PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I had one Salty Dogs pouch, was alright for my taste, won't buy again as there are so many others. Ascanian no2 that I am smoking this morning for example, is much better in my opinion.
I'm a huge fan of the Ascanian No 2. I think it's the Orientals that really make it something. It would be a good VaPer without them but nothing astounding. With them though, excellent.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I'm a huge fan of the Ascanian No 2. I think it's the Orientals that really make it something. It would be a good VaPer without them but nothing astounding. With them though, excellent.
Be interested to hear your thoughts, the first half of the bowl for me is dominated by the Orientals, this cumin-like taste I am getting from pure Greek Basma, then midway through the bowl they give way to the VaPer side, getting a lot sweeter as well.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Salty Dogs has changed,my latest plug is a different shape it’s shorter and wider, its texture is much much harder to cut like other plugs and IMHO the taste has changed.I have tried them side by side Iam picking up a strong liquorice taste in the new plug which isn’t there in the original.A84E3B32-2F26-405B-9503-CEC392C09397.jpeg

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Salty Dogs has changed,my latest plug is a different shape it’s shorter and wider, its texture is much much harder to cut like other plugs and IMHO the taste has changed.I have tried them side by side Iam picking up a strong liquorice taste in the new plug which isn’t there in the original.View attachment 73490
I can't tell from the picture, I smoked it last year and it was an extremely hard plug, the hardest I've handled. Very compact and very small in fact ,the tobacco was almost homogenized in one mass. Didn't pick up any liquorice from it.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I can't tell from the picture, I smoked it last year and it was an extremely hard plug, the hardest I've handled. Very compact and very small in fact ,the tobacco was almost homogenized in one mass. Didn't pick up any liquorice from it.
The original plug was soft and could be puled apart.I agree the new shape plug is unbelievably hard. My only concern is the taste its probably just me, I will have to smoke some more of it.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Its definitely a nice Va/per to return to while going through my rotation. I tend to favor it over the PH curly block, it may be the splash of rum that does it. However some of the other blends, especially @shanez list are spot on winners!!

Also, bought mine may 1-2 years ago and they are hard, dark, and dense! I am sure many of you like them this way! I sure do, not a huge fan of cakes or sweets for that matter.

And now need to find some ascanian no.2..thanks!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just looked at my jar that I have my test Salty Dogs is in from 2016 I believe. The plug is still black, it is still tough to cut and it smokes pretty well for a plug that needs a good 5 plus years.

If you think Slaty is a bitch to slice, grab a plug of Wessex Gold Brick, it is like trying to slice a freaking diamond. It is much harder to cut than Salty. I just tested a 2013 Gold Brick and while it is getting better, I think it needs another couple to 3 years to really shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.