PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
I worked at a massive video games company some years ago. I liked the tasks but avoided people at the end. They were so full of (uninteresting) trash and all I wanted was to be left alone.
I went freelance. Sitting in my own office, crammed with books, old typewriters, steel nibs and crap. And I started smoking pipe. Alone at last.

I do have a wife and kids and I enjoy their company immensely, but during office hours I work and smoke my pipe utterly alone. And I love it.

Of course, this is in Sweden—smokeless country—so I have never had the chance to smoke my pipe with other people (I saw a bus driver taking a pipe pause once) but I'm not sure I need or want to hang out with people physically when piping. I want to choose my own thoughts. Peoples yapping tend to demand you choose otherwise.

Reactions: autumnfog
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Ok ok ok... I prefer not to have to take my pipe out of my clench when smoking, because that is essential to my enjoyment of smoking a pipe. But, I do go out with my wife shopping and chose a place off to the side of anyone else or just somewhere where I can enjoy my pipe in peace, but there is something magical about pipes that attracts people. I have been asked to allow a child to smell my tobacco, angsty women want to set down and tell me their woes, other men interested and wanting to ask questions about pipes, and people that just want to set near me to smell my tobacco.
I don't have a natural paranoia that people are offended by my smoke. In fact, I have seen way more evidence in roaming the country that people love pipe smoke; Virginias, VaPers, burleys, Latakia, you won't find me smoking any tooty fruities very often... not where people will see me doing it anyways. Maybe the rare Karen in the wild and her fake cough, but I just assume no one likes that slack jawed bitch anyways, ammmirite?

Essentially, I am a better listener than I am a jawer. So, listening while smoking, I can do. I can smile, nod... just listen. If asked a question, I'll wait till I have hit a point where I might need to tamp anyways before responding. If they're in a hurry, no sweat on me. An emergency on someone else's part, NEVER translates into an emergency on my part.

I love people. I am just not that adept at communicating. A pipe is my excuse to just be naturally more introverted. My wife will have her girlfriends over, and I don't mind enjoying my pipe on the deck with them. I just don't want to interact, but I listen. Laugh when appropriate (most of the time), and I enjoy being around them. I just don't want to take my pipe out of my mouth.

I think that keeping my mouth shut, and being the listener makes me a better social person. If I have something to say, I can tell you guys on here. puffy I am introverted, but that doesn't make me anti-social at all.

Yeh, cigar guys, get around them, and all they want to do is swing dicks and have pissing contests. I'll just be here smoking, laughing internally at the toxic masculinity. I don't mind being around it, just don't ask me questions, unless your willing to wait till :::I::: feel like taking my pipe out of my mouth.
Not taking your pipe out reminded me of a Groucho Marx TV interview , one that got him in trouble.

Seems he was interviewing a man and asked how many children he had to which the man reported a considerable number of offspring (can’t remember the number). Groucho asked why he had so many children and the man said “because I love my wife”. Groucho responded that he loved his cigar, but he takes it out every now and then. ???

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
Not taking your pipe out reminded me of a Groucho Marx TV interview , one that got him in trouble.

Seems he was interviewing a man and asked how many children he had to which the man reported a considerable number of offspring (can’t remember the number). Groucho asked why he had so many children and the man said “because I love my wife”. Groucho responded that he loved his cigar, but he takes it out every now and then. ???
Some of my favourite all time quotes are from Marx.

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”

and

“Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains.”

Some guy....

wilblee

Lurker
Mar 2, 2021
I don’t really have preference. I smoke wherever it’s allowed with whoever’s around. That being said, for the last year especially, the majority of the time it’s just me.

Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr

GDWTVB

Lurker
Apr 3, 2021
Dunkirk, NY
Great question. I have few people that I can honestly say are relaxing to have conversations with, and for me smoking a pipe is all about relaxation. So sometimes I smoke when my wife is around, which is excellent. But probably half the time she is busy or not in the mood, so I smoke alone. I have smoked with other friends, yet being non-smokers, they don't seem to enjoy it. (Ever gotten comfortable with everything layed out , lit up and five minutes into a bowl been asked to move because the wind is sending the smoke in their direction? never again.)

Grizz

• Wow
Reactions: OzPiper

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
Cigar and pipe smoking is something I usually do on a Friday night or a Sunday afternoon. Typically it’s a backyard with a beverage ordeal, decompression relaxation, mental recharge. I love getting together with other smokers on ocassion, but it’s pretty much my “me” time.

Reactions: OzPiper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

It's one of my favorite Marxian quotes. Too bad he never actually said it. But if anyone would have, he would have.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Great question. I have few people that I can honestly say are relaxing to have conversations with, and for me smoking a pipe is all about relaxation. So sometimes I smoke when my wife is around, which is excellent. But probably half the time she is busy or not in the mood, so I smoke alone. I have smoked with other friends, yet being non-smokers, they don't seem to enjoy it. (Ever gotten comfortable with everything layed out , lit up and five minutes into a bowl been asked to move because the wind is sending the smoke in their direction? never again.)

Grizz
Simple remedy - those don't get another invite ?
I have friends who are anti-smoking and friends who don't smoke but don't mind someone smoking around them (cigars and pipes, not cigarettes). Easy to organise get-togethers for each group separately.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
It's one of my favorite Marxian quotes. Too bad he never actually said it. But if anyone would have, he would have.
I dislike repeating something that is not true, so thank you for pointing it out. I caused me do some research.

He admiited to making the statement, but since it was edited for airing, no one heard it except the 200 in the live audience.

Groucho Marx: 'I Love My Cigar' (snopes.com)

Reactions: rushx9

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
I am fortunate to have amongst my friends several pipe smokers. I do enjoy sharing a good conversation with them, and feel that the pipe smoking somehow adds to the conversation. Another friend will join us, a non-smoker, who does not mind the smoke at all. If I am in a non-smoking crowd, I will not smoke.

Reactions: OzPiper and rushx9