PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I've tried to eat carp with ramps. The ramps overpowers the muddy taste of the carp, but I just still couldn't... Catfish still has a very distinct fish taste that I really love.

I don't know why they kill them off. Maybe they just get too high in numbers or something.
We had a large round stock tub we let them live in for a few days to get the mud out, same with catfish

We had a large round stock tub we let them live in for a few days to get the mud out, same with catfish
I pull channel cats out of a local river here, when they run at night. I love drifting down the river in my canoe dragging some old milk jug lines. I don't get the monster cats, but just the normal fish sized ones. I've never had to do anything special, just nail their heads to a tree and skin 'em.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I pull channel cats out of a local river here, when they run at night. I love drifting down the river in my canoe dragging some old milk jug lines. I don't get the monster cats, but just the normal fish sized ones. I've never had to do anything special, just nail their heads to a tree and skin 'em.
We used to catch the monster cats when i was younger. now just the normal ones

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
A bait needle, never be without a bait needle. Saves much mess and waste of bait, especially if using lug or rag worms. Remember, rag worms bite!

Regards,

Jay.
Alright, I am curious as heck now. I want a full explanation with pictures of a bait needle and how to use it. You crazy British guys and your dangerous bait.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
1/64 ounce jig heads in various colors, bobbers and slip floats, and a few jars of 1” Gulp minnows or live red worms will catch you fish always.

My favorite river rig is a #6 hook, a split shot, and a night crawler. I’ve caught Muskie on that.

These are just basic, easy and effective and a good place to start before you drop big money on lures.

And carp are a blast to catch. I call them mud trout. They’re naturalized here in North America, killing them won’t make a difference. They’re slowly being accepted as worthy gamefish here, as they are in Europe.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
The key to keeping the chicken livers on is to keep it simple... don't try to thread them on. Just hook them twice and listen for the dreaded two bloops.. one bloop is good, two bloops is no good

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Oh man! It would take me too long to even think about answering that question. I have a tackle box for bass. I have a tackle box for crappie, catfish and other fresh water fish. I have a tackle box for speckled trout (sea trout) and flounder. I have three tackle boxes for redfish (red drum) - one for live bait, one for artificial lures and one for spinner baits and spoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.