Am I Missing Something With This Peterson?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
I found that P-lip Petes are not for me either. I just don't understand how they make anything better. They are just too uncomfortable and sending smoke to the roof of my mouth and having to insert the pipe further into my mouth just doesn't make sense to me. There are better ways to stop tongue bite.
I don't get tongue bite, just the strange feeling of it hitting the roof of my mouth ?

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I don't get tongue bite, just the strange feeling of it hitting the roof of my mouth ?
Smoking a Peterson p-lip pipe right now and I think that you are clenching the p lip incorrectly. I put the bottom of the p lip resting on my bottom teeth, the top just behind my front teeth, and my tongue is pressed up on the underside of where the hole is.

Doing this, I don't see how it could be hitting the roof of your mouth. The smoke, yes, but not the stem.

SP has a nice video of how to smoke a p lip system pipe--it's well worth watching!.

I can tell that people have a "love or hate" relationship with p lips. I'm just suggesting that you make sure that you have the proper technique and then judge if they are right for you!

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'm a Pete fan and the vast majority of them are plip. I don't clench and don't find any noticeable difference in my smoking experience between them and fishtail.

Reactions: edger

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I'm a Pete fan and the vast majority of them are plip. I don't clench and don't find any noticeable difference in my smoking experience between them and fishtail.
I agree with you on this--if you have good technique (which I'm getting there!), then you should be able to produce dry, tasty smokes with either approach.

I don't "clench" my system pipes per se--it's more of a dangle for me, which I enjoy as I read, do work, etc.

Reactions: edger

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
Smoking a Peterson p-lip pipe right now and I think that you are clenching the p lip incorrectly. I put the bottom of the p lip resting on my bottom teeth, the top just behind my front teeth, and my tongue is pressed up on the underside of where the hole is.

Doing this, I don't see how it could be hitting the roof of your mouth. The smoke, yes, but not the stem.

SP has a nice video of how to smoke a p lip system pipe--it's well worth watching!.

I can tell that people have a "love or hate" relationship with p lips. I'm just suggesting that you make sure that you have the proper technique and then judge if they are right for you!
It's the smoke that hits my mouth, not the stem. I think it's just the feeling of the flow of smoke on my mouth. I'm gonna give it some goes and play around with it. Thanks for your input thou ?

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
I agree with you on this--if you have good technique (which I'm getting there!), then you should be able to produce dry, tasty smokes with either approach.

I don't "clench" my system pipes per se--it's more of a dangle for me, which I enjoy as I read, do work, etc.
It's not technique that's the issue. It's the feeling of the smoke hitting the roof of my mouth. I've had a few great suggestions that I'm gonna give a try ??

Reactions: hairvise

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one P-lip, a Peterson Killarney bent Rhodesian. I don't puff like crazy, so it doesn't burn my mouth, and I enjoy it when it comes around on the rotation, but I haven't bought another because I find that big P-lip button a little too bulky, slightly annoying. My dozen or so other Petersons are all fishtail stems and I've never had a complaint.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
If you can't get used to it, you can buy Peterson fishtail replacement stems fairly easily.

This one is out of stock but just as an example. I can't vouch for whether it will fit your stem, but it looks rather universal and comes in different sizes I think.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

brut666

Oct 7, 2020
If you can't get used to it, you can buy Peterson fishtail replacement stems fairly easily.

This one is out of stock but just as an example. I can't vouch for whether it will fit your stem, but it looks rather universal and comes in different sizes I think.
Thanks, I've just emailed sp-eu asking them. Thanks for taking the time to find and post ??

Status
Not open for further replies.