PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I just received a block, sliced off a flake and did a combo rub n'chop to get the tobacco prepped. The whole time I was messing with the leaf, my mouth was watering. Super fantastic dark raisin smell! I gave it some drying time, as it had some clumpability right off the knife.
Once it was good to go, (maybe 10 mins) I loaded up in a MM bent patriot cob. I went fairly loose on the pack, and gave it some fire.

My first impression right off the bat was that this is rich and delicious. Creamy smoke, lots of raisins, not much hay, and the perique hits the nostrils but isn't overly peppery. It's kind of like a darker, stronger version of PS luxury navy flake. Occasionally when I retrohaled, it had notes of old dark fired.
Not much by way of rum. In fact, I only got the rum a few times in the first few draws of the bowl.
Speaking of drinks, I paired this with a glass of water with a splash of lime in it...but found myself wanting to pour a few fingers of whiskey. I didn't, (because it was still early in the day, and I was on the clock,) but I feel like this would pair very well with an Irish Whiskey.

In my book, this is a damn fine VaPer that ticks all the right boxes. The bowl of my cob got a little warm, as I was being greedy...so I slowed the cadence down and got more sweetness.
No problems with moisture (which is one reason why I chose a cob), and with very little effort it smoked right down to the bottom.

I highly recommend!

what is a VaPer you would go into debt for @cosmicfolklore ?
I will only tell you about a few blends, because I don't like to jinx ones that I may still be hoarding setting back. None of which are VaPers.
Wessex Gold Brick, Erinmore (I prefer the older recipe), Curley Cut Delux, and I did max out a credit card driving around the SouthEast buying up all the McClelland straight Virginias that I could when they closed. I almost maxed out a card trying to get all of the Bothy Flake I could also, but word got out before I heard that it was going away, so I didn't get much of it. dammit!!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I love Salty Dogs. It's my favorite plug, however I only smoke about 3 plugs so...

I usually butcher the crap out of it when cutting but once lit it's fantastic. I might have to try the cube cut method.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm not as dedicated as some...I won't mortgage my house for any tobacco! However, in the spirit of recommendation, what is a VaPer you would go into debt for?
For a great, readily available, plummy/raisin-y VaPer you don't have to go into debt for try some WCC Old Dominion. Especially with some age the plum comes forward a lot.

If you're feeling adventurous, order from Germany and get some Dan Tobacco Ascanian No. 2.

Cabbie's mix is also a great VaPer but hard to find.

St James Flake is what I consider to be the pinnacle of VaPers but it seems more focused on the VA aspect with the Perique as a support player.

A couple that I really enjoy but have cocoa/chocolate to them are GH&C's Louisiana Flake & Scotch Flake.

There's others but they're hard to come by even compared to a couple of the hard to finds above.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm not as dedicated as some...I won't mortgage my house for any tobacco! However, in the spirit of recommendation, what is a VaPer you would go into debt for @cosmicfolklore ?
Several of us went into a group buy the year Salty Dogs came out and got them for $9/plug. Picked up 20 myself, and agree, it's a great one. One of my Bruce Weavers is dedicated to it.

img_20170701_1625082.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a cutty meerschaum that seems to prefer SD’s, so that’s all I burn in it.
Funny you should say that. The year SD released was the year Bruce retired from carving. I was going to get him to make me a cutty tavern churchwarden for it but he had walked away from the business. He did gift me a few pipes though, and the Dublin with hippo tooth seemed an appropriate replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.