PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I've picked up my first two Canadian style pipes in the past couple of months, first a Castello shape 75 Lovat, and now a Ben Wade with an oval shank. I really like both pipes, and they're both very lightweight, so they clench easily. I'm also a big fan of the oval shank for clenching, as it results in a flatter, wider stem which sits in between my teeth easily.

I've been discovering recently that I am drawn to Billiard shaped pipes (of which Canadians are a sub-category), and I find that as long as they are nice and light, they don't need a bent stem to clench easily. I don't clench 100 percent of the time, but as I've progressed in my smoking technique, I'm clenching much more often than before, which is making me much more picky about the stem and button shape. Both of these recent purchases fit the bill perfectly.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
This is where it is at!!!!!

I owned a Dunhill that was 6 1/2 inches with a tiny button. Worthless hunk of wood and plastic.

I own some Comoy’s that are the 7 1/2 inches and the button work is just right
No kidding! I have a few pipes I picked up in the past year that just don't do it for me anymore since I started clenching more. One, an OMS Cherrywood poker, is a great smoker, but the stem and button are so thick that it feels like a toy in my mouth. Just like with goldilocks and the porridge, too thin isn't great, and neither is too thick. There's a "just right" that will guide my pipe purchases in the future.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I thought I had recently acquired my first Canadian, only to learn from a certain Canadian on here that it was actually a Lumberman.

It was then stripped of its Lumberman status by a Mod due to its freakish proportions. So I can't be much help on this question.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I had a Peterson #264 years ago that was a very comfortable pipe. They are mid sized and don’t jut out as far. Today I would probably opt for the fishtail version as the p-lips are awkward for me now. I think they look classy. You can pretend you are a brigadier inspecting the troops.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I think it is a myth that a long shank does contribute to a noticeable cooler smoke. But I could imagine that it does have some advantages considering moisture, since there is more space for the moisture to spread instead of collecting at one spot, which may lead to the infamous gurgling. But all this is speculation and maybe more important: The Canadian is a great looking, classic shape.

dsc_6016-jpg.43360

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
I have a BC Canadian shape that I really like. I don’t clench so it’s not really a non issue for me. Overall I like the aesthetic and plan to add more Canadians to the rack in the future

Reactions: edger

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think it is a myth that a long shank does contribute to a noticeable cooler smoke. But I could imagine that it does have some advantages considering moisture, since there is more space for the moisture to spread instead of collecting at one spot, which may lead to the infamous gurgling. But all this is speculation and maybe more important: The Canadian is a great looking, classic shape.

dsc_6016-jpg.43360
I think it cools a smoke but not in any miricale way.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
It just occurred to me that my old Peterson might have been market 264S. Did they make a smaller version at one time? The newer ones seem big and long. I bought mine in 1972. Calling all Peterson experts.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think of Canadian as a family of shapes, not a style exactly. A Canadian is a long oval- shanked pipe with a short stem. I think of it as the most stately shape, although I guess that is subjective. I have three of them, a Benton, a Stanwell, and a Johs. I like them.