Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Never done that. Although I do have two cobs (I think) where I decided to cut that little protruding section of shank out of the chamber. It’s unnecessary, and I wish I hadn’t done it. My others leave no dottle, but those that I cut always leave a small amount. They could probably use a little pipe mud in the very bottom of the chamber just to get the bottom level with the draft hole. Other than that, I haven’t seen a need for mud really, but hey, maybe I’m missing out on something. ?‍♂️
People mud them to maintain that same airflow/shape. They mud on both sides of the shank. It's not necessary, though. It'll get the same way naturally, Sometimes I just put a drop of honey water on each side of the shank to accelerate things. Again, not necessary.

Only thing necessary for a cob is to load it with expendable tobacco the first time. Smoke it hot, in the wind, blow down the bowl as if giving a "shotgun"... burn the residual varnish. Second bowl is greatly improved and things get real good after 5-6.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Few seem to agree but I find the old dominion cobs vastly superior to the M.M. cobs. In fact I've got a few cause they're cheap and never encountered one that had any issues ever. Where as the M.M. need some breaking in and the like and frankly the draw is too open on them if you ask me. Again super important to note this is a minority opinion it seems however it's certainly worth considering. And yeah they clench easily once you get the knack for it.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Few seem to agree but I find the old dominion cobs vastly superior to the M.M. cobs. In fact I've got a few cause they're cheap and never encountered one that had any issues ever. Where as the M.M. need some breaking in and the like and frankly the draw is too open on them if you ask me. Again super important to note this is a minority opinion it seems however it's certainly worth considering. And yeah they clench easily once you get the knack for it.
Haven’t tried one yet, but I will.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
I have a few cobs that I still smoke that are 10 years old.

Smoke a few bowls of an easy going Burley like Sir Walter Raleigh or Carter Hall and they should start coming around.

Once you have smoked enough bowls to char the shank that extends into the bowl it should be a much better smoke. Some people remove that part and mud the pipes but I can not be bothered putting in that effort. The most I do with a cob is switch out the regular stems with the Danish bits because they are more comfortable and durable. I can't bring myself to getting an acrylic bit, I'd rather spend that money on tobacco or beer.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Thanks for the advice. I will scrape the inside of the bowl with a pocket knife, or maybe drill it out, and keep smoking until I get them broke in. It would especially be nice to have some good smoking cobs to take fishing and camping. As for what tobacco I smoke it is predominantly latakia heavy English blends, I might pick up a burly blend and give it a try.

There is one (well, two) Latakia blends that I really like in a cob: Hearth and Home Chestnut and Sutliff Walnut match. They are both matches for the no longer produced Walnut by Middleton. They are basically burley blends with some light topping and a pinch of Latakia. Good stuff.

I hear what you’re saying on cobs for the outdoors. My usual fishing etc kit will include two cobs and my tobacco pouch full of some burley blend. However, if you want to take some Latakia heavy English, you might want to check out Tim West’s eBay store. He’s a respected pipe maker, and he refurbishes and sells cheap briar basket pipes. I’ve got two I bought for about $10 a piece. They’re great for the purposes you describe - a knocksround outdoors pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have no objection to smoking lat blends out of cobs in theory. Just don’t like it much in practice. The way cobs tend to enhance burley blends for whatever reason, they seem to do the opposite to Latakia blends. Of course we all have our own preferences, so mileage may vary.
One blend tastes the same in any non ghosted pipe I put it in, so no issue with that. It's just fun to clench a massive feather light pipe.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
+1 for the shank extensions. They are fresh wood, and they char up and you’re basically smoking wood until they carbonize and get covered with a little bit of ash. It doesn’t take long for that to happen, so just keep smoking

Reactions: kurtbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Personally I find latakia hit or miss in a cob. It certainly changes something about it. Lots of blends it's fine with, but some taste somewhat flat in a cob. Actually I find cobs kind of subdue certain flavors. Nothing dramatic, but enough to skip smoking those ones in a cob instead of a briar.

Reactions: lawdawg