PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Big Bear

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
I bought a couple of corncob pipes from Missouri meerschaum, and I can’t get much flavor at all out of the best smoking of the two and I get a nasty flavor out of the other. When I smoke the same blends out of my briars or my clay it is delicious and I enjoy it greatly. I have heard others rave over corncobs and Missouri meerschaums in particular. Am I doing something wrong or is it the pipes?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I bought a couple of corncob pipes from Missouri meerschaum, and I can’t get much flavor at all out of the best smoking of the two and I get a nasty flavor out of the other. When I smoke the same blends out of my briars or my clay it is delicious and I enjoy it greatly. I have heard others rave over corncobs and Missouri meerschaums in particular. Am I doing something wrong or is it the pipes?
lots of times there is varnish in the chamber that needs to be scraped, sanded, or smoked out.

I often take a torch lighter and "presmoke" the chambers.. burns it all out.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I recommend pipe mudding the chambers.
Never done that. Although I do have two cobs (I think) where I decided to cut that little protruding section of shank out of the chamber. It’s unnecessary, and I wish I hadn’t done it. My others leave no dottle, but those that I cut always leave a small amount. They could probably use a little pipe mud in the very bottom of the chamber just to get the bottom level with the draft hole. Other than that, I haven’t seen a need for mud really, but hey, maybe I’m missing out on something. ?‍♂️

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Never done that. Although I do have two cobs (I think) where I decided to cut that little protruding section of shank out of the chamber. It’s unnecessary, and I wish I hadn’t done it. My others leave no dottle, but those that I cut always leave a small amount. They could probably use a little pipe mud in the very bottom of the chamber just to get the bottom level with the draft hole. Other than that, I haven’t seen a need for mud really, but hey, maybe I’m missing out on something. ?‍♂️
Cut the shank and mud. I have never had any problems and they smoke cool. I have done this with all of my cobs (14+) and some have gone through/are going through additional mods.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
O8QVZe0.jpg
See that rack loaded with MM Cobs? They are kinda good smoker. Some are 40 years old...

Big Bear

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Thanks for the advice. I will scrape the inside of the bowl with a pocket knife, or maybe drill it out, and keep smoking until I get them broke in. It would especially be nice to have some good smoking cobs to take fishing and camping. As for what tobacco I smoke it is predominantly latakia heavy English blends, I might pick up a burly blend and give it a try.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Thanks for the advice. I will scrape the inside of the bowl with a pocket knife, or maybe drill it out, and keep smoking until I get them broke in. It would especially be nice to have some good smoking cobs to take fishing and camping. As for what tobacco I smoke it is predominantly latakia heavy English blends, I might pick up a burly blend and give it a try.
Burley in a cob is a pretty good combo. ?