PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Yeah, I stepped in it once upon a time too. Never do that again!

So.....what do all of you think about wearing masks?
In this regard the problem with masks is that I can still run my mouth.
Don't let the water cult get to you Salt. Some nicotine might take the edge off.
Thank you, Brian. "The water cult" is well-stated, but given current status not something to share with others.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
An allied topic is microwaving tobacco. Wouldn't do that ever, either.

Microwave crew here. I microwave my tobacco every day.

I was reading reviews of one of Ken Byron’s blends (It was either Jupiter Slices or Byronic Slices), and some people were losing their minds over how the tobacco would never dry, and just criticizing it to the core. I was amused at how they had never thought of putting it in the microwave.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
So how, exactly, does one smoke a bowl of tobacco in a pipe without exposing wood to water? Pray tell.
I mean granted it makes sense but there's 'steam' technically everywhere - so an article of clothing that reads dry-clean only is too exposed to water just not saturated(unless in a rain pourdown sans umbrella) - I getcha but the amount of water content/weight in a smoke or two isn't much; maybe it is, you'd have to do it in a controlled situation

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I mean granted it makes sense but there's 'steam' technically everywhere - so an article of clothing that reads dry-clean only is too exposed to water just not saturated(unless in a rain pourdown sans umbrella) - I getcha but the amount of water content/weight in a smoke or two isn't much; maybe it is, you'd have to do it in a controlled situation
Keep in mind that steam is far more penetrating. A watch can be water resistant and steam will get through the bushings. The basic point is that exposing a pipe to a water cleanse isn't going to damage it. I understnad the reluctance. I waited a year before deciding to give it a try. But once I did I saw that it freshened up my pipes far more than an alcohol based cleaning.
For people who dedicate pipes to a single blend and season that pipe with that blend, this kind of cleaning holds no attraction. But if you're interested in neutralizing a pipe, this works pretty well.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Keep in mind that steam is far more penetrating. A watch can be water resistant and steam will get through the bushings. The basic point is that exposing a pipe to a water cleanse isn't going to damage it. I understnad the reluctance. I waited a year before deciding to give it a try. But once I did I saw that it freshened up my pipes far more than an alcohol based cleaning.
For people who dedicate pipes to a single blend and season that pipe with that blend, this kind of cleaning holds no attraction. But if you're interested in neutralizing a pipe, this works pretty well.
Full Discolsure - I already have on your recommendation and it was fine - I will continue to do so puffy ???

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’m keen to start trying this method. Quick question, would you begin using this cleaning method from the first smoke in a briar or would you wait until the briar has been broken in/seasoned first?

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I just tried the water flushing technique on one of my favorite Savinellis, and my experience was... meh. After 172 posts I figured that I’d give it a try, but was underwhelmed. My typical rolled up paper towel and a pipe cleaner has been getting the job done for years, and I don’t see how this was any better. Nonetheless, it’s an alternative method for cleaning that some prefer ?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I just tried the water flushing technique on one of my favorite Savinellis, and my experience was... meh. After 172 posts I figured that I’d give it a try, but was underwhelmed. My typical rolled up paper towel and a pipe cleaner has been getting the job done for years, and I don’t see how this was any better. Nonetheless, it’s an alternative method for cleaning that some prefer ?

The main difference is it gets more gunk out of the shank and stem. And retards the cake build up. It's won't suddenly make the pipe smoke significantly better. The main benefit for me has been virtually eliminating the need for periodic deep cleaning. And only occasional touch up reaming.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
The main difference is it gets more gunk out of the shank and stem. And retards the cake build up. It's won't suddenly make the pipe smoke significantly better. The main benefit for me has been virtually eliminating the need for periodic deep cleaning. And only occasional touch up reaming.
I suspected that the benefits would be long term, I'll keep doing it for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.