PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I wouldn't mind chatting with someone about pipe smoking or while smoking. As long as the person is being polite about it I don't see any issues (I can't stand intoxicated people though). So far I have been approached by only one stranger while doing so.

I don't get the attitudes of some people here. We are after all socializing on a forum dedicated to pipe smoking. People welcome new people here but in the real life would just walk away and refuse to talk?
Because some people are complete assholes but pretend not to be.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I am president of our HOA and last night I was ending our yearly meeting. One of the women in the zoom meeting wanted to let everyone know what a fine person I was and how thankful she was for the leadership I provided and asked that I reconsider not running again for next year and hoped I would remain on the board. My wife pipes up and says, " I think that goes for the other board members as well." I looked at her and asked her what she was thinking. I told I was confused that she couldn't accept that woman's praise of my efforts. She told me, "I didn't realize she was talking about you!"

One never really knows until the wife opens her mouth and tells you.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I think this is the very reason I prefer to smoke in my study or backyard, I just can't find that kind of relaxation when I am smoking outside and people are around. There was one friendly, although almost ghostly encounter as I was sitting outside a small rural bed & breakfast near the Slovak-Polish border smoking a pipe later in the evening and an old man came up to me. He asked politely if he could sit down for a while. He sat down on the bench for 15 minutes, just breathing in the smoke and then left without a single word spoken. Must've been either a former pipe smoker or fleeing from his old lady that evening. puffy

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I remember my grandfather stopping at this local gas station and getting $2 worth of gas circa 1960's. It didn't occur to me later he was getting 8 gallons....LOL!!.

My first car was a '73 Subaru GL and gas was $1.35.

The only Dodge/Plymouth vehicle I ever owned was a '84 Plymouth mini van. We loved that thing as a family.

Now days I have a '99 Tahoe and an 2015 Subarui Forester.
Sending you a PM

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Mostly non-pipe people will engage me in a conversation about my smoking, usually curious, and polite about it. Most other "pipe guys" are more interested what products I use on my beard.....the answer is nothing other than regular 2-1 shampoo, and conditioner, and the only trimming it gets is when it's long enough that the fire from the grill shortens it a little making proper steaks.

H

Hfinn

Actually, I don't mind letting a friend hold my pipe. But no smoking, just look.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I am beginning to think the same rules that apply to pipes apply to motorcycles.

1. Don’t sit on another’s motorcycle,
2. Don’t ask to sit on another’s motorcycle,
3. Don’t even touch another’s motorcycle,
4. Don’t offer suggestions, criticism, or anything but praise about another’s motorcycle,
5. Don’t stare too long at another’s motorcycle. Move along.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I do not mind when people ask me about the tobacco or pipe or my net worth. I just don't answer the last one, and try to be pleasant about the others.

Most comments I get are from women, who "just love the aroma". ..... and that's all English, all with Latakia and often Perique.

Net worth... I never understood why people do this and it gets me upset every single time... maybe it's a cultural mannerism. While I am usually a social person at work or when travelling for work, I did always prefer to keep my home closed as a sort of private sanctuary. This means that it was always rare for us to invite friends or colleagues from work over for dinner unless it was an absolute social necessity or we really felt in the mood for it. On these rare occurrences, we would usually have dinner and if I felt especially sociable I would invite the other party into my study for a cigar (never a pipe for hygiene reasons) afterwards.

I am a very forgiving person in general, but the one sure way to never get invited into my home again is asking about my salary or, even worse, casually asking how much an object costs, such as one of my pipes, and then trying to estimate my salary by asking how frequently I buy that object in the most obvious way possible.

Mind you, I'm not a rich person. I simply save up to keep my house in good condition, be it with selected furniture or objects of personal interest. My home is the central place of relaxation and inner peace for me... so, of course, a large part of my salary goes into my place of living. I have always valued living space as one of the very top priorities when planning my expenses.

Back when I lived in Slovakia people would drive the most expensive cars as a status symbol, while barely being able to afford to live in a 30m² flat as a family of four... I never understood that and the whole necessity of talking about money to others. cray

Status
Not open for further replies.