 5 vehicles (including a Vette and the RZR) and would buy another if I spotted a car I desired and thought I could talk the wife into it! ?

And, of course, cigars and pipes (Peterson almost exclusively). In the past I have had 200-300 cigars in my humidors (closer to 100 now) and my Pete count is currently at 16, though one that I recently purchased is gonna get returned to SPC for wonky stem fitment. In reality, a grand total of 3 pipes would be all I really *need* to satisfy my rotation requirements (4 would be better, but I could get away with 3). But, as with knives and flashlights and guitars and cars... it seems when I find something I like I tend to buy more than I really need... and THAT, gentlemen, is my real vice! :eek:puffy

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Vices? I’ve cut back on those, pretty drastically. I still enjoy a drink here and there, but after being whiskey-soaked for a couple years (I was up to a pint or more a day at the end) I cut back. Now it’s a glass of scotch about twice a month. I know. Crazy!

I used to do a lot of drugs as a younger man. No cocaine or meth or heroin, but everything else was on the table and consumed pretty regularly. It’s been 10 years or so since those daze. Finally had to take a hard look at myself (when I woke up at 430pm) and settle down, but I still have anxiety problems stemming from it. I hardly even take aspirin anymore.

I eat a lot of garbage food. I guess, next to pipes that’s my real vice. Butter and Salt, and candy. Ironic, since I grow organic vegetables for a living.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Pipes, cigars and the occasional cig. I allow myself 3 or 4 cigarettes a week at band practice. I drink whiskey, all varieties, or rum maybe once a week. Now legal in Arizona Cannibis gummies 1 or 2 on a weekend. It’s so much more pleasant and relaxing than the old days of getting high and stupid as a teen/ college student.

On the vice scale, I’m pretty low. Most of us seem to be more hobby than vice. Let’s see who’s got real vices, assault and battery, grand theft auto, drug dealing to minors, any slum lords or human traffickers in here? Come on some of you must be real lech’s, publicly air your vices. Any serial killers, racists, dictators who oppress entire populations, that’s some vice right there!

Tongue firmly implanted in cheek!