PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
When did Per write this article? He did start the Mac Baren HH line, which is advertised as having minimal casing and no top flavoring at all, in the late 2000s. So, he himself is competing against Mac Baren's aromatics.

For what it's worth, I quite like the Cube, which is to me a quintessential Danish aromatic, top shelf leaves and lots of fruity goop.

Per never wrote any articles. I said this is an interview. Here is the link: Per Georg Jensen Interview

So this was a meaningless tangent that had nothing to do with your overall point?

I think it was mentioned as an indicator that the overall quality of tobacco being produced was subpar. But, it didn't work out that way. Plus, any thread where we can talk about McClellands improves the quality of posts in said thread, ha ha.

I think Per is just bolstering his aromatic patrons, appealing to his "base." Good for him. It's more marketing than revealing anything significant about the industry. I think he is specifically talking to the Spanish... because he uses funny words that I don't understand. puffy

And, even more specifically, he is reacting to a Spanish pipe club question. Which is unusual... I would love to set in on a pipe club where they mostly smoke aromatics. I would love to know what they discuss.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
What part of "high-quality leaf" did you miss?
I gathered that you were saying the reason for the sky falling was that demand for low quality Danish tobacco was too high, and that this caused the demise of McClelland because there was a concurrent reduction in production of high quality leaf due to lower demand.

Are you saying McClelland's demise had something to do with Danish tobacco or not?

I'm just having trouble following your non-linear, disorganized argument.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
there is a feeling among pipe smokers who consider themselves experienced (although in reality many of them are not) that the aromatic varieties are low-quality tobaccos and have flavors and aromas

Hmmm, did Per just take a jab here at people who say that aromatics are "low quality" tobaccos?

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've always said that the real reason you don't see more aromatic smokers as active members is that beyond the initial "how do I smoke my pipe," they rarely ever have anything to contribute. Have you seen a thread about an aromatic tobacco?
"Tastes like vanilla"
"Yep"
There's not much more you can add to an aromatic discussion. They just never discuss nuances of flavor, nor do they ever post much about a breadth of different blends. My suspicion is that most aromatic smokers aren't tasting anything, as they smoke for a room note. Maybe not all (because chasingembers will post that he tastes everything), but most never really develop a sensitive palate because of the nature of aromatics.

Sure, sure, we do have some aromatic smokers here, but not many, and most don't hang with us for long. Not because we run them off, but because you just don't ever see them develop a conversation about aromatics that has any depth or breadth to them.

Sure sure, blame a simple joke for running people off... have you seen the way we slam each other over latakia or even perique? Maybe aromatic smokers just have a sense of inadequacy that makes them much more sensitive to any minute joke that may pass before them? Probably from not having the sense of taste non-aro smokers seem to have in tobacco threads?
seriously all that and every market is dominated by not epicureans. Whiskey, music, even art. Most people even if fancy about something are going to go in for some good but plainish and comforting, something that works. I love tea and look at what teas sell the most. Nothing special teas. Hell many of the best musicians have to have second jobs to eat and have a roof over their heads because they're not incredibly pop. Though I think the opposite of the original post that the middling smokers are the only thing proping up more flavorful and interesting tobacco strains and keeping a tin from costing 75 bucks or something like that.

seriously all that and every market is dominated by not epicureans. Whiskey, music, even art. Most people even if fancy about something are going to go in for some good but plainish and comforting, something that works. I love tea and look at what teas sell the most. Nothing special teas. Hell many of the best musicians have to have second jobs to eat and have a roof over their heads because they're not incredibly pop. Though I think the opposite of the original post that the middling smokers are the only thing proping up more flavorful and interesting tobacco strains and keeping a tin from costing 75 bucks or something like that.
Yep, I've read recently that MaxwellHouse is one of the largest buyers of coffee beans worldwide.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
the Danish threat is just as real

and that it is not about the hate but taste education

Why the hate towards different tastes and Danishes? Have you just never had a good one?

images

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
There have been threads re whether pipe smoking is under siege,and whether we should get busy with our cellaring, and the related actuarial tables. This thread reminds me of Armageddon novels and movies where people are fighting over the last two cartridges to hold back the zombies.
Calm down and take a deep retohale, and cellar your ass off.

I can tell you that the Capt. Monochromatic made in GA uses and exceptional mahogany burley. I've smoked it by itself, and it was the burley used in War Horse. What they are doing now...who knows? All kinds of crazy crap going on with our old brand names these days.
So, an aromatic tobacco maker uses that same variety of tobacco that you guys used on an aromatic tobacco? puffy
Just messin' I love mahogany burleys... Russ turned me on to it.

But, i am curious... when we use the term "quality" what the hell does that mean? My degree is in aesthetics, and the word has no meaning without clarification. If you guys think someone is rating tobaccos as A, B, C, D, based on how good it tastes and looks, that still doesn't mean anything.
Since all tobaccos are brought in under contract with a corporation that handles the planting, harvesting, and then takes it to their facilities to cure it... It all should pretty much be the same quality, after culling. If anyone thinks that something is being made by these guys that is all ratty looking and tastes like stale yard clippings, you're far off.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I gathered that you were saying the reason for the sky falling was that demand for low quality Danish tobacco was too high, and that this caused the demise of McClelland because there was a concurrent reduction in production of high quality leaf due to lower demand.

Are you saying McClelland's demise had something to do with Danish tobacco or not?

I'm just having trouble following your non-linear, disorganized argument.

Now you are making a different statement, but to answer your question I'd say the demand for low-quality leaf has an impact on producers who will try to satisfy that particular consumers' demand. I do not think there is a conspiracy behind Danish tobacco production to shut down artisan tobacco manufacturers, but no one can turn a blind eye to the knock-off effect. I worry about two things. 1. the overdominance of aromatic tobaccos and 2. non-aromatic smokers conforming with low-quality leaf.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
But, i am curious... when we use the term "quality" what the hell does that mean?
I work in quality control and quality is adherence to a standard. It is not an amorphous better.

If you designed a table, and wrote a procedure saying that it should have 4 eggs and that the legs should be 20" long +/- 1", and proceeded to make a table with legs 20.5", 20.2", 19.1", & 19.7" in length you would still have a quality table. It would be shitty, but it would still be quality.

Therefore, quality can just as easily mean absolutely nothing.

demand for low-quality leaf has an impact on producers
Once again, I would point out that the idea of "low quality" is probably not going to be what we think it is. If you look at cigar tobaccos, there is wrapper, binder, and filler, with filler sometimes being more tasty than wrapper. And, if we are talking about burley coming from the same manufacturer, doing the same cure on all of it... what is this low quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.