SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sep 16, 2020
I’m looking for a Savinelli straight billiard that will smoke for up to an hour or slightly longer (budget is $100 or less). But I don’t want it to be HUGE since most of my smoking is done while reading or studying and so I clench. I’ve only been smoking from a bent billiard basket pipe for a couple months now and I usually smoke VaPers. My cadence is a bit faster than most but it’s slow enough to spare my tongue bite so far! Is the Sav 106 too small for an hour+ smoke? Is 111 too big to comfortably clench without looking awakes and huge on my face?! I’m sticking with Savinelli due to their trusted consistency and price point.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It also depends on the tobacco cut, you know?

Why not measure your current pipe and go from there? Use the pipe selector at SPC to find a Savinelli within your preferred parameters.
completely right. Wide cuts and flakes can easily last a long time. Also size means less then weight for clenching, also balance. My canadian is a good clencher. Falcons are light even if you find one of those chimney bowls.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I highly recommend the Unfinished Series III line. I bought one as my first briar and I still smoke it every day. You can get them on the cheap from site sponsor Bollito Pipe. If you go that route, you might as well get more than one to maximize your value with the shipping charges. You can also find domestic (USA) retailers that carry them if you search on google, but the pipes themselves will cost more. Still a bargain, regardless.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I have a Sav 111 and a Rossi 111 (can't remember the model number, 6111 maybe?) that I clench regularly. Much of this depends on your jaw shape, rather than the weight of the pipe itself.

I would suggest that you check into the 311 poker shapes. I have one of these on my desk for exactly this purpose--it's light, decently sized bowl, and it's nice to be able to set it down whenever I want.

Reactions: danimalia