PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
Strangest job I ever had: I modelled nude for my university art department. It paid almost $9/ hour and minimum wage was $4.25. And I was asked out by cute art girls. But had to say no for fear of dying to my even cuter non-artsy girlfriend. ha ha.
I guess the art room wasn't cold, otherwise the cute art girls wouldn't have asked you out ?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I play those pipe organs that the guy was restoring, and people actually pay me to do it. Not sure if that's too unusual, as there's at least one other organist on this forum, although this is the first forum (and indeed, non-musical social scene) that I've been a part of that had another organist as a member.

At the last church I went to, we had the largest pipe organ in the midwest. So I told the pastor when he goes to pastor's conferences he should introduced himself as "Hi, I'm Dave. I have the biggest organ in the midwest!" He didn't think that was funny.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Strangest job I ever had: I modelled nude for my university art department. It paid almost $9/ hour and minimum wage was $4.25. And I was asked out by cute art girls. But had to say no for fear of dying to my even cuter non-artsy girlfriend. ha ha.
Hopefully you could hold a pose. When I was getting my degree in Painting, Sculpture, and Graphic Arts at UCLA I took a number of life drawing classes. One of the models was a well muscled fellow who we later dubbed the electric man. At the end of one session all of us pinned our drawings up on the wall for the critique and it quickly became hilariously apparent that a certain part of his anatomy was in a state of constant flux.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I pierced ears - 2 for $5 at a portable table on the streets NYC mainly corner of Broadway and Prince street - it was an easy way to peddle the earrings which I did for a while until the Permit wielding Nam and Korea Vets ratted me out to the cops and they shut me down- true story

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Every spring I would call a company named Diffley and Daughters. They would come to my plaza, open a whole into my septic system and suck out all the nasty shit and old tampons and whatever else from a 2200 gallon galley system septic tank.

The guy who did this never even wore a mask. I always wondered what that poor bastard got paid to do it. His sense of smell must be shot.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Every spring I would call a company named Diffley and Daughters. They would come to my plaza, open a whole into my septic system and suck out all the nasty shit and old tampons and whatever else from a 2200 gallon galley system septic tank.

The guy who did this never even wore a mask. I always wondered what that poor bastard got paid to do it. His sense of smell must be shot.
Wasn't he the taste tester for Wendy's?

• Haha
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
We have a funeral home here in town....the funeral home portion is the lower level and the family lives upstairs.
How many locks would you have to put on THAT basement door? Imagine hearing a sound....any sound from down there at 2am...screw that! The fact that his wife signed off on that set up makes me more scared.
it's the living that cause problems the dead are at least generally pretty well behaved. Though a wee bit vengeful at times.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
One of my daughters is working as a professional bridesmaid, just till she passes a State Board for cosmetology. But, she makes pretty good bank at it.

I also have an old college friend in Spain who sexes piglets before they are born.

The guy who lives in my neighborhood is a taxidermist. I was most surprised that very little actual animal parts even go into those things. They are more plastic and papermache than actual parts.

One guy in my pipe club is a professional extra in movies. And, another one gives ghost tours in Birmingham.

I also had an old professor in college that was a ceramicists, who designed toilets of a few years, before going to work with a contractor who designed the ceramic formulas and tiles that were used on the Space Shuttles. He then went on to work making ceramic satellite dishes, before eventually coming back to teaching. He had, had the most interesting jobs I had ever heard of.
Don’t know if I’m close, but his name isn’t Dr. Kingery is it? The only science class I took in college and remember was a material science class. The professor Dr. Kingery, was into ceramics and made stuff for shuttle tiles etc... I know there’s probably a whole lot of people in that field, but I can’t recall where I heard it, but Kingery is/ was, I believe, an industry leader.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
At the last church I went to, we had the largest pipe organ in the midwest. So I told the pastor when he goes to pastor's conferences he should introduced himself as "Hi, I'm Dave. I have the biggest organ in the midwest!" He didn't think that was funny.
LOL! Did you go to 4th Presbyterian in Chicago? AFAIK that's the largest in the midwest. It's a landmark Aeolian-Skinner, the best of the classic American builders (They've been out of business since the 70s).

Of course, just like with other, ahem, "organs", size is only part of the story. Much more important is how you use what you've got (ba-dum ching). :LOL:

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I've often wondered about those super low frequencies..................
I guess we cant really HEAR them but FEEL them?
I'm not a musician or saint, but I'm just trying to learn something.....................
Scientists have done a number of studies into this, and it turns out that our ability to perceive super low frequencies is attributable to sensory perception in both the ears and in other areas of the body. Apparently we can't even really feel frequencies below the hearing threshold, however. I thought this study abstract was kind of interesting in explaining this: Hearing at low and infrasonic frequencies - PubMed - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15273023/

Status
Not open for further replies.