PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Depends on the twist rate of the barrel. And while I can’t recall what the twist rate for an SKS or an AK is, they generally spin the bullet to stabilize out to several hundred yards.

So let’s look at projectiles. The Russians did develop a projectile with a steel core that had a hollow space up front so that when it impacted something the core would shift changing the balance and allowing the projectile to yaw.

I load 7.62x39, 29 grains H4895 compressed, under .32 caliber 100 grain Hornady XTP’s. They don’t yaw.

Cantaloupe sized holes are a result of cavitation...
How much cavity do you get in drywall? The yawing is due to the boattail and the weight of the rear of the bullet compared to the tip. Are your rounds boattail like Russian military rounds?

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
How much cavity do you get in drywall? The yawing is due to the boattail and the weight of the rear of the bullet compared to the tip. Are your rounds boattail like Russian military rounds?

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Boat tail projectiles where developed to provide better accuracy at longer ranges. Specifically to take advantage of the transition of bullet from supersonic to subsonic flight.

When I shot CMP High Power match, I loaded Speer 168 gr. Match Kings. They had boat tails. They are engineered for stability.

And working the pit during the match, you might get a little dirt thrown up, but those bullets tend to penetrate deep into the berm.

Furthermore, the bearing surface of a 123 gr. .310 diameter projectile in comparison to the overall length is not long enough to accommodate a boat tail. Such a projectile as you describe would be inherently inaccurate because it would rock from side to side and yaw while it was traveling down the barrel. The rear edge of the projectile would conceivably not be aligned along the axis of the projectile when it exited at the crown of the barrel throwing off accuracy even more, due to gas pressure escaping on one side of the round before the other side.

You’re blowin’ smoke. But I am amused by your stories.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
All of this is interesting but, for me, it comes down to shot placement. Practice, practice, and practice some more. Practice will offset some of the adrenaline response and,as far as I'm concerned, anything larger than a .380 round will do the trick. My 44 special Charter Arms sits by my bed.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
There was an ivory hunter named Karamojo Bell or something like that, who would drop elephants with a .275 rigby and other “small” calibers (which today are illegal to use on large dangerous game) while the other guys were using shoulder-wrecking double barreled .500 Nitros. It was all shot placement.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’ll change it tomorrow !? Actually, my mind deceived me! It’s an APEX.
Apex is great quality too.
I personally have had bad experiences with a few of their products and have sworn them off. A lot of their trigger kits can have burrs and misbent/miss ramped areas etc.

Reactions: Reggie and weezell

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
No judgment from me if that's the image roaming around your brain. You do you ;)
I just don’t want him roaming around my house

Boat tail projectiles where developed to provide better accuracy at longer ranges. Specifically to take advantage of the transition of bullet from supersonic to subsonic flight.

When I shot CMP High Power match, I loaded Speer 168 gr. Match Kings. They had boat tails. They are engineered for stability.

And working the pit during the match, you might get a little dirt thrown up, but those bullets tend to penetrate deep into the berm.

Furthermore, the bearing surface of a 123 gr. .310 diameter projectile in comparison to the overall length is not long enough to accommodate a boat tail. Such a projectile as you describe would be inherently inaccurate because it would rock from side to side and yaw while it was traveling down the barrel. The rear edge of the projectile would conceivably not be aligned along the axis of the projectile when it exited at the crown of the barrel throwing off accuracy even more, due to gas pressure escaping on one side of the round before the other side.

Actually here, you don’t know what you’re talking about but keep bein the king of all things in your own mind. ?

Reactions: weezell

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
If it's fuck me or fuck you... you are fucked...

tenor.gif

1618006591132.jpeg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have one of these but in black:

xm421.jpg

For when you gotta say "Ya know what? Fuck everybody in that general vicinity over there." I always find it amazing how people will talk bravado, and some actually are will, about getting into a gun fight but I've yet to meet anyone willing to take a chance to even come close to getting burnt to a cinder.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have one of these but in black:

View attachment 74488

For when you gotta say "Ya know what? Fuck everybody in that general vicinity over there." I always find it amazing how people will talk bravado, and some actually are will, about getting into a gun fight but I've yet to meet anyone willing to take a chance to even come close to getting burnt to a cinder.
Lol it doesn’t shoot out very far does it?

prolly not good for interior home protection lol

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

9C161D27-5C55-4EF3-8E75-545B466B918C.jpeg
Boat tail adds to the tumbling tendency

Status
Not open for further replies.