PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yep, mid sixties is considered Methuselah age in my family.
you're just old fashioned like that. Though I assume you're one of those freaks that's got decades left to make doctors scratch their heads and tell you you should have been gone a long time ago and most people need those particular organs functioning to survive. Honestly where I'd place my money on that bet.

• Haha
Reactions: danimalia

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
you're just old fashioned like that. Though I assume you're one of those freaks that's got decades left to make doctors scratch their heads and tell you you should have been gone a long time ago and most people need those particular organs functioning to survive. Honestly where I'd place my money on that bet.
If I were the betting type, I would say I will be checking out between 57 and 61.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
104 or 106 should be fine for your needs and are great pipes. 106 is my absolute favourite shape and I own 8 of them.

I'd say they smoke equally long and it comes down to your optical preference. Pick the 104 if you want the more classic Billard look with the slightly taller bowl. 106 if you prefer a well-proportioned pipe that doesn't attract much attention - the bowl is lower but slightly wider, which I prefer for English mixtures. ;)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I hope I dont go much past that. Too many years for me.
I agree, I’m not one to want to live long, I just want great quality of life while I’m here (wishful thinking). But everyone seems so concerned about extending their lives... most end up in a nursing home all alone for some of those extended years, paying someone to change their diapers. I’m all for assisted suicide if it gets to that point. I think 60 to 65 years is a good long life, by that time, I’ll be ready to see what the afterlife is all about.in all fairness, I’ll probably be singing a different tune when I reach my 60’s. It’s amazing to think that’s only 20 years from now!

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
Okay, you'll call me crazy for this post and I am definitely over-thinking my pipe purchases but here goes:

I have a method that I use in order to estimate smoking duration when purchasing pipes on the internet.
Take a pipe that you already have smoked and either measure it or search for its chamber dimensions online.

Now let's say the chamber of your pipe is 1.23 inches deep and 0.86 inches wide.
You know that this pipe smokes around 30 minutes with your usual tobacco, packing method and cadence.

First I calculate the volume of the old pipe's chamber.
My trusty pipe has a volume of 0.7 cubic inches, so that equals 30 minutes of smoking pleasure for me.

Now, I saw this fancy new pipe on the internet and am considering pulling the trigger.
The new pipe's chamber is 1.71 inches deep and 0.98 inches wide - results in a volume of 1.2 cubic inches.

What does that tell me?
0.7 cubic inches equals 30 minutes for me, so 1.2 cubic inches will get me around 50 minutes of smoking.

This sounds super complicated, but it actually is just a matter of slamming the depth (length) and diameter of the chamber into a website and comparing the new pipe's chamber volume to the chamber volume of a pipe with a known smoking duration. I am not sure if this is mathematically correct whatsoever, but it works for me and helps me immensely buying pipes for certain time-limited occasions.

Obviously, this only works for you personally. Someone else might pack their tobacco differently, smoke slower/faster and therefore get an entirely different duration out of the same volume. Hence when asking such questions on the internet, you'll usually get the answer that it's impossible to tell from someone else's perspective. You'll also have to take into consideration that different forms of tobacco will smoke differently and there will also be small differences in your packing from one day to another, so take this with a grain of salt. But it will help you get a basic idea of how long this new pipe might smoke for you. puffy

In order to calculate the volume you can use this website (length = chamber depth, diameter = chamber diameter):
Length & Diameter to Volume Calculator - https://www.sensorsone.com/length-and-diameter-to-volume-calculator/

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Okay, you'll call me crazy for this post and I am definitely over-thinking my pipe purchases but here goes:

I have a method that I use in order to estimate smoking duration when purchasing pipes on the internet.
Take a pipe that you already have smoked and either measure it or search for its chamber dimensions online.

Now let's say the chamber of your pipe is 1.23 inches deep and 0.86 inches wide.
You know that this pipe smokes around 30 minutes with your usual tobacco, packing method and cadence. ?

First I calculate the volume of the old pipe's chamber.
My trusty pipe has a volume of 0.7 cubic inches, so that equals 30 minutes of smoking pleasure for me.

Now, I saw this fancy new pipe on the internet and am considering pulling the trigger.
The new pipe's chamber is 1.71 inches deep and 0.98 inches wide - results in a volume of 1.2 cubic inches.

What does that tell me?
0.7 cubic inches equals 30 minutes for me, so 1.2 cubic inches will get me around 50 minutes of smoking.

This sounds super complicated, but it actually is just a matter of slamming the depth (length) and diameter of the chamber into a website and comparing the new pipe's chamber volume to the chamber volume of a pipe with a known smoking duration. I am not sure if this is mathematically correct whatsoever, but it works for me and helps me immensely buying pipes for certain time-limited occasions.

Obviously, this only works for you personally. Someone else might pack their tobacco differently, smoke slower/faster and therefore get an entirely different duration out of the same volume. Hence when asking such questions on the internet, you'll usually get the answer that it's impossible to tell from someone else's perspective. You'll also have to take into consideration that different forms of tobacco will smoke differently and there will also be small differences in your packing from one day to another, so take this with a grain of salt. But it will help you get a basic idea of how long this new pipe might smoke for you. puffy

In order to calculate the volume you can use this website (length = chamber depth, diameter = chamber diameter):
Length & Diameter to Volume Calculator - https://www.sensorsone.com/length-and-diameter-to-volume-calculator/
Informative post ?

Reactions: danimalia