Am I Missing Something With This Peterson?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
As the title would suggest. I got a wonderful looking Peterson meer, it's apparently a 70s/80s p-lip.

I polished it up as the stem needed it. Had it a few weeks and only tried it twice but both times it just seems to sort of hit the roof of my mouth and sort of heat it up. I find myself trying to hold the pipe so the smoke goes around my mouth but that doesn't seem the point in having the p lip. Am I missing something?
Pic of said pipe
DSC_0395.JPG

Reactions: Lyle b and Casual
As the title would suggest. I got a wonderful looking Peterson meer, it's apparently a 70s/80s p-lip.

I polished it up as the stem needed it. Had it a few weeks and only tried it twice but both times it just seems to sort of hit the roof of my mouth and sort of heat it up. I find myself trying to hold the pipe so the smoke goes around my mouth but that doesn't seem the point in having the p lip. Am I missing something?
Pic of said pipe
View attachment 51599
Thats the whole point of a Peterson. They’re designed for people who are so tired of tongue bite and are willing to just destroy the rest of their mouth.
Sounds like it’s working just fine. puffy

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
PLip stems are designed to hit the roof of your mouth. If your mouth heats up you might be puffing too hard.

I have several PLip pipes and really like them. Some folks think they’re the scourge of humanity, right after Justin Beiber.

Gorgeous pipe!!
No, my mouth isn't getting hot, I can just feel it hitting the roof of my mouth, not sure I like it.
Thanks thou, it is a pretty thing.

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
In answer to your question, yes! The "p-lip", proper placed between the teeth, gently displaces the smoke to be fully tasted and enjoyed. Pay no, absolutely none, attention to the feeble minded who constantly disparage this wonderful innovation! rotf :sher:
I'll try it with an aromatic and an english with a healthy dose of latakia in it, if it's no good for me then, I'll be selling it. Not in to pipes I don't 100% love, same thou coz I do enjoy it, it's very comfy

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I'll try it with an aromatic and an english with a healthy dose of latakia in it, if it's no good for me then, I'll be selling it. Not in to pipes I don't 100% love, same thou coz I do enjoy it, it's very comfy
You could get a new stem made if you really like that bowl. A non-Turkish meer bowl like that isn’t so easy to come by these days.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
People have different mouths, different teeth. Cadences vary, so do tastes. I like the P-lip myself. I like changing up how the sip is dispersed in the mouth. I also clench and hang pipes a half dozen different ways; I like how easily the P-lip hangs easily by the incisors.

It could well be, though, that the P-lip simply doesn’t work for you. Nothing wrong with that. Experiences do vary, as do pursuits and expectations. Too bad, though ... that’s a nice looking pipe. Maybe you can get a fishtail stem made for it by Peterson.

Reactions: edger and brut666

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'll buy it if the price is decent! Let me know if you want to be rid of it... puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.