New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I had no idea you had that many Rad'a Mark, damn you added them quick. I feel honored you laid off the one I got. One day I want to see all the pics. Maybe we can trade them like baseball cards. lol. I only have 2 Aldens, I would buy more if I could find one I like, been slim picking lately. I will buy another Scottie when I see the right one. She needs to lay off the pencil shanks and make some real pipes like the Billiard I have. She made this one so perfect as it takes a flake of F&T CVP or Vintage or SPecial Brown Flakes like they were meant to be, a quick fold and stuff and the top is perfect it isn't to tight one good light and your off to the races. Actually once you get to 15 Rads, you need t let me get to 25 as I only need three more. I figured that would be nice number to quit at.

Harris, I am satisfied with the Rads I have already acquired. I will consider additions when I see ones I really like such as my recent acquisition. I'm sure over time, I'll add at least a few others. And if you give me a heads up, I would avoid entering into a bidding war with you over the same pipe. Now to be clear, if I am already looking at and have bid on a Rad I really, really want and you decide you want it as well, may the best man win so to speak. LOL Seriously though, you're a good friend and I struggle to imagine a scenario where we end up knowingly deplete one another's wallet over a stupid pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mark, as far as I am concerned we own the Rads and the rest of the folks can grab other makers. I haven't seen anything special since the last one I bought.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The comment was made in the original post that Scottie should put down some of her pencil shanks, and I totally agree. The flow of her full-bents is as graceful as any Dunhill/White Spot that I've ever seen. Cruising the latter was what put me wise to the grace that could be achieved by a precise curve of shank and stem. But her prices are reasonable as opposed to Dunhill's price obscenities.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
That's quite a collection! Though I will admit to envy of no one, I find myself thinking green.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If I might chime in...

Jack is not a self-promoter, which might give some of you new guys the impression he's new at pipe making. Not so.

Further, besides creating excellent modern shapes, he excels at what you DON'T see. The methods of construction he uses are well thought out, and his execution is rock solid.

He's what we call a "tool sense" guy. (think Peter Parker's spidey sense with regard to problem solving in the shop---how to approach problems, what to reach for, how to follow through, and above all why.)

Bottom line? Quality through and through. No delaminations, separations, stuck or cracked this or that down the road with his stuff. If you like the looks of a piece you can buy it with confidence.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My first pipe from Jack Howell. Certainly not the last. I managed to get lucky and grab this one the second he posted it. 3 days later, in my hands. Great Customer Service!

As usual with great carvers, real life exceeds their photos. The fit and finish was near perfect. Very light for the size of the pipe. The Horn accent piece really compliments the pipe perfectly. Passes a pipe cleaner even more effortlessly than does a Rad or Rubio. Love the stem, this pipe was made to clinch.

D5C742B6-5ADB-4220-A4A2-5477667A5B4A.jpeg

DE2EF5FE-81EC-4F17-A223-69B86DEA7949.jpeg

6A338632-3E08-44F3-9017-B3EBAE6C034D.jpeg

B423D667-562E-45A4-B803-04AEEC770BFB.jpeg

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
If I might chime in...

Jack is not a self-promoter, which might give some of you new guys the impression he's new at pipe making. Not so.

Further, besides creating excellent modern shapes, he excels at what you DON'T see. The methods of construction he uses are well thought out, and his execution is rock solid.

He's what we call a "tool sense" guy. (think Peter Parker's spidey sense with regard to problem solving in the shop---how to approach problems, what to reach for, how to follow through, and above all why.)

Bottom line? Quality through and through. No delaminations, separations, stuck or cracked this or that down the road with his stuff. If you like the looks of a piece you can buy it with confidence.
Know your standards are high George @georged especially after working on two of my Rads. Cannot wait to receive my commissions from Jack.

Jack @howellhandmade has been very meticulous and thoughtful throughout the process. Very excited to see him back in action.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
My first pipe from Jack Howell. Certainly not the last. I managed to get lucky and grab this one the second he posted it. 3 days later, in my hands. Great Customer Service!

As usual with great carvers, real life exceeds their photos. The fit and finish was near perfect. Very light for the size of the pipe. The Horn accent piece really compliments the pipe perfectly. Passes a pipe cleaner even more effortlessly than does a Rad or Rubio. Love the stem, this pipe was made to clinch.

View attachment 38046

View attachment 38047

View attachment 38048

View attachment 38049
Really go to love that blast. Lighter colored briar with a sandblast is far underrated in my opinion.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
In my "collection" is a wonderfully sandblasted Matt Roussell pipe, yet unsmoked.
It is outstandingly handsome and the make is perfect.
There's not much to be found about him and his pipe grading remains a total mystery to me.
Any educated guesses ?

mtbriar

Lurker
May 30, 2019
I'll add Kerry Wathen. He passed away long ago but made some extraordinary pipes while he was active. I purchased several from David's Briar Shop in Des Moines, Iowa between 1977 and 1980. They come up in estate sales from time-to-time. Here's a good example of one of his "Reflection" pipes.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 12