Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
These forums have seen substantial growth over the last year or so. The larger a group gets, the more unwieldy it can become.

In order to help us moderate, and to provide a disincentive to misbehave, we now have a Warning Points System.

When a rule is broken, or somebody is just being a jerk (for which we probably have to make a new rule), a moderator at their discretion, can assign a warning point. They may also decide to give a warning without a point. They can also decide to give more than one point. The default, however, is one point.

A warning point will not expire until a full year has past.

Automated Warning Actions

It should be difficult to acquire 6 points in a year.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No one likes rules. Me either. But congratulations on the high level of traffic that makes the rules necessary. Maybe it is just my optimistic delusional thinking, but it seems like the Forums is about as civilized as it has been since I've been a member, since 2013 I think. Keep up the good work guys. No points are the point.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
When a rule is broken, or somebody is just being a jerk (for which we probably have to make a new rule), a moderator at their discretion, can assign a warning point. They may also decide to give a warning without a point. They can also decide to give more than one point. The default, however, is one point.
The discretionary aspect of assignation of points is interesting.
In theory a system like this would end the need for "locking" a thread, if applied to that end.
Personally I have "ignored" a few members whose responses to other users I consider to have sunk below the threshold of gentlemanliness with unnecessarily rude comments. It will be interesting to see what types of behavior qualify, at the discretion of a moderator, for a point.

Will points be awarded publicly like gold stars? Will the points tally be visible, for example, under a user's avatar? Enquiring minds...

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Will the warning points be viewable, public wise on their profile?

Asking for a friend.

They are only visible to mods.

In the Xenforo (name of the forum platform we use) Forums, in a recent discussion about this, it was stated:

Arguably they shouldn't. They should be focussing on changing the behaviour that led to the warning(s), not seeing how close they can come without going over. That would lead to gaming the system, which would lead to more behaviour problems, not less.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The discretionary aspect of assignation of points is interesting.
In theory a system like this would end the need for "locking" a thread, if applied to that end.
Personally I have "ignored" a few members whose responses to other users I consider to have sunk below the threshold of gentlemanliness with unnecessarily rude comments. It will be interesting to see what types of behavior qualify, at the discretion of a moderator, for a point.

Will points be awarded publicly like gold stars? Will the points tally be visible, for example, under a user's avatar? Enquiring minds...

The answer about publicly visible is in my reply to 3rdguy.

Regarding the discretionary aspect; two things.

1. Our mods have lots of experience, and they wouldn't be mods if I didn't trust their judgement.

2. The reason for this is because we don't live in a black and white world. There are grey areas, and that's where judgement calls come into play.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
They are only visible to mods.

In the Xenforo (name of the forum platform we use) Forums, in a recent discussion about this, it was stated:

Arguably they shouldn't. They should be focussing on changing the behaviour that led to the warning(s), not seeing how close they can come without going over. That would lead to gaming the system, which would lead to more behaviour problems, not less.
Were I in that Xenforo forum I would simply tell them that it is not the place of the mods to be educators, nor is it within their power to change someone's behaviour (beyond an official warning or two and a subsequent permanent ban if such warnings go unheeded). This reminds me of the police departments foray into 'social/community programs' to 'prevent crime' through 'addressing the social situations that are the root of criminal behaviour': a wild goose chase and a budgetary black hole (and an excuse for nanny state antics). The job of the police is to enforce the law: the addressing of root causes is the realm of parents and educators or jails.

I agree that some would game the system: 'see how far I can get' or use it for gossip or vindictive purposes. These too are deep-seated behaviours that no mod can change. There is also the danger of increased snitching: vindictiveness through 'doing my civic "duty" ' and/or reporting people for inane reasons.

Frankly, **I** don't see the point in these points: back in that first forum I was a member of the moderation was a tight ship (but fair) and the rule was 'three strikes, you're out': two official warnings and a subsequent permanent ban on a third offence. To this day that forum has no flame wars, no profanity, no one pushing or gaming the system and no loss in membership either. In any case, I'm in favour of temporary bans: sometimes some people can cool off that way.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Were I in that Xenforo forum I would simply tell them that it is not the place of the mods to be educators, nor is it within their power to change someone's behaviour (beyond an official warning or two and a subsequent permanent ban if such warnings go unheeded). This reminds me of the police departments foray into 'social/community programs' to 'prevent crime' through 'addressing the social situations that are the root of criminal behaviour': a wild goose chase and a budgetary black hole (and an excuse for nanny state antics). The job of the police is to enforce the law: the addressing of root causes is the realm of parents and educators or jails.

I agree that some would game the system: 'see how far I can get' or use it for gossip or vindictive purposes. These too are deep-seated behaviours that no mod can change. There is also the danger of increased snitching: vindictiveness through 'doing my civic "duty" ' and/or reporting people for inane reasons.

Frankly, **I** don't see the point in these points: back in that first forum I was a member of the moderation was a tight ship (but fair) and the rule was 'three strikes, you're out': two official warnings and a subsequent permanent ban on a third offence. To this day that forum has no flame wars, no profanity, no one pushing or gaming the system and no loss in membership either. In any case, I'm in favour of temporary bans: sometimes some people can cool off that way.
Mods don’t educate or change behavior. They say “quit being dumb”, whether it’s points or pms.
When it gets to the point that a mod has to step in, it’s already too far gone - shouldn’t have occurred in the first place.
Strikes, points, whatever, don’t be a jerk is the objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.