PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I became a fan of the "8mm" after reading THIS interesting old article on Chuck Hawks' site years ago.

View attachment 30330
Nothing since can hit like the 8mm or 30-06. Pure physics says those rounds from back in the day hit like a hammer. You can take small rounds and make em faster and can carry more ammo into a fight but there is a reason the .50 cal is still around after 100 yrs

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I became a fan of the "8mm" after reading THIS interesting old article on Chuck Hawks' site years ago.

View attachment 30330

8mm is the 30-06 of European hunting cartridges. More than capable round. I never really was to into it other than buying surplus and reloading for a few of the rifles I had.

My main rifle cartridges for hunting are 30-06, 6.5x55, 300 RSAUM

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Nothing since can hit like the 8mm or 30-06. Pure physics says those rounds from back in the day hit like a hammer. You can take small rounds and make em faster and can carry more ammo into a fight but there is a reason the .50 cal is still around after 100 yrs

Swede 6.5x55 is still around after 130 years. There’s something to a smaller diameter long skinny bullet...

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Reactions: kurtbob

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Reactions: jaytex1969

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Up until 5 yrs ago, I worked for one of the company’s that is trying to get the contract for the new squad weapon and ammo. They were going for caseless for weight and a higher weight and case pressure for more punch on the projectile. It’s really cool to see the evolution

Reactions: jaytex1969

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
What factories?
Haven’t pulled them out but checking my bound book. The other one I’ll have to pull out as it was purchased before I needed to record them.

one is DOU 1944 (Brunn)
Another is S/27 1938 (ERMA)
I wanna say the other is an Oberndorf driving me crazy.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Haven’t pulled them out but checking my bound book. The other one I’ll have to pull out as it was purchased before I needed to record them.

one is DOU 1944 (Brunn)
Another is S/27 1938 (ERMA)
I wanna say the other is an Oberndorf driving me crazy.

Up until several years ago, I had a number of battlefield pickups. Some from shops, others from old guys at my legion club. Bought a few mixmaster RC’s too.

I believe the DOU stamping was a prison camp. Been outta the game for a few years. I’m getting/got rid of a lot of stuff in last several years.

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Up until several years ago, I had a number of battlefield pickups. Some from shops, others from old guys at my legion club. Bought a few mixmaster RC’s too.

I believe the DOU stamping was a prison camp. Been outta the game for a few years. I’m getting/got rid of a lot of stuff in last several years.
I have too man. (Been out of it) But not got rid of anything.

• Love

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA

But I still like the old Black Powder Cartridge stuff...

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have too man. (Been out of it) But not got rid of anything.

Well, matching #’s K98’s with the brand are worth some money. Especially if the bolt matches.

BF pickups mostly had matching bolts. And if they didn’t bother to get the bring back papers, were duffle cut. Surrendered weapons would have had the bolts pulled and piled up separately from the surrendered weapon. Then souvenirs would been grabbed from the pile of bolts and rifles, with the bolt 99.9% of the time not matching. Which normally would not be a problem unless the headspace was greater than .003-.004”. Then you might get a blast of powder in the forehead.