PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Straight billiards is the 2nd most represented shape in my collection, but there are no Canadians or any of the other subsets (Lovats, lumbermen). Likewise I have @40 Bulldogs but only 3 Rhodesians.

One'stastes/likes in pipes is a very personal or peculiar thing

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Out of 35 +or- pipes, I have 5 of that family sized from group 3 to 5. They are all well used so I must like them.

2 Canadians: 1 Dunhill shell, 1 Stanwell
3 Lumberman: 1 shop pipe #255, 2 GBD

Reactions: ofafeather

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This is where it is at!!!!!

I owned a Dunhill that was 6 1/2 inches with a tiny button. Worthless hunk of wood and plastic.

I own some Comoy’s that are the 7 1/2 inches and the button work is just right
I hate wide stems. Absolutely hate them. But one of the dunhills I "restored" had the tiniest button on it. I couldn't even clench it. Nopeeee

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
So where would one get a good one with a nice big button? So many estates look as though they’ve been buffed to Mars and back. And new ones seem to mostly be Peterson, Savinelli, and BC. Is there a sweet spot short of a custom? Maybe a Brigham?

Last edited:

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Canadians, Lumbermen, Lovats and Liverpools make up most of my pipe collection. I shift between clenching, and just letting it kinda hang, and while they look like they would be more awkward than the standard billiard, I find it to be the opposite.
As others have mentioned, a properly sized and shaped button is huge in comfort and balance. I have a Dunhill LB that I dearly love. Its a great smoker with a gorgeous, melty blast, but its button is so low profile that I don't think any other pipe has landed on my shirt so much. I'll never let it go, but I often reach for other pipes over it.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Given that the shape is named after my country I do have a few really good examples, but I really much prefer the Lovat and Lumberman.
Saddle Stems are a lot more aesthetically pleasing to my eye.
I'm with you on that one. I really dislike the look of tapered stems. I have two lovats, a Sixten Ivarrsen design Stanwell 124 and a beautiful Bruce Weaver sandblasted lovat. I like the look of Lumbermans as well but can't do Canadians and Liverpools.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Canadians are one of my favorite shapes.
I think the long shank makes a stylish, elegant look in a reserved way.
But I prefer a clean look so no rings or adornments on a canadian.

I like lovats too, and this shape is more suited for rings, at least in my mind.
Former lovats for instance, they look great with a silver ring.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I had a canadian kriswill saga, was a nice pipe and light too. The button was too small for me, hard to clench. Even fell out of my mouth a couple times so I sold it.