PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'll start with saying I do really like this blend though it's far from a favorite. Then I'am going to say what I think about Bud. Budweiser is a perfectly fine beer though there is zero interesting about it. It taste like beer in the most generic and inoffensive way imaginable. While it's not bad I won't buy it unless I want beer and there are no other options or it's the only reasonably priced beer at a bar. That's almost precisely how I feel about Sail Yellow. It tastes like pipe tobacco and there is zero offensive about it but at the same time nothing particularly interesting either. It's inoffensively sweet and taste like tobacco with every rough edge as well as interesting nuance polished out. For me that makes it a good pack it smoke it and forget it. It's a great blend for when I want to split my attention. For example I am not going to write and smoke one of my favorite blends, because it would divide my attention. Now something like Sail I can smoke and play a video game or do yard work and still enjoy it but not have to worry about what I'am missing either way. At the end of the day it's not bad or particularly good but it's inoffensively generic and while not interesting it's good in the same way Budweiser is. It's not a rebuy when compared to all the other more interesting blends I'd rather smoke that I can buy for about the same price. Though I think I'll keep the pouch for those special occasions when pipe smoking isn't the thing I'am doing but just a component.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I smoked a lot of Sail Yellow, ages ago. When I picked up the pipe again, after a few years on just cigars, I visited a lot of the old blends I had smoked, and found that I liked Sail Ivory (now discontinued) better. When I was younger it was the other way around.
Sail is like Carter Hall - an all day, don't have to pay lots of attention to it, sort of smoke.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Sail Yellow is on my list of Pouch blends to try. Recently picked up a 1oz sample of Match Sail Green and have been smoking on the past few days, this one is also kind of mild and perhaps a tad boring but not bad tasting in any manner. Curious to see how the real deal compare to the Match versions which can be hit or miss from reviews

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Pretty good stuff,all year around type of blend, these types of uncomplicated easy burning tobaccies are my very favorite while at working shift,seems like that the Netherlanders were master creating good soft VaBur blends
that pretty much hits the head of the nail. It's really nothing special but it requires no attention at all and is still very enjoyable. Great for work or certain situations where ones attention isn't primarily on the pipe but something else.

Reactions: samuelgawith01

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Yeah, sinceAmericans have re-discovered craft beers and ales, Bud pretty much sucks!
and yet there really is nothing wrong with it otherwise then there are other beers that are far more interesting. If it was the only beer people would still drink it. Sail Yellow I could smoke all day but I don't because something like Dark Twist is more interesting. Though to be honest I pretty much consider beer to be not whiskey and hence vastly inferior, I rarely have more then one and only because it's kind of interesting. Whiskey I can easily drink half a bottle in a sitting (which might also be why I don't drink often).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Budweiser is a subject in itself. My wife is from Missouri, far from St. Louis, but has often gone home through there, where Bud has its flagship brewery. She points out, and she's a food writer and restaurant reviewer by the way, that Bud should only be bought in glass bottles; that the water used in the St. Louis brewery is significantly better tasting than from elsewhere (in the beer, no comment on purity); and that under no circumstances should anyone drink any Lite beer of any kind. Just drink less if you choose. My favorite beer, a Chicago brew, now long discontinued, is the old Peter Hand brewery product Meister Brau which used hops better than any artisan beer I've ever tried. So I'm supposing that Yellow Sail may be canned Bud Lite not made in St. Louis. Hmmm.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Briar Fox does for me what Sail Yellow does for you. I always have some handy, it's easy to pack and smoke, and I can enjoy it without giving it a thought.
there are several blends like that. With Briar Fox which I am going to buy in bulk cause I know at worse it will be enjoyable I get the impression it's one of those you can just pack and smoke or sit down and pick apart the little nuances. There are a few blends like that.

Reactions: --dante--

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
there are several blends like that. With Briar Fox which I am going to buy in bulk cause I know at worse it will be enjoyable I get the impression it's one of those you can just pack and smoke or sit down and pick apart the little nuances. There are a few blends like that.
I like the big 1 pound cake you can buy it in -- a couple strategic slices and you can jam almost almost all of it in a single mason jar. What are the other blends you are referring to? Pegasus was one I considered to have similar qualities, but in an effort to make my cellar deeper rather than wider, I went with Briar Fox.

meoget

Lurker
Jan 25, 2021
I remember having to work in British Columbia for 6 months, and I couldn't take enough tobacco through customs. Well, I had to buy local, and Sail was all that was available. The yellow was my favorite, but it was still almost $30 a pouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.