PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I'll start with saying I do really like this blend though it's far from a favorite. Then I'am going to say what I think about Bud. Budweiser is a perfectly fine beer though there is zero interesting about it. It taste like beer in the most generic and inoffensive way imaginable. While it's not bad I won't buy it unless I want beer and there are no other options or it's the only reasonably priced beer at a bar. That's almost precisely how I feel about Sail Yellow. It tastes like pipe tobacco and there is zero offensive about it but at the same time nothing particularly interesting either. It's inoffensively sweet and taste like tobacco with every rough edge as well as interesting nuance polished out. For me that makes it a good pack it smoke it and forget it. It's a great blend for when I want to split my attention. For example I am not going to write and smoke one of my favorite blends, because it would divide my attention. Now something like Sail I can smoke and play a video game or do yard work and still enjoy it but not have to worry about what I'am missing either way. At the end of the day it's not bad or particularly good but it's inoffensively generic and while not interesting it's good in the same way Budweiser is. It's not a rebuy when compared to all the other more interesting blends I'd rather smoke that I can buy for about the same price. Though I think I'll keep the pouch for those special occasions when pipe smoking isn't the thing I'am doing but just a component.
Quite sensible.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My recollection of Sail from the 70s would be more comparable to Katz beer (for you old-timers like me) or some other type of swill that you drank in college because it was the cheapest.
Who knows. The way blends change over time I might totally agree with you. All I know is what I have smoked recently and it's certainly not swill. Somewhat on the not too complex side but not bad. For people my age I'd say your comparison would be Natural Ice which is swill that you drink because you're poor or lost your tongue.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Who knows. The way blends change over time I might totally agree with you. All I know is what I have smoked recently and it's certainly not swill. Somewhat on the not too complex side but not bad. For people my age I'd say your comparison would be Natural Ice which is swill that you drink because you're poor or lost your tongue.
I might have to give the more recent incarnation a try. Years ago, when there were many OTCs, it had interesting marketing but, did not measure up to any of the SWR, CH, PA, BR, or CBs available. It was probably better than Half and Half ?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Who even makes Sail now? When it was Royal Theodorus Neimeyer, that was actually tremendous tobacco, a little spicy (Dutch Cavendish proper) and well balanced, notes of anise. I haven't had it in DONKS.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I can't remember ever seeing Sail Yellow on the shelves and I started smoking a pipe in 1967. Being curious, I bought a pouch from P&C. I love this blend. It's so easy to smoke and the taste is right up my alley, being an OTC kinda guy. To be honest, if I had found this blend back in the 60's, it would be the only blend I'd be smoking today. Looks like I'll be ordering several more pouches and it may even give my beloved Pegasus a run for its money.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I can't remember ever seeing Sail Yellow on the shelves and I started smoking a pipe in 1967. Being curious, I bought a pouch from P&C. I love this blend. It's so easy to smoke and the taste is right up my alley, being an OTC kinda guy. To be honest, if I had found this blend back in the 60's, it would be the only blend I'd be smoking today. Looks like I'll be ordering several more pouches and it may even give my beloved Pegasus a run for its money.
yeah it's pretty good stuff. Kind of amazing how few rough edges it has. Mellow but perfect that way.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I can't remember ever seeing Sail Yellow on the shelves and I started smoking a pipe in 1967.
It must have had something to do with location. I had no trouble procuring Sail in the East Lansing drug store where I bought most of my tobacco when I started smoking a pipe in 1968. Sail, Amphora, Troost - all there, along with all the American classics. I recall getting it at a Meijer Thrifty Acres, as well.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
It must have had something to do with location. I had no trouble procuring Sail in the East Lansing drug store where I bought most of my tobacco when I started smoking a pipe in 1968. Sail, Amphora, Troost - all there, along with all the American classics. I recall getting it at a Meijer Thrifty Acres, as well.
I also found it interesting when traveling how regional certain tobaccos where. And sometimes like by county or even township.

Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Sail is in my opinion, better than Budweiser in a can. San Miguel Lite is OK if you want a light bodied lager.However those "Pounder" 16oz glass bottles from 1983 were damn good.
never had it. I have to say as I smoke through my stash I find that I like Sail more then I did when I first tried it. And it's definitely better the Bud. Which is to say I wouldn't complain about Bud but I'd never pick it out for myself.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
This thread got me to order a pouch of each. I'm halfway through the yellow, and I have to say...
It's better than I remember! I've smoked half the pouch in three different pipes: bulldog and Dublin bowls on a Falcon stem, and a MM filtered Diplomat. Picked up different notes in each, but the cob was the clear winner. Sail is really good!

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
This thread got me to order a pouch of each. I'm halfway through the yellow, and I have to say...
It's better than I remember! I've smoked half the pouch in three different pipes: bulldog and Dublin bowls on a Falcon stem, and a MM filtered Diplomat. Picked up different notes in each, but the cob was the clear winner. Sail is really good!
yeah it is. It's not my favorite but I am sad that my pouch is pretty much done. I'll put it this way I like smoking it once or twice a week on average sometimes more rarely less. It reminds me of sugar cookies. Really good but in a semi plain way.

Reactions: indoeuro
Status
Not open for further replies.