PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2020
Portland, OR
The idea of seeing another pipe smoker on the wild feels unlikely where I live, I’m not sure what i’d do. generally though, if I’m outside smoking my pipe I’m not looking to converse with anyone. But some people are impervious to my overt “please do not approach,” signals.

last week a drunk guy in the park saw me smoking and was engaging me in an unsolicited conversation. He said “oh I do the same thing too.” I was like “nice.” and kept smoking. Then he asked me if he could have a hit, lol. I just said “this is tobacco.” He didn’t say anything after that, just stood there awkwardly. I told him to have a good night and moved along.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So if I see someone buying the same toilet paper I use i should engage a wiping technique conversation.

I've never felt better since the social distancing practice came into play.

?‍♂️
That's quite a leap. Once everyone does something there is no tribal affinity. Additionally unlike a pipe there isn't a lot to learn about wiping for example no one is going to introduce you to a rare hard to find t.p..

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
That's quite a leap. Once everyone does something there is no tribal affinity. Additionally unlike a pipe there isn't a lot to learn about wiping for example no one is going to introduce you to a rare hard to find t.p..
Well, I've never been able to find Charmin with Aloe in Canada anywhere, so maybe it'd be useful to have a shitty conversation every now and then. ;)

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I'm friendly enough to engage with someone and explain gracefully why I wouldn't want to share a pipe or smoke something they have, etc. Should I be pissed off that this stranger doesn't know me, my preferences, my personality, and boundaries? Should I also be grumpy if they ask me what kind of pipe I like? @cosmicfolklore , I think you have a double standard. You don't like when people make assumptions and when they ask questions.

Now, I wish I was unapproachable to a degree because, and this came up tonight with the wife, drunk guys always seem to seek acknowledgment from me and they get aggressive when I don't give into their bullshit or feed their egos by shaking their hand or letting them smoke my pipe or stop to talk about whatever the fuck or whatnot. I think it's the long hair and my clothes and demeanor or whatever that makes people wonder what I'm thinking about them if I make eye contact, which I don't avoid. People call me Jesus a lot, like they're the first Mensa genius to ever make that comparison. I end up having to walk away.

Lots of drunk people suck.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
Well, I guess it depends on person coming to have a talk. If I sat comfortably, smoking slow and delicious, having that pleasant calm and pondering state of mind, I wouldn't like someone coming fussing around. I suppose I wouldn't mind someone coming near - not too - and getting out a pipe of his own, lighting it and smoking, quietly. Then a careful sensing, whether there would be anything to discuss, and if no, just keep smoking. Quietly.
On the other hand, here in Finland we're not known for our eagerness to talk. ;)

But to go negative pointing, I'd say no touching of another man, nor his pipe, nor anything that is his. Not meaningless word, nor gesture. A friendly smile wouldn't be too offensive. But quiet mutual understanding is the best. And smoking.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
I wouldn't mind chatting with someone about pipe smoking or while smoking. As long as the person is being polite about it I don't see any issues (I can't stand intoxicated people though). So far I have been approached by only one stranger while doing so.

I don't get the attitudes of some people here. We are after all socializing on a forum dedicated to pipe smoking. People welcome new people here but in the real life would just walk away and refuse to talk?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I never sat in a '58 Plymouth Fury but from about 1964 through 1972, my dad only bought Plymouth Fury models. We had a Fury, a Fury II and then a Grand Fury with a 383 (6.28 Liter as a size comparison for today). We didn't worry about gas mileage back then since we were paying less that 40 cents a gallon for gas.
I remember my grandfather stopping at this local gas station and getting $2 worth of gas circa 1960's. It didn't occur to me later he was getting 8 gallons....LOL!!.

My first car was a '73 Subaru GL and gas was $1.35.

The only Dodge/Plymouth vehicle I ever owned was a '84 Plymouth mini van. We loved that thing as a family.

Now days I have a '99 Tahoe and an 2015 Subarui Forester.

Status
Not open for further replies.