PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
Mine are always clean as hell. I have some very nice high end pipes, and they stay perfectly clean, no odors, no gunky build ups...

...but, if you're asking this forum not to lie, bah ha ha ha ha ha, NO one has ever gotten an imperfect Peterson. No one has ever gotten a Dunhill that smoked well. EVERYONE's tobacco magically transforms into nut-bursting Nirvana after a few years in the cellar, and corn cob pipes are the epitome of how a pipe should smoke. John, you missed the part about this forum when you signed up that said that you had to pick a lie and stick to it till your dying days.

Some people have a philosophy, and they will lie their ass up one side of a tree and back down the other to prevent anyone from pushing them off the wrong headed philosophy. You're just going to have to face it, some people just have no concept of truth verses fiction. These guys like to spend a lot of time commenting at the bottom of every article posted online by a news organization. puffy

So true. Some people will grab on to a myth and ride it to death. Some have absolutely nothing more to say about what they believe except, "I'm right and you're wrong" or "Lies" when you doubt their them without anything factual to add. It's human nature to try and not be wrong at all cost. You gotta wonder if they ever actually think anything through. I think it's the same people that are constantly saying, "I don't care what anyone thinks about me" when that's all they do. Care about what everyone thinks about them. I think ego has a lot to do with it too.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just a note: I completely stripped the wax/finish (I don’t really know which) on a 1968 Dunhill Tanshell after just one hot water flush. Be careful with certain pipes. I now flush with cold water.
Was this an estate pipe? Removing wax is hardly a problem but finish coming off is— and, well, it's not ever happened on any of my pipes, including 7-8 Dunhill.

Some folks simply run hot water at a drizzle, so it never touches the exterior.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Was this an estate pipe? Removing wax is hardly a problem but finish coming off is— and, well, it's not ever happened on any of my pipes, including 7-8 Dunhill.

Some folks simply run hot water at a drizzle, so it never touches the exterior.

If the finish came off with hot water, how would it serviced bring smoked? Makes no sense.

RodneyPierce

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2020
Marion, IA
So I must admit, I havent been back to smoking for long (a couple of weeks) but since seeing this thread, have been using the water flush technique and I really do think it works a treat. I do it literally within minutes of finishing a bowl, and my pipes smell better than they did prior to using this technique! It truly does rinse a lot of gunk from the pipe. I do tend to run a cleaner down the pipe quick to absorb the water, but its usually fairly clean after a rinse.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I guess if you are not cleaning your pipes properly after every smoke you will build up enough crap that hot water will remove some dirt. But that is not all the dirt there.

Friction is the key, without friction you have nothing but dribbling water that is ruining some nice cake. My pipes never get dirty enough to have to try drowning the filth out of my pipes. After each smoke they are cleaned so well, anything after that would be a waste of time. You guys seen the shortages on BJ Long Tapered and Bristled pipe cleaners throughout the universe? That is me, I am cornering the market as I believe BJ Long is in trouble and I will never be denied my favorite pipe cleaners.

All you water boys will be chasing for BJ's one day as you come to realize your water system is killing your pipes. You will forever rue the day when you decided to become a water boy. Admit it, you have one hand holding the pipe underwater and the other fondling yourselves. I will be laughing at you in a few years as my hoard of pipe cleaners fills 3 18 wheelers full of them. I will be the pipe cleaner king and you will bow to my greatness.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I guess if you are not cleaning your pipes properly after every smoke you will build up enough crap that hot water will remove some dirt. But that is not all the dirt there.

Friction is the key, without friction you have nothing but dribbling water that is ruining some nice cake. My pipes never get dirty enough to have to try drowning the filth out of my pipes. After each smoke they are cleaned so well, anything after that would be a waste of time. You guys seen the shortages on BJ Long Tapered and Bristled pipe cleaners throughout the universe? That is me, I am cornering the market as I believe BJ Long is in trouble and I will never be denied my favorite pipe cleaners.

All you water boys will be chasing for BJ's one day as you come to realize your water system is killing your pipes. You will forever rue the day when you decided to become a water boy. Admit it, you have one hand holding the pipe underwater and the other fondling yourselves. I will be laughing at you in a few years as my hoard of pipe cleaners fills 3 18 wheelers full of them. I will be the pipe cleaner king and you will bow to my greatness.
:ROFLMAO:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Harris, just because you're too lazy to walk to the sink after each smoke to flush your pipe doesn't mean it's not a valid cleaning method. I've watched you with your half a dozen pipe cleaner method meticulously try to rub the gunk out of your pipe. Makes me want to rip my eyeballs out.

alwayslit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2018
DC/Tampa
I use the cold water method on my pipes after every smoke with no issues. I usually let my pipes cool before I clean them. I've never used water immediately after I'm done smoking. I'll go a step further and clean the stem with a pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol and then use the cleaner end of the pipe cleaner (non-alcohol end) to clean the pipe. I still wind up with getting more gunk out with this extra step.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Harris, just because you're too lazy to walk to the sink after each smoke to flush your pipe doesn't mean it's not a valid cleaning method. I've watched you with your half a dozen pipe cleaner method meticulously try to rub the gunk out of your pipe. Makes me want to rip my eyeballs out.
Mark, I like being meticulous when it comes to cleaning my pipes. It is the only thing I am anal about and yes I am way too fucking lazy to stand at the sink and wait around for water that smells like shit to clean my pipes. I also have already filled my 18 wheelers so I really need to use my pipe cleaners.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.