PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I did some modeling which lead to some light gigolo work. That was interesting. Kind of humorous at times too.
I think I've mentioned this before, but a guy i worked with at a pizza restaurant when i was a kid was a gigolo on the side. He was a very large Newfoundlander, he looked like Bubbles from the Trailer Park Boys only 6'6" tall, ginger, and hairy. He said that 95% of the time he never ended up doing anything remotely sexual, it was mostly middle aged women paying him quite well to just sit there and listen to them talk for a couple hours.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I met 2 different guys at my church. One traveled the world repairing stained glass windows. The other did the same repairing and restoring pipe organs.

The last 10 years of my career, I actually got paid to talk as many women into bed as I could. (I sold mattresses...)
I play those pipe organs that the guy was restoring, and people actually pay me to do it. Not sure if that's too unusual, as there's at least one other organist on this forum, although this is the first forum (and indeed, non-musical social scene) that I've been a part of that had another organist as a member.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
There are some carpenters who follow an old tradition and walk from town to town, working for a while in one place and then moving on.
Back in the day this was considered necessary in order to get a broad knowledge of the craft.
They are skilled at working on medieval buildings of which there are plenty all over Europe. They wear some ancient fashion with knickers and vests, lace shirts and wide brimmed hats. We call them navari and they're a strange bunch, but very good craftsmen.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Somewhere on my family tree I recall having a father & son who were artificial limb makers in Nottingham. They worked as a team and I suspect were kept very busy during and after the first world war which was around the time they were in business.

Regards,

Jay.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I play those pipe organs that the guy was restoring, and people actually pay me to do it. Not sure if that's too unusual, as there's at least one other organist on this forum, although this is the first forum (and indeed, non-musical social scene) that I've been a part of that had another organist as a member.
Ever played a tracker mechanism...

Reactions: musicman

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Ever played a tracker mechanism...
Yes, many many times. Generally, I prefer mechanical action, as I feel more in touch with the instrument. My previous position had a wonderful tracker that I still sorely miss playing. These days I principally play an electro-pneumatic though. There is exactly one nice tracker in Tucson, unfortunately. Not enough, in my opinion.

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Yes, many many times. Generally, I prefer mechanical action, as I feel more in touch with the instrument. My previous position had a wonderful tracker that I still sorely miss playing. These days I principally play an electro-pneumatic though. There is exactly one nice tracker in Tucson, unfortunately. Not enough, in my opinion.
Actually saw an old Rufatti (sp) in Spain with a tracker mechanism that ran 4 sets of pipes at each end of the cathedral. The first Presbyterian Church in Galveston has a tracker that was converted to electrical-mechanical and then back to tracker...

Ever play one with bombast pipes?

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Actually saw an old Rufatti (sp) in Spain with a tracker mechanism that ran 4 sets of pipes at each end of the cathedral. The first Presbyterian Church in Galveston has a tracker that was converted to electrical-mechanical and then back to tracker...

Ever play one with bombast pipes?
Ruffatti makes very fine instruments indeed.

As for bombast pipes, I'm not sure what you mean. There is something called a "Bombarde," which refers to a big, loud chorus reed that usually speaks at the 8' or 16' pitch. Some organs also have horizontal reed pipes, which we call "En Chamade." These pipes are usually the loudest reed stop on their respective instruments, and appear as horizontal pipes jutting out the front of the casework. My previous position had a wonderful Spanish Trumpet stop that was En Chamade. The pipes were about 10 ft directly above my head, and using ear plugs helped when using that stop!

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
How about embalmers to mortician offices,,,
We have a funeral home here in town....the funeral home portion is the lower level and the family lives upstairs.
How many locks would you have to put on THAT basement door? Imagine hearing a sound....any sound from down there at 2am...screw that! The fact that his wife signed off on that set up makes me more scared.

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Ruffatti makes very fine instruments indeed.

As for bombast pipes, I'm not sure what you mean. There is something called a "Bombarde," which refers to a big, loud chorus reed that usually speaks at the 8' or 16' pitch. Some organs also have horizontal reed pipes, which we call "En Chamade." These pipes are usually the loudest reed stop on their respective instruments, and appear as horizontal pipes jutting out the front of the casework. My previous position had a wonderful Spanish Trumpet stop that was En Chamade. The pipes were about 10 ft directly above my head, and using ear plugs helped when using that stop!

16, 32, 64, 128 foot pipes going down to 8 Hz...

• Wow

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
16, 32, 64, 128 foot pipes going down to 8 Hz...
Well, most organs have 16' pipes, which speak at 64 hz at low C. It's one of the standard sizes. Larger instruments will have 32' pipes, which speak at 32 hz (the organ I play at my current position has two electronic 32 foot stops). There are exactly two organs in the world with 64' pipes, which speak at 16 hz. One is the Boardwalk organ in Atlantic City and the other is in Australia in the Sydney Town Hall. While one could theoretically build a 128' pipe, it would be cost prohibitive and it's lower than the human ear is able to hear. Our ears will only go down to about 20 hz.

Reactions: jhowell

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Well, most organs have 16' pipes, which speak at 64 hz at low C. It's one of the standard sizes. Larger instruments will have 32' pipes, which speak at 32 hz (the organ I play at my current position has two electronic 32 foot stops). There are exactly two organs in the world with 64' pipes, which speak at 16 hz. One is the Boardwalk organ in Atlantic City and the other is in Australia in the Sydney Town Hall. While one could theoretically build a 128' pipe, it would be cost prohibitive and it's lower than the human ear is able to hear. Our ears will only go down to about 20 hz.
But you would sure feel it! The final cannon (actually was a mortar) shot on TELARC's direct to disk "1812 Overture" was 8 Hz... and there was only one phono cartridge that could track it (Audio-Technica (TM))

Status
Not open for further replies.