PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Never had an issue with even a regular Zippo, but matches are another option.

giphy.webp

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA

labrax

Lurker
Jul 12, 2017
Central Massachusetts
If a cheap Bic does it for you, why spend more?

That said, many of us have several of the eBay S.T. DuPont counterfeit lighters, and they've been great. It looks like eBay is cracking down on them because the variety of styles has been drastically reduced. And the price has gone up. Do some creative searches, though and you'll find more.

Here's some previous posts about these lighters.

And some more.

s-l1600.jpg
Just bought this one per your post here and the previous thread you linked - have used another Chinese brand one that was a generic cheapie that has an angled flame for the past 4 years, bought two and one worked and the other didn't - so was looking for a new one. Thank you! Should see it in 1.5 months.

Dec 26, 2020
Lancaster, PA
I have tons of Zippos, a few old boy knockoffs, and other oddball lighters. The best one I have for pipe smoking is this one: Honest Pipe Lighter

What I like about that lighter is it gets in the bowl well, and I don't seem to char the rim that much. I feel like I char the rim more with Zippos, even the one I have with the pipe insert.

I also use hemp wick. I like this because it's like a long match. Just pay attention while it burns. When you put it out, it smells like a birthday candle.

I ordered one from Ali Express. Will report back once it arrives

If a cheap Bic does it for you, why spend more?

That said, many of us have several of the eBay S.T. DuPont counterfeit lighters, and they've been great. It looks like eBay is cracking down on them because the variety of styles has been drastically reduced. And the price has gone up. Do some creative searches, though and you'll find more.

Here's some previous posts about these lighters.

And some more.

s-l1600.jpg