PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
View attachment 68800
All this talk about cleaning a pipe with water got me to wondering - do you guys "really" know what you are talking about when it comes to smoking. What you see here is our family's sacred pipe, handed down for who knows how long. Normally, the pipe is not joined to the stem (for any lurkers out there who might have a coronary regarding protocol). The ashes are disposed of in a sacred fire, the same one from which the pipe is lit. Boy, o'boy, one has to really want to smoke my pipe. This pipe is a four winds pipe and when loading it, thanks are offered in the four directions. The pipe is smudged before and after it is lit and smoked. It is wrapped and stored under the thoughtful gaze of a series of Katchina from the Second Meza. Simple and for the most part unadorned, it is "the pipe" in my collection. More importantly, it is a family member who hopefully will be around for many generations to come. For those wondering what is in the bowl, that is some sage. It remains there until the pipe is ready to be smoked. Rituals...they just ain't for breakfast any more.
A telescopic pipe!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In my mind the tone of this post is both ineffective and offensive, especially the profanity, which I am not above. You can call me on at will. It has a lot in common with a gorilla's chest-pounding. Also the tone is constantly dismissive. and a great example of captainsousie's post. above.
That's your read. I'm just being blunt. I'm not responsible for others' thought processes.
It's obvious that wood and water don 't mix.
How is it obvious? How long would trees survive without any water?
If wood and water don't mix, then how does a pipe survive 45 minute to 2 hours of constant exposure to water based steam, day after day, year after year, decade after decade? Explain please?

Let's talk about dismissive.

A number of people in this thread have recounted their actual experiences using this technique, not imagined, actual. They have been quite happy with the results experienced first hand, in reality. This isn't testimony pulled from fevered dreams or an ouija board. Note, actual live real corporeal experience.

And this input gets assaulted by other people who have never tried a water clean, who have no actual practical or physical experience with it but are sure that water cleaning proponents are wrong, it can't be real, their statements must be a fabrication, the devil made them do it, they are agents of Satan, etc.

And you guys have the unmitigated gall to complain about being dismissive? Seriously? You are the very definition of dismissive. This is also the very definition of contempt prior to investigation.

So, no, I feel no need to respect this attitude.

• Love
Reactions: jhowell and jpmcwjr
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Wow, who would think there could be so much arguing over cleaning a pipe. However, there's only a half dozen or so people arguing so that's not a big deal. All I know is cleaning a pipe with water may be the #1 tip I've gained here at Pipes Magazine. I believe I started doing it around 1 1/2 to 2 years ago when reading it on a @jpmcwjr post. I've probably water cleaned pipes well over 1500 times since. I don't have thousand dollar pipes but these were Rad Davis, Castello, Howell, Rubio, Alden, Larrysson, Rutherford, Cermak level pipes.

I posted to share my experience with this thinking some people may find it as helpful as I did. Aside from that, I don't give a shit how anyone cleans their pipe. I don't even care if you clean it or not. If you're enjoying your pipe smoking, just keep on doing what you're doing it.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
We need a poll, a public register for each member. You can then choose which side you'd like to be lumped into.. You'll see quickly which side has better company.

You may just look around and find yourself in a group of contrarians.. if you don't wet your pipe

Reactions: jhowell

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I guess I’ve been kind of doing this nonchalantly for 14 years or so and never really thought about it. After using a retort on estates I could taste the dried ISO 99% slightly, so I started running water through it after and was always pleased with the results. The water seemed to work better than high proof rum, vodka, etc. which would impart a taste of course. It always worried me a bit but seemed to dry fast & get the job done.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
We need a poll, a public register for each member. You can then choose which side you'd like to be lumped into.. You'll see quickly which side has better company.

You may just look around and find yourself in a group of contrarians.. if you don't wet your pipe
I don't see it as a better or worse company. There is no scientific evidence for which method is superior. That may have something to do with a distinct lack of definition for "superior". The only scientific evidence I have is smoking over 100 bowls in several pipes while doing nothing more than clean with a pipe cleaner, wipe the bowl, water flush and wipe the bowl again with a paper towel.

I took a couple of these 100 + smoked pipes, took out the stem and did a deep clean with Everclear. There was very little "grime" in the stem or shank and it took 5 pipe cleaners or less, soaked in Everclear, to come out clean when run through the shank. It would normally take 15 to 20 and using a bristle brush with a fair amount of effort. Further, while there was a nice thin layer of cake built up in each pipe, I did not have the need to ream the cake either. None of these pipes sustained any damage I could see.

Again, I didn't come close to being the one to invent this, I don't have a copyright or patent on it and I get no royalties from people who adopt it. Frankly, I kind of enjoy being at least somewhat unique and even "Contrarian" so I truly don't give a shit if anyone else adopts this method or not. As a sincere Brother of the Leaf (BOTL), I feel compelled to share experiences like this. However, I do not feel the need to compel others to do what I do. I can't even get my wife, children or grandchildren to do WTF I tell them to do. How could I possibly expect a bunch of hard headed, grumpy old pipe smokers to follow along?

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I don't see it as a better or worse company. There is no scientific evidence for which method is superior. That may have something to do with a distinct lack of definition for "superior". The only scientific evidence I have is smoking over 100 bowls in several pipes while doing nothing more than clean with a pipe cleaner, wipe the bowl, water flush and wipe the bowl again with a paper towel.

I took a couple of these 100 + smoked pipes, took out the stem and did a deep clean with Everclear. There was very little "grime" in the stem or shank and it took 5 pipe cleaners or less, soaked in Everclear, to come out clean when run through the shank. It would normally take 15 to 20 and using a bristle brush with a fair amount of effort. Further, while there was a nice thin layer of cake built up in each pipe, I did not have the need to ream the cake either. None of these pipes sustained any damage I could see.

Again, I didn't come close to being the one to invent this, I don't have a copyright or patent on it and I get no royalties from people who adopt it. Frankly, I kind of enjoy being at least somewhat unique and even "Contrarian" so I truly don't give a shit if anyone else adopts this method or not. As a sincere Brother of the Leaf (BOTL), I feel compelled to share experiences like this. However, I do not feel the need to compel others to do what I do. I can't even get my wife, children or grandchildren to do WTF I tell them to do. How could I possibly expect a bunch of hard headed, grumpy old pipe smokers to follow along?

Just had a humorous thought- better make sure that Everclear is fully evaporated before your next light up or else... bye bye eyebrows!

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA

I was referring to the nay sayers as contrarians..

What I see when I read this thread:

* people who wash and have washed their pipes for years, with no issue. They are sharing a positive experience.

* people who do not wash their pipes, have never tried it.. but are somehow convinced it will one day jump up and bite their asses.. and destroy their pipes. These people act as if it hasn't been tested.. and they act like the word of bonafide dedicated forum members is no good.

I'm willing to bet that these people claim they can't swim either.. They just know it, even if they've never tried.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
The Everclear evaporates so quickly, I can't imagine that being an issue. However, one might wish to refrain from smoking while using it for cleaning purposes.
Haha of course But if Wile E. Coyote smoked a pipe.....
source.gif

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
I am a fan of cleaning my pipes with a water flush after each smoke. I have been cleaning my pipes in this manner since reading about it here around 18 months ago. As an experiment, I decided tonight to break down the tan Rubio Shape 55 that has well over 200 bowls smoked in it. This is the first time I have deep cleaned it to date. It was the first time I broke down the pipe for that matter, it was very tight.

The first photo shows the pipe cleaner, end dipped in Everclear, then run through the mouthpiece. I was shocked, nearly no residue. I ran it through several times and pushed it in and out and turned it.

The second photo is a progression, from top to bottom, of pipe cleaners dipped in Everclear run through the shank to the bottom of the bowl. Again, I was amazed at the small amount of residue build up. Most of what was picked up came from the draught hole area at the bottom of the bowl.

This further convinces me of the merits of the water flush cleaning technique. To be clear, after smoking and prior to the water flush, I run a pipe cleaner through the pipe then double it up to swab the inside of the bowl. I've also never reamed this pipe and there in a very thin layer of cake built up. It would normally take 20 to 25 pipe cleaners to deep clean a pipe with that many bowls smoked in it.

View attachment 39305

View attachment 39306
Maybe I missed it, but can you describe the technique. Hot or cold water? Do you inject it from. The stem end or bowl? Trying to get a picture of it in my head.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
the word of bonafide dedicated forum members is no good
Those are the same bonafide members that wouldn't take my word for my stem cleaning and needed to see video proof which I provided. Still waiting on a water cleaning video.

It isn't about belief, it's about being talked down to because you'd rather keep using cleaning methods you're comfortable with.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Those are the same bonafide members that wouldn't take my word for my stem cleaning and needed to see video proof which I provided. Still waiting on a water cleaning video.

It isn't about belief, it's about being talked down to because you'd rather keep using cleaning methods you're comfortable with.

I took your word about cleaning stems with my lighter.. It worked like a charm. For the record.

I did kind of deform one of my buttons.. but that's because I got carried away. Haha

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

Huh? Link, or it didn't happen.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.